U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 17,303 times

Advertisements

Hey all, have checked the back issues of the site, and cannot find anything about concealed weapons permits and whether they are issued there in the Springs.....anyone have any info about this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,553,735 times
I know my father has one here in the denver area. I will ask him if he has any info for you.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 AM

326 posts, read 1,233,124 times
Contact your local ATF field office. They will direct you to necessary department.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 7,443,281 times
On the website of the NRA/ILA you can find a link to all the information you need about gun laws in every state. Do a GOOGLE using "NRA/ILA" as the search terms. I can't recall whether it is NRA/ILA.com or NRA/ILA.org . That is why I suggest using Google. Besides that I own a few shares of Google.

Gl2

Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM

106 posts, read 400,513 times
Colorado is a "Will Issue" state. Therefore once you pass a test, pay your money and pass a background they HAVE to issue you a CCW permit. Call your local Sheriff's office.

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp

Old 12-26-2007, 01:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,021,962 times
I am 100% sure I posted on this before...you have to get the permit from El Paso County and not from the city of C Springs Police department.

They've changed their website but you can find out more by calling them or through their site: http://shr.elpasoco.com/

It varies from city to county to state laws...a concealed weapons permit may not be legal in Denver even if you can carry in the Springs.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,021,962 times
In reflection, I could be wrong.

It doesn't hurt to just call the Colorado Springs Police Department and El Paso county Sheriff to find out what you need to do to get a concealed weapons permit.

CSPD 444-7000

EPCS 685-9400 (don't rely upon that one....Dexonline.com is kinda sucky and google didn't net me their number. How lame.)

Old 12-26-2007, 01:19 PM

106 posts, read 400,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
It varies from city to county to state laws...a concealed weapons permit may not be legal in Denver even if you can carry in the Springs.
I know that Denver tried to out and out ban CCW's, but I know to at least some degree that law was over turned in the courts.

It's best to either talk to the Denver PD, or a CCW instructor as to what you can and can't do in Denver. By going to a CCW training class they will go over all this stuff.

I think it's VERY important to point out, that any advice you find in a forum (given by me or anyone else) on subjects like this should be taken with a grain of salt. When in doubt, contact your local Law Enforcement or a licensed trainer. Because if you get this stuff wrong, you can find yourself on the wrong side of the bars quickly!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:37 PM

4 posts, read 22,721 times
Can't for the life of me find figure out to make the link active, but I hope this site helps. http://www.cssa.org/portal/page.php?10 (broken link)

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-27-2007 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Trying to make the link work.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 PM

2,629 posts, read 2,350,727 times
Concealed carry permits are good in Denver and with a few exceptions, you can carry almost anywhere. The permit is also legal in many other states.

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.
(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

(b) A peace officer may temporarily disarm a permittee, incident to a lawful stop of the permittee. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the permittee prior to discharging the permittee from the scene.

(2) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked.

(b) A permittee who is employed or retained by contract by a school district as a school security officer may carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvement erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school while the permittee is on duty.

(c) A permittee may carry a concealed handgun on undeveloped real property owned by a school district that is used for hunting or other shooting sports.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

(6) The provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.

Source: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 647, § 1, effective May 17.

They can take up to 90 days to issue.

I got mine in 60 days from jefferson county.

Call or look up your county sheriffs website.

Here is the info for jefferson county.

http://co.jefferson.co.us/sheriff/sheriff_T62_R9.htm

If you want to read the state law.

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp

Last edited by High Altitude; 12-26-2007 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or