U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 AM

1,246 posts, read 919,200 times

Advertisements

Not sure how you can beat Sprout's pricing. I like it cuz they don't have 4 isles of cereal and chips. Pretty much everything you need to be healthy.

KS is the #2, but as said before they are kinda dark and dirty feeling inside.

Safeway is nice inside but overpriced.

Whole Foods...complete rip off aside from meat and fish. They do run specials, and some of the best steak I've ever had came from there. I refuse to pay $8 for a bag of fair traded, non gmo, vegan, low carbon footprint, gluten free potato chips. chips are chips. Eating the WF chips wont make you ride your bike like lance Armstrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,071,616 times
If you buy in bulk then Costco is going to be cheapest. My wife and I buy a few things there (if we had a bigger family I'm sure we'd buy more there), but the majority of our shopping is done at King Soopers, and then a few specific items we like to buy at Trader Joe's. Luckily, both KS and Trader Joe's are about a mile from our house so we hit both in one trip (always KS first and then TJ!). Costco is a trip we only need to make maybe every 3-4 weeks.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0lady View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips - think I'll check out both Sprouts and SuperTarget tomorrow. FWIW I saw a couple references to KingSooper being not so clean. I found that their locations vary greatly. The one in Arvada closest to the 70, a lower to middle class neighborhood) is kind of meh (at best) but the one around 90th and Westminster (a nicer neighborhood) had far better selection and is noticeably cleaner so with KS it's a your millage can vary (a lot) kind of a thing. I'll have to make a TJs run sometime too
Yeah, I've noticed they all vary too. I prefer Albertson's because it's clean (the one in Lowry) and not overcrowded like the Stapleton King Soopers.

We get a lot of our groceries at Super Target, plus a couple times per month I hit Trader Joe's. Sprouts is great for produce, but we don't have one near us.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 AM

1,149 posts, read 983,216 times
When I was in Dallas, Walmart had better prices than Krogers (King Soopers equivalent there) but in Denver, King Soopers has better prices in almost all things than Walmart.
I only go to Walmart now mostly for non-grocery shopping like electronics, tools, gardening etc... that's not in King Soopers.
Sprouts is very good for fruits and vegetables. Has more variety and prices are great.
In some seasonal fruits, it's insanely cheap.
I've bought peaches, plums and many other fruits there as cheap as $1/3lb.
Same thing in Walmart never goes below $1/1lb.

King soopers also has great prices on fruits and vegetables but only few items beat Sprouts price.
Target is only for non-grocery items but when I'm already there, I don't mind paying little more on fruits/vegetables instead of driving to another store for few cents cheaper price.
Whole foods is good bit little bit overpriced.

However, Walmart has price match policy so if you have something to show price of same item, they match it without any fuss.
I think King Soopers also has price match.
Not sure about sprouts.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 AM

22,734 posts, read 16,180,953 times
I tend to only buy stuff when it is on sale, doesn't matter which store I am shopping in. I live in an area with multiple locations for each of the three big supermarkets, plus multiple Walmarts, Targets and Walgreen's. Also have a Sprout's and a Natural Grocers.
I do rotate between them as each one has a little something different.

My preferences in the following order:

Safeway - I shop here for pretty much all of my everyday stuff and always make sure that I use my phone app to get the best values and to maximize my gas rewards. I prefer their store brand paper products to any others that I have tried, as well as their store brand pasta sauces and soda.

Albertson's - meat sales (the buy one, get two cannot beat) and their brand of frozen pizza and whatever else might be on sale that I want to stock up on. Their fried chicken is the best. They also have a great selection of baked goods.

Sprout's - this is my go-to place for fruits and veggies and some meats. I love their sausage and they always have great deals on boneless chicken thighs.

King Sooper's - Of the big three, I shop here the least. Generally, the only time I go in the store is when I want something from the deli section, and then I'll wander around to see what's on sale. I don't like their store brands as much as either Safeway's or Albertson's.

Others:
Walmart to stock up on personal products and cereal that I have coupons for and Walgreen's for specific sale items, also with coupons. Once in a while I'll go to Target, but, I rarely buy groceries there.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 AM

1,149 posts, read 983,216 times
Forgot to mention.
I also have Costco and Sam's Club memberships.
I like Costco better than Sam's Club.

