Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM

25 posts, read 61,109 times

Advertisements

I have found it difficult to get ahead in the workforce in Denver. I am orginally from MS so I grew up with overt discrimination. So when a European person stabs me in the back because I am next in line to be their boss, I know it is because I am African living in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulate1 View Post
I don't understand how your place of employment can have a virtually colorless culture? Are you saying there is no discrimination in the workplace or are you saying black people act like president Obama and Tiger Woods?
I think you've watched that Chris Rock routine one too many times...

I think that what the previous poster meant by a 'colorless workplace' is one where racial differences are present and distinct but not a point of contention. When I lived in the Bay Area, there were people of about every race and nationality in the workplace and elsewhere. They were free to act according to their own custom and I was free to ask them about those customs without feeling uneasy. That's what I call 'colorless'... Embracing our differences for the richness they bring to society and not forcing anyone to fit into a certain mold just to gain acceptance as part of some great cultural majority. That requires open-mindedness, a positive attitude and mutual respect between people of every race, minority or not.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
As Mike said, check out the city-data stuff.

However, I have lived in Denver and it's pretty diversified. That being said, Not a huge population of blacks live there. Nor here in C Springs or many other places of Colorado.

Granted we do have the military in C Springs so our relative population of darker skinned folks (hope that's okay) is possibly higher.

With that said. Colorado has a large population of hispanics and oddly Japanese. People may think that we are a bunch of white folk in the western states but over all, we have a pretty diverse population.

Seeing as we come from all parts of the world, Colorado is pretty accepting of all nationalities and all colors.

Denver's hispanic population is higher than ours in C springs but the African/American population is lower EXCEPT for the military population down here which doesn't count in census reports. But a respectable amount of black americans (god I feel weird saying that) live in Denver and are a good group of people for the most part.

BTW, for a little bit of trivia, one of the first police officers in Colorado Springs (yeah you want Denver but I don't have that book) was a black man. The west was a great place for blacks to come to to avoid the problems with the south, the Civil War and find a life for themselves. Many blacks have even been photographed in the old west photos as cowboys here.

Colorado is a good place as long as you are a good person. Black, white, hispanic, Asian, green (speaking of liberals hehe). hehe Obviously that last one was thrown in there. But yeah, all you need is to be a good person and people will embrace you no matter your race.

BTW, I have some friends from the Maryland area. You will be sadly disappointed with the seafood here. A lobster doesn't care what color you are but when it's flown from the coasts, you will not be happy. Get to know some of the local foods like buffalo and even, get this, ostrich. Seems odd but it's good stuff.

Probably didn't help much but welcome to CO if you come. We are a diverse people here and us "natives" (born and raised) are more than happy to welcome new people to our state.
Thanks so much. The information was very helpful. I will do my homework and pursue the move to a more peaceful location.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,699 times
I just landed in Denver from Baltimore(Edmondson Village) by way of Atlanta. I am only out here for work(6 months) I was concerned about the population but I have to say everyone that i've met black white blue green or yellow have been real nice. I was surprised. Im staying in Aurora and work in Bolder. Aurora might be like a larger columbia MD. I understand there are some areas in Denver(city) that may have that inner city living feel. I willl say one thing the landscape is beautiful and they are building like crazy out here.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:54 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
When I toured around Colorado a few weeks ago my husband and I made a comment about how few African Americans we saw, especially in Vail and Aspen where we saw none at all. In Downtown Denver we saw maybe one in twenty. It is not Atlanta or Memphis for sure.
As a bi-racial person, 1 of them being Black...I say, so what? What is seeing another Black person in (Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction or Aspen) going to do for me that others cant or I for myself? Make me feel comfortable? I cant walk on my own.

In addition, the population of Blacks is not an indicator of success/failure. For example, Atlanta is a very competitive, crab-bucket mentality town. I have relatives there and decades of living in ATL has them screwed up, pretentious and downright selfish...Its a shame that they've been there all their life.

