Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like the OP hasn't really experienced many cities to be so incredibly down on Denver. Go live in Tulsa for a year and then let's hear how "flat, dead, white, blah, hot, suburban" Denver is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,108 times
It's a valid opinion. Denver (downtown) is a lot nicer than some inner cities I've been to and a lot less nice than others. My favorites in the 48 US are (in order): San Francisco (for the food, views & setting), DC (for the museums, monuments and other free stuff), and San Diego (for the zoo, museums and proximity to bay/sea)… NY, Seattle, Portland and Milwaukee rank near the top too. I think anyone who's been to a lot of cities and is objective would have to rank Denver in or near the top 10 because it really is pretty nice overall. My only complaint is the food, but that's really an all-of-CO problem and not so much Denver (it's actually better in Denver than elsewhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
30s, not 30's
50s and 60s and not 50's and 60's
I don't believe there are any clear cut grammatical rules for that, since they're all colloquialisms and not formalized lexemes. (sort of like 14ers or 4Hers, etc…) If you really want to go crazy reading about contemporary grammar and correct punctuation, read Lynne Truss's "Eats Shoots & Leaves"

Last edited by otterprods; 09-10-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
30s, not 30's
50s and 60s and not 50's and 60's
I'm a fellow grammar lover. As such, I believe it's '50s and '60s.

Quote:
If you want to abbreviate the year, you can use an apostrophe to replace the initial two and zero, for example, writing, “What are your plans for '08?” If you want to refer to a whole decade, for example if you want to reminisce about the '80s, you write '80s with an apostrophe replacing the 19 and an s at the end. I loved the '80s. And you don't need an apostrophe before that final s (10, 12, 13).

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu....yX85qUOS.dpuf
As for the OP, yes, Denver offers more for the suburban family than the urban single. In any case, I hope you can find something to enjoy while you're here.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,157 times
I will be honest, there is a part of me that wants to blast you for being down on my hometown, but the truth is I know Denver isn't for everyone and you have some very valid points. I also haven't lived there in the last 20 years, so my opinions are tainted by faded memories, childhood idealism and my burning desire to get the hell out of Tucson.

I do think that one key part of your experience has been this:

Quote:
Move: I was mainly looking to "transfer" my urban experience in Chicago to here in Denver.
No matter where you move, I don't think you can take the experience of one city and transfer it with you to another. Attempting to do so will always lead to disappointment and you will be left wondering why you moved away from all of the things you like.

It seems to me that moving to a new city requires at least an attempt to embrace what new city is all about. Again, I am not trying to slam you, but if you are to the point that you are judging the gas stations then it's a good thing Denver is temporary. Good luck with wherever you go and please do share more thoughts if you have them; they may not make everyone happy, but they are sure to be valuable to other people who look at Denver in the future.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:13 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
...No matter where you move, I don't think you can take the experience of one city and transfer it with you to another. Attempting to do so will always lead to disappointment.....
True True True

There is only one Big Apple, one Chi-Town, one City by the Bay, one Tinseltown, etc. Comparisons will always be odious and trying to do so only leads to a bummer. If we celebrate the differences, the quirks, the uniqueness of one to the other we will have far better outcomes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 PM

473 posts, read 848,862 times
Quote:
On that note, it is quite disturbing to see many run down old gas stations that look like they are from the 50's and 60's. I cannot imagine anyone would want to buy gas from these gas stations
Actually I quite like these gas stations. Small and old (not shiny) does not equal run down. The one near my house (Conoco) is easy in and out, has free air and reasonably priced oil changes and tire fixes. Friendly staff, full serve for those who actually want it. Plus, the pumps don't have TVs blaring at you and force you through three screens of up-sells just to fill up.

And, inside there's a tall drinking fountain which looks straight out of the 60s. No complaints.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 PM

347 posts, read 425,338 times
Careful what you say about Denver on these forums....you'll get deleted for saying anything other than, "Oh wow, this place is great! Food rocks! Scenery amazing!" I've lived in Denver for awhile and everything you said is spot on. I leave next week! Can't wait!

Old 09-10-2014, 01:00 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post

No matter where you move, I don't think you can take the experience of one city and transfer it with you to another. Attempting to do so will always lead to disappointment and you will be left wondering why you moved away from all of the things you like.

It seems to me that moving to a new city requires at least an attempt to embrace what new city is all about. Again, I am not trying to slam you, but if you are to the point that you are judging the gas stations then it's a good thing Denver is temporary. Good luck with wherever you go and please do share more thoughts if you have them; they may not make everyone happy, but they are sure to be valuable to other people who look at Denver in the future.

Agreed. I have lived in many parts of the US and they all had their pros and cons. Constantly comparing one place to another is not helpful and may even interfere with getting to know the new place where you moved to.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,229 times
I agree with most of your comments.
My intent was not to bash on Denver.
My purpose was to give someone coming from a similar situation as me a perspective about Denver.

Overall I have enjoyed my time in Denver.
It has been a fantastic experience.
All cities have their pros and cons.
Denver does seem to be a GREAT place to raise a family.
The park system here is amazing and I really enjoy the urban/nature interface that Denver provides.
And there is great local food that I am truly going to miss - for example Santiago's breakfast burritos.
And downtown Denver does seem like it VERY up and coming.
The Union Station development is a great example of TOD (transit oriented development) and should be a model for what much of the rest of the city needs.

However my point is that Denver was not what I was hoping for - and just to be clear that is okay.
This was clearly a learning experience for me on what I value.
And my main concerns about Denver is that for it to continue to improve there are lots of changes that need to be made.
For example - the sprawl in Denver is incredible.
I completely agree that the city is planning for the future by having DIA so far from the city center.
However by having the airport so far away they are really encouraging the sprawling nature of the city in addition to the car-centric attitude of the region.
Instead they should be focusing on building more transit oriented developments throughout the city to encourage riding public transit including buses, expanding light rail, people walking/biking to work.
Having a city that sprawls to a great extent only encourages more driving, more traffic, longer commutes, more pollution, and overall a less desirable city.

One last thing in regards to Denver being land locked.
Obviously I knew that Denver is not on the coasts. I am not stupid or blind.
However what I meant by Denver being land locked is referring to the fact there are no large river, lakes, or reservoirs in the area.
One must go to the mountains to either go to Dillon Reservoir or Lake Granby to go to any appreciable body of water.
Many cities that are physically "land locked" are either near large rivers or lakes.
That was my intent with that.

I appreciate all your comments.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
Careful what you say about Denver on these forums....you'll get deleted for saying anything other than, "Oh wow, this place is great! Food rocks! Scenery amazing!" I've lived in Denver for awhile and everything you said is spot on. I leave next week! Can't wait!
If you think it's bad on the Denver forum, you should try a few other cities, which shall remain nameless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver