U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 PM

27 posts, read 28,657 times

Advertisements

As mentioned in my previous thread, I am transferring within the same company to our office in Denver.

Currently I live in a small town in flyover country, so I was prepared for sticker shock in housing. I just didn't realize how much of a sticker shock!

I understand supply/demand but it's hard to believe the economics of CO would justify $1400, 450-sq-ft studio apartments near downtown. I've been stalking padmapper for weeks now, focusing on uptown, Lodo, LoHi and RiNo areas (my job is downtown).

It seems I can get a 1-bed for about $1400, but some of those don't even include parking. Just a quick look at padmapper for NYC shows apartments in Manhattan for a comparative price. I know CO is a magnet state, but sheesh. I was hoping for a 1-bed in $1k-1200 range.

Any advice on where else to look? My main concern is my dog, a very well-behaved but 75-lb lab mix. He's quite lazy, and I take him for two walks a day so I'm not so much worried about the cramped space, but finding a place that 1)will allow him and 2)how do you all handle dogs during the day? Where I live currently, I can easily run home for a few minutes at lunch and let him out. I'm considering a 50cc scooter that I could park on the sidewalk downtown and run home at lunch, but I don't know how well that would work in winter.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:27 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,442,308 times
You aren't missing anything. To lower your rent, you have to move further away from downtown.

My last ditch near-downtown recommendation would be Capitol Hill/Congress Park/Cheesman Park.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Hmmm, ok just making sure haha. Thanks! Yeah, I've been considering a few options in that area as well as City Park, in addition to those nearer to the Cherry Creek shopping area.

Moving farther out is tempting, but I'm thinking I'll probably quickly spend the ~$200 savings on gas, as well as losing all hope of letting my dog out during my lunchtime. On the plus side, I think my office downtown has garage parking that I might be able to use at all hours, but I'm not sure on that yet.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,511,457 times
There is always doggie day care.
City Bark Doggie Day Care

Or you hire someone to let him out at lunch. Or rent a house with a dog door.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM

557 posts, read 668,452 times
There are studios available downtown for much lower than 1400. All depends what you're looking for.

Won't find much in cherry creek at your desired price point, with parking and a dog. We paid 1350 or so for a small, non updated 1bdr at Seasons of Cherry Creek. Included two garage spaces, and pet rent.

You can find something in Cap Hill in that range, but probably/maybe without parking.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,298,452 times
Is the Highlands neighborhood (just west of I-25 overlooking downtown) cheaper than LoDo? Or Capital Hill, or Uptown? Or Golden Triangle or south of there? Seems like you should be able to find something near downtown for $1000. I'd personally avoid high rise with a dog. It seems like a PITA to have to get on an elevator every time your dog has to pee. Or if you could find something very low in a highrise.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I'll look into dog daycare.

True, hitting up the elevator to let him out of a high rise is kind of a pain, but he is a very no-fuss kind of dog, and I walk/play with him at least twice a day for quite a while.

Being in my 20s, single and especially coming from a small town without much in the way of entertainment, it's important that I live in a social environment as well. A lot of things on my wishlist...hopefully I can check most of them off.

I'm looking into CityGate Apartments again on Brighton. I drove by on a visit and wasn't too crazy about the immediate surroundings, but it's a good pricepoint and only a mile or two to my work. I could probably run home or use one of the doggy daycares around Riverfront area.

My other very-downtown option is Skyline 1801. It's a bit pricey, but it's about 3 doors down from my work, and I'm still hoping my parking garage pass will be 24/7.

Anybody have opinions on Uptown Square apartments? Their "industrial" units don't look so much artistically distressed as they do just downright unfinished. But I like the area and the commute by bike on 16th going west seems great on Google StreetView.

Thanks everybody! If you have any more thoughts, keep them coming.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:14 PM

557 posts, read 668,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2go2co View Post
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I'll look into dog daycare.

True, hitting up the elevator to let him out of a high rise is kind of a pain, but he is a very no-fuss kind of dog, and I walk/play with him at least twice a day for quite a while.

Being in my 20s, single and especially coming from a small town without much in the way of entertainment, it's important that I live in a social environment as well. A lot of things on my wishlist...hopefully I can check most of them off.

I'm looking into CityGate Apartments again on Brighton. I drove by on a visit and wasn't too crazy about the immediate surroundings, but it's a good pricepoint and only a mile or two to my work. I could probably run home or use one of the doggy daycares around Riverfront area.

My other very-downtown option is Skyline 1801. It's a bit pricey, but it's about 3 doors down from my work, and I'm still hoping my parking garage pass will be 24/7.

Anybody have opinions on Uptown Square apartments? Their "industrial" units don't look so much artistically distressed as they do just downright unfinished. But I like the area and the commute by bike on 16th going west seems great on Google StreetView.

Thanks everybody! If you have any more thoughts, keep them coming.
We were less than impressed with Uptown Square. Toured it, and decided against it fairly quickly. Great area, not so great units, at least for what you have to pay.

We almost moved in to Skyline 1801. We were very close to signing a lease, and being one of the firsts in that building, but they are so damn small. Just by yourself though, it might be doable. They have an enclosed dog park on site, very nice finishes in the units, and a lot of amenities.

To answer the prior poster, Highlands is probably more expensive than most other areas, at least during our looking. And close by unit availability was very limited, and therefore very expensive (downtown prices).

I'll reiterate since I'm the resident Capitol Hill homer, check out Cap Hill. South of 13th. Great area for a youngish single guy with a dog. Close enough to bike to work downtown, public transit, lots of restaurants, bars, and groceries. Units go fast, but there will be occasional availability within your price point. Lot of younger people in the area, but far from the frat 2.0 vibe of LoDo.

We've lived in two mid rises since moving here. Have never had any issue taking the dog out. Sure, it would be nice to just be able to open the back door and let the dog out, but mid rise or not, you're not going to be able to do that in most rental situations. Don't worry about using an elevator.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,540,077 times
$1400/mo for a 450 sq ft apt seems very high to me, even downtown. I am not sure how padmapper sources it's info. Most landlords in Denver only use Craigslist. I am suspecting most of the stuff on CL is already rented before it makes it to padmapper, and the stuff on padmapper is largely inventory that is listed so high no one will rent it off craigslist. And hence, I would try craigslist. If you want a market rent apt is this market you are going to have to work for it.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm going for a place hunting trip in a couple of weeks so I'm preparing my short list of places to see. I'll take a look inside Skyline 1801. The photos look great. And I'll check out Capitol Hill as well.

Robert5, good point on padmapper. I don't know how often it refreshes. It does pull results from Craigslist, and I've found some promising leads, but I do notice a lot (esp. lower priced units) have already been removed when I click through. I assumed they were spam, but it may just not refresh often enough before they're rented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or