However, I do notice most of the Blacks I encountered in Denver had accents similar to Africa, or were African. Once you go outside of Aurora, thats pretty much what you run into. And at the risk of sounding mean...but I find them to be particularly annoying. Some tend to be totally obnoxious...Like the grown man sleeping inside the study area of the library the other day next to me. I just wanted to say, hey! You making us Blacks here look bad!

(I was picked on last week for talking about Mexicans...but trust me, give me any race here in America and I can go to town on them, even my own

Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 24,917 times
Well, I can say that there is a lot of racial diversity in Denver and you can see a number of blacks, hispanics and whites - although you don't see asians as often but hanging around the Vietnamese part of Federal Blvd. and perhaps the Buddhist temple on Lawrence street...

Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,617 times
When are you planning on making your move? I will be moving to the Denver area in June from Washington, DC. (born and raised) and that is my same concern as well. Let's stay connected. That way we will know each other...LOL.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,309 times
Default Where is a good place to stay if you are a single African American female visiting for a Weekend Trip?

I want to be in a culturally diverse, tolerant area. I am particularly interested in a Hotel with great views of the mountains...

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,252 times
I am a native of Colorado, and I've lived here for nearly 45 years. I am very knowledgeable of this state in terms of the racial population, and I know Denver very well. Oh, btw, I am Black and female (actually I am cinnamon brown: ). I am also a college graduate of this state, and I would not have chosen to reside here. My aunt moved here from Georgia in the sixties to excape an abusive relationship. However, I believe that she should have moved to another city in GA or continued west to California. I don't want to live here for the remainder of my life. There are over four million Whites and less than two-hundred Blacks who reside here. The racial lines still devide the population in terms of social interactions. Each racial group has social interactions amongst themselves which limits social and professional opportunies for the very low number of Blacks who reside here. I plan to move to GA when time allows. I do not know what it is like to live within a large population of Black people. GA has over a million and a half Blacks! I have lived with over four million Whites my whole life. I would like to experience another aspect of life, and have more social and professional opportunties. That's important to me.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Colorado Native View Post
I am a native of Colorado, and I've lived here for nearly 45 years. I am very knowledgeable of this state in terms of the racial population, and I know Denver very well. Oh, btw, I am Black and female (actually I am cinnamon brown: ). I am also a college graduate of this state, and I would not have chosen to reside here. My aunt moved here from Georgia in the sixties to excape an abusive relationship. However, I believe that she should have moved to another city in GA or continued west to California. I don't want to live here for the remainder of my life. There are over four million Whites and less than two-hundred Blacks who reside here. The racial lines still devide the population in terms of social interactions. Each racial group has social interactions amongst themselves which limits social and professional opportunies for the very low number of Blacks who reside here. I plan to move to GA when time allows. I do not know what it is like to live within a large population of Black people. GA has over a million and a half Blacks! I have lived with over four million Whites my whole life. I would like to experience another aspect of life, and have more social and professional opportunties. That's important to me.
You can easily know that there are more than 200 blacks in the State. I assume you meant to say 200,000 blacks. The Census Data from 2010 indicates 201,737 blacks with a State population of 5,029,196 with 4,089,202 whites.

As a white man, I find living in Colorado much more pleasant with the much less racial tension when I was growing up in New York. I have also lived and work in NYC and lived in Harlem for a time, when there were severe racial conflicts in NYC.

Having lived in other Eastern States and the South, this place is comparatively wonderful for racial harmony. The blacks I know here, have reflected the same thoughts, especially those who came from those area.

I have known and interacted with more blacks here--been to their home and they have been to mind with good comfortable relationships. I have extended family here, who all moved to Colorado as adults. We all have Black friends, neighbors and the children interact with black children and have them at their birthday parties. It is no big deal; it is our new life. It was not that way, in our time in New York with many more blacks.

However, I am in my sixties and I have been here for about 33 years, so my memory is of a past time. I know that in other states and regions attitudes and behaviors have changed but I also know that some has stayed the same. I am white, you are black and have a different perspective but you knowledge is only of this area. I think it is definetly worth a look to see another area with more blacks. I think you will be positively and negatively surprised and you may or may not be happier. I wish you luck.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-30-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver