Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM

12 posts, read 18,498 times

Advertisements

Hello friends of the forum,

My wife and I decided about a year ago to move to Denver. So many things to do outdoors and a great place for jobs. I'm in finance and have been applying for jobs religiously for about 2.5 months. After a handful of phone interviews and my first face-to-face interview last week, I'm starting to worry about getting a job while actually living in Texas. I know I'm super qualified for many of these positions but it feels like I only get noticed on 1/10 jobs applied for and then they go nowhere. I only have $6500 in savings, but my wife and I, for lack of a better idea, are moving in with my mom for a month or two to try and get savings to $10k. My wife is going back to school to be a nurse, so I don't have to worry about her job situation. My question is at what point should I just pack up and move so I have a better shot of getting a job? I was thinking maybe end of October, but not entirely confident on that. I could always get a part timer while looking for work. Anyone here have experience with just making the move with no job offer? I mean in my interview last week, they even asked me do I plan on moving here regardless or only if I get an offer, so it's clearly on everyone's mind. Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM

347 posts, read 379,682 times
Do you have your current address listed on your resume? If so, I would omit it. You'd be surprised what it will do for you.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
You are probably going to have to move here first but I'd say your plan to save up 10K is a great one. I moved here with no job (and less money) and it was one of the best things I've ever done. Two things you need to do first are:

1. Get a local address, even if it's some sort of mailbox that looks like a real address (like the earlier post said).
2. Get a local phone number. Buy a Cricket phone with no contract. It's really cheap.

Obviously you need to be able to come to an interview once you get one but those two things will increase your chances. Also, rents are insane here compared to Texas so be prepared for sticker shock (ie. 1 bedroom = $1200 - 1500) but it sounds like you'll both be making decent money once you land those jobs.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM

12 posts, read 18,498 times
Yes, I've heard of that method, but it seems pretty obvious that I don't live there when I'm still employed in Dallas. I understand if I wasn't employed and there was no recent job to reference. I may just make the move come October if I don't have any luck by then. Oh, man. The rents are ridiculous compared to here. My place is 895 in Dallas. Pretty sure this place in similar location would be 1200-1300. Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
If you can't fly in for an interview, I wouldn't be applying yet. I started looking about 2-3 months before I moved. For your current job just put the date as (start date - 2014). Don't specify that you still work there. If your dream job wants to interview you, spend the money on a plane ticket and then figure everything else out. Otherwise, save as much as possible and move in October. That's what I did. I even worked bartending for a few weeks and then I found a great job after 2 months. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM

557 posts, read 810,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetmovin View Post
Yes, I've heard of that method, but it seems pretty obvious that I don't live there when I'm still employed in Dallas. I understand if I wasn't employed and there was no recent job to reference. I may just make the move come October if I don't have any luck by then. Oh, man. The rents are ridiculous compared to here. My place is 895 in Dallas. Pretty sure this place in similar location would be 1200-1300. Thanks for the responses.
Local phone number doesn't matter. I still have my original, and don't plan on changing. Becoming more of the norm these days.

There's another thread halfway down the page discussing out of town job prospects.

We moved in with my MIL for 6 months before moving. Sold our house (much quicker than anticipated) prior to our move, and set up shop until having the firm offer in hand. Allowed us to save a lot of $$$. Helps having a great MIL as well. I think it's a great idea to do so if she's willing to have you. We were literally throwing entire paychecks into savings for those 6 months. Helped us out tremendously.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:00 PM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post

2. Get a local phone number. Buy a Cricket phone with no contract. It's really cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Local phone number doesn't matter. I still have my original, and don't plan on changing. Becoming more of the norm these days.

A local number may not be a BIG deal, but if it helps even a little bit then it is worth it. As someone currently in the job market (again) and trying to get back to Denver from out of state I can tell you with certainty that I KNOW some of the calls I have received have been because I had a local number. My resume makes it clear that I am out of state, but having that local number can make a hiring managers or recruiter take a second look and reach out to you. If nothing else, they may want to clarify the situation and that's fine with me. I want a chance to talk to them, to let my personality come through and become a person instead of just another resume.

Don't waste money on a phone, get a free Google voice account that connects to your cell phone and use that.

Quote:
1. Get a local address, even if it's some sort of mailbox that looks like a real address (like the earlier post said).
I'm not a big fan of this for two reasons. 1 - Nobody needs that information in the age of email and cell phones. 2 - You are starting the conversation with a potential employer with a lie. If you can go all the way through interviews and hiring without blowing your cover then go for it; otherwise, I'd think twice.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 PM

79 posts, read 99,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I'm not a big fan of this for two reasons. 1 - Nobody needs that information in the age of email and cell phones. 2 - You are starting the conversation with a potential employer with a lie. If you can go all the way through interviews and hiring without blowing your cover then go for it; otherwise, I'd think twice.

I'm gonna disagree here. A local and phone number are IMHO essential in getting a position when you are out of state. You are not lying about anything - they asked for an address and you gave them one. Your mailing address. EVERY job application asks for an address be it online or otherwise - hence you ALWAYS need a local address because frankly there are just too many good people locally to have to worry about out of towners. I Never mention that I am not local but I make darn certain that if I am going to start in two weeks then I'll be there and ready in two weeks even if it mean flying back home and packing up over the weekends.

Once you get your foot in the door then your wit and wisdom and sparkle and shine will snag that job for you. I have very successfully used that strategy numerous times over the past 25 years to get jobs that would otherwise have looked me over for a local.

In town address and phone number are absolute essentials in most cases and for most blue collar jobs.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM

64 posts, read 66,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
You are probably going to have to move here first but I'd say your plan to save up 10K is a great one. I moved here with no job (and less money) and it was one of the best things I've ever done. Two things you need to do first are:

Obviously you need to be able to come to an interview once you get one but those two things will increase your chances. Also, rents are insane here compared to Texas so be prepared for sticker shock (ie. 1 bedroom = $1200 - 1500) but it sounds like you'll both be making decent money once you land those jobs.

1. How do you do this without a post office box? Would an extended stay address be ok?
2. Is Google voice ok, or do hiring managers frown upon those?

Also, are rents markedly higher in Denver as opposed to South Florida - for equivalent areas?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 AM

79 posts, read 99,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLar View Post
1. How do you do this without a post office box? Would an extended stay address be ok?
2. Is Google voice ok, or do hiring managers frown upon those?

Also, are rents markedly higher in Denver as opposed to South Florida - for equivalent areas?
1. The UPS Store
2. No one checks (or cares) who your phone carrier is

Regarding rents, all that you have to do is spend an hour on Craigslist and/or Padmapper and you can easily answer that question for yourself.

I can't help but notice that you have been "moving" someplace since last January. You put up polls , ask lots of questions , etc but haven't actually moved anywhere. I might suggest that if you've been thinking about moving for the last eight months and haven't as yet even checked rents on Craig's , that you may wish to rethink your relocation strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: