U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 PM
 
Location: cincinnati northern, ky
835 posts, read 2,609,532 times
Reputation: 180

Advertisements

..how many of you would say Golden is a nice area??? I am gonna be livin there and it seems nice and all, not ghetto or dangerous anyway i have been once and it seemed like the more upscale area of metro denver, am i right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 PM
 
Location: South of Denver
291 posts, read 1,916,803 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
..how many of you would say Golden is a nice area???
Golden is 'nice', but not as an "upscale" community. Yes, they have a few upscale neighborhoods nearby, but that's not the town's charm. It's very scenic and somewhat historic and "feels" isolated from the rest of the metro are due to its location behind two tall buttes.

The downside of the buttes are that sunrise/sunset yields a shorter day there, and TV/FM reception is poor there, although the towers are nearly over your head.

You might be referring to the "other" Golden areas who share a "Golden" mailing address, but are not part of the town. The ones to the east are more suburban feeling, and the ones to the west are typical "mountain" communities, some very nice, some very modest and dated, but very different than the town itself. Those communities are Lookout Mountain, Genessee, Mt. Vernon and others, but all have a Golden ZIP.

They are very suburban, no ghettos, little crime, and some lots are very isolated. This also means grocery stores and services aren't that close. The biggest "problem" are the tall TV towers near town, however, the 4 biggest will be coming down and will be replaced with one when the digital TV conversion is completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,674,043 times
Reputation: 5338
Home of Colorado School of Mines and Coors-- that pretty much sums it up! Dangerous? Any place could be dangerous-- but there's nothing to worry about in Golden any more than anywhere else. onthemove-- I've been following your posts over the last months, and I think Golden is a great choice for you! Have fun there, and keep us posted how your move turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 06:27 AM
 
Location: cincinnati northern, ky
835 posts, read 2,609,532 times
Reputation: 180
thankx guys, i am really lookin forward to colorado and this time there is just no doubt that i am ready, i am so anxious to snowboard its killin me its been over a year and i hope i havent lost waht lil skill i had, co is gonna rock

btw, tried rating u guys positivley but said i had to spread out my rep points or sumthin??? so moderator if u wanted to add on a few for them

yea i really love the view of golden from lookout mtn, but this is going to seem like a dumb question but why are there no houses or any building on top of the two lil plateaus? the houses all stop at the bottom of the hill, me and my friend were on llokout mtn last time i was in co and i asked him and he laughed he was sorta like, thats a good question i wonder how many other people have aske the same thing?

lol guess table mtn gets more snow than godlen since its like 6300' and golden is like 5700'

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-24-2007 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Merging 4 posts into 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 12:01 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Reputation: 9132
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
thankx guys, i am really lookin forward to colorado and this time there is just no doubt that i am ready, i am so anxious to snowboard its killin me its been over a year and i hope i havent lost waht lil skill i had, co is gonna rock

btw, tried rating u guys positivley but said i had to spread out my rep points or sumthin??? so moderator if u wanted to add on a few for them

yea i really love the view of golden from lookout mtn, but this is going to seem like a dumb question but why are there no houses or any building on top of the two lil plateaus? the houses all stop at the bottom of the hill, me and my friend were on llokout mtn last time i was in co and i asked him and he laughed he was sorta like, thats a good question i wonder how many other people have aske the same thing?

lol guess table mtn gets more snow than godlen since its like 6300' and golden is like 5700'
Developments have been proposed on the Table Mountains from time-to-time. There is a lot of local opposition to it since they are the open-space buffer between the original town of Golden and suburban Denver. Also, there is some of the areas there (especially in places on North Table Mountain) that are geologically unstable, and not great for building. That's also why a lot of Green Mountain, to the south, has not been built upon--unfortunately, there were some houses built there in some unstable areas that shouldn't have been, and it caused some real problems (and years of litigation).

Golden is a nice town--getting fairly pricey these days. I wouldn't call it a "happening" place for young people--it's no "party" town (unlike Boulder to the north). Also, don't be misled--Golden can get some significant snow events. The snow usually melts off pretty quickly, though, thanks to the fairly regular (and strong--over 70 mph, sometimes) warming Chinook winds. I've seen it snow close to 2 1/2 feet there from one storm, and then have most of it melted and gone in less than a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 12:14 PM
 
20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Reputation: 19080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
...snip... there are some areas there (especially in places on North Table Mountain) that are geologically unstable, and not great for building. That's also why a lot of Green Mountain, to the south, has not been built upon--unfortunately, there were some houses built there in some unstable areas that shouldn't have been, and it caused some real problems (and years of litigation).....
Jazzlover tells you no lies.... total co-incidence story time.... my sis back in MD knows a doctor and his wife.... they built a lovely home here in COL SPGS.... soil was bad....bentonite...expansive soils...been discussed here before.... the soils under their house swelled from moisture... foundation went crazy...walls cracked.... city declared the house unsafe to live in.... less than two years old... condemend it... now they live in MD, not CO. True.

I admit to little sympathy for those who build homes on coastal beaches in hurricane country, in forest fire zones, in flood plains on the river's edge, at the edge of cliffs in unstable or eroding areas of CA, and I sure don't want tax money bailing them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
j1n
 
Location: Southeast of the Northwest Territories
1,237 posts, read 4,138,042 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post
due to its location behind two tall buttes.
2 butts?!?!
sorry...i couldn't resist!!
my sister and her family have lived in golden for, well, seemingly forever. I haven't been in many years, but i think they've always been pretty happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,435,193 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Jazzlover tells you no lies.... total co-incidence story time.... my sis back in MD knows a doctor and his wife.... they built a lovely home here in COL SPGS.... soil was bad....bentonite...expansive soils...been discussed here before.... the soils under their house swelled from moisture... foundation went crazy...walls cracked.... city declared the house unsafe to live in.... less than two years old... condemend it... now they live in MD, not CO. True.

I admit to little sympathy for those who build homes on coastal beaches in hurricane country, in forest fire zones, in flood plains on the river's edge, at the edge of cliffs in unstable or eroding areas of CA, and I sure don't want tax money bailing them out.
we had some soils engineer tell one of our clients that they should not build on a lot they had bought. Well they did, not sure if the house is still stable lol, we had them sign a letter stating that we take no responsibility for the house after we issued construction plans. They went against what the soils engineers said, not good in my oppinion.

Golden is a nice place, my wife and I were looking there for a bit. Have not made any moves yet, just waiting for our house to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 06:06 PM
 
Location: cincinnati northern, ky
835 posts, read 2,609,532 times
Reputation: 180
yea table mtn is cool but then again so is ALL of colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top