Frozen vegetables are the best in Costco.
They are high quality and if you compare prices, they come out about the same price of crappy store brand vegetables.
For example, if you buy store brand broccoli at Walmart or King soopers, it has very few crowns and more stems but Costco has mostly crowns.

Also, Costco is my source for big peaches (5lb for 6.99 but is much high quality than Sprouts), mangoes, Bread, Rice, Cereals, Peanut butter, peanuts and many more.
I think their membership fee is covered just by their great price on Post Honey Bunches cereals.
I haven't seen them cheaper anywhere, not even online.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 AM

254 posts, read 428,411 times
Like DB, I love this salsa from Target:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I get fruit and veggies at Sprouts, and typically buy most other items at SuperTarget and King Soopers. As others have noted, some KS are great, others are run-down. The checkers are generally crabby and the shelves are frequently poorly stocked at the KS near my house. The KS a few miles away is much better. The Safeway bakery is pretty decent.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM

86,886 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I tend to only buy stuff when it is on sale, doesn't matter which store I am shopping in. I live in an area with multiple locations for each of the three big supermarkets, plus multiple Walmarts, Targets and Walgreen's. Also have a Sprout's and a Natural Grocers.
I do rotate between them as each one has a little something different.

My preferences in the following order:

Safeway - I shop here for pretty much all of my everyday stuff and always make sure that I use my phone app to get the best values and to maximize my gas rewards. I prefer their store brand paper products to any others that I have tried, as well as their store brand pasta sauces and soda.

Albertson's - meat sales (the buy one, get two cannot beat) and their brand of frozen pizza and whatever else might be on sale that I want to stock up on. Their fried chicken is the best. They also have a great selection of baked goods.

Sprout's - this is my go-to place for fruits and veggies and some meats. I love their sausage and they always have great deals on boneless chicken thighs.

King Sooper's - Of the big three, I shop here the least. Generally, the only time I go in the store is when I want something from the deli section, and then I'll wander around to see what's on sale. I don't like their store brands as much as either Safeway's or Albertson's.

Others:
Walmart to stock up on personal products and cereal that I have coupons for and Walgreen's for specific sale items, also with coupons. Once in a while I'll go to Target, but, I rarely buy groceries there.
My basic shopping strategy as well, but we no longer have a Safeway in Louisville or Lafayette. I do like Safeway's brands better than Kroger/KS. Sometimes I go to the Safeway in Erie or Superior for that reason. I do shop at the Louisville KS a lot. Albertson's is on my way home from work, hit it often for that reason. DH has a Costco membership and he likes to buy paper goods there. I/we rarely shop for food there; there are just the two of us now, so no need for huge quantities. We just got an Alfalfa's in Louisville; I've been there a few times. They are the closest grocery store to me, so it's sometimes worth the extra $$ just to save time.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:41 PM

12,247 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Costco and King Soopers for my family. KS by us is very clean and there are actually 3 within a 6 mile radius of my house.

Costco for bulk items and their meats. We don't buy produce at Costco.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:03 PM

370 posts, read 394,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0lady View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips - think I'll check out both Sprouts and SuperTarget tomorrow. FWIW I saw a couple references to KingSooper being not so clean. I found that their locations vary greatly. The one in Arvada closest to the 70, a lower to middle class neighborhood) is kind of meh (at best) but the one around 90th and Westminster (a nicer neighborhood) had far better selection and is noticeably cleaner so with KS it's a your millage can vary (a lot) kind of a thing. I'll have to make a TJs run sometime too
A friend of mine who works for Kings said they have basically 5 types of stores -- Value, lower-mainstream, mainstream, upper-mainstream, and high end, based on the neighborhood. The speed/frequency of remodeling and type of merchandise varies depending on which store it is.

If you're talking about the one on 58th and Kipling, that is a "value" store. 84th and Pecos is a "value" store. 104th and Washington is "lower-mainstream," but probably soon changing to "value." 104th and Federal/120th and Colorado are "mainstream."

80th and Wadsworth is probably "upper-mainstream," and is one of the Kroger/Kings companies crown jewels. Since it opened back in the late 70's-early 80's (I remember shopping there with my grandparents), it's been one of the companies busiest stores. There was a small indoor mall around it up until a few years ago that slowly died, it's been mostly demolished so it could be turned into a Super Soopers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or