U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:04 AM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Shameless plug for neighboring state - you might also check out New Mexico. From the link in the post above, our average rate is a little lower ($63k vs $66 k) but our cost of living is significantly lower, which would save you money in the long run. We also have a serious shortage of qualified medical people, nurses included, and the pay rate might be higher in the smaller cities (which is pretty much anywhere but Albuquerque). Central NM has great weather, northern NM gets some snow but not horribly bad (except ski areas which are supposed to get it), and South NM has milder winters but hotter summers.
I had a response with links but I had some computer problems and it got blown away. But the bold isn't true. The highest salaries are in Albuquerque. That is the case with nursing/health care salaries in general-the highest pay is in the larger cities. If anything, the smaller places bring the "average" pay down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Shameless plug for neighboring state - ...
(hint... Look NORTH!)

WY and SD for sure!!!

NO INCOME tax,
More money, better recreation (for more 'roughing it' outdoors, with NO PRESSURE from crowds, but,,not well equipped for Downhill Skiing, that is what UT is for) and NICE men. (fewer in number than CO, but worth the effort (not much effort required). Quality of WY guys is superb!!!

WA or AK would be better for pay and still no income taxes and great medical jobs. Not if you like sun...

BEST of both.,,I would head to SLO CA. There are affordable places to live there and a lot of nice guys! CA will kill you with taxes... so get to be a contract nurse and spend your time off in CA (no more than 180 days /yr... tDO NOT trigger taxes form CA!!~). I fly back and forth to San Diego from 'cloudy' PNW for $19.90each way to take a sunbreak (often).

I did ~30 yrs in Colorado. It is nice too. I would even not consider Denver, as I prefer no crowds and quick access to outdoors. CO is nice for Bike riding and variety, and access to airport. Colorado Springs would be city of choice. Ft Collins will provide 1 hr to WY and medical jobs in Colorado.... there is VA in Sheridan, WY and Sturgis, SD. VA benefits for nurses is continuing EDU FREE! Maybe you can get 4 yrs of training in San Antonio @ Ft Sam. That is pretty sunny (but 3 hrs from beach). NO INCOME taxes in TX! My sis did the RNA thing at VA.. now $150k+ for PT and on-call.

You are young. Give them all a try.
The contract life is not so bad when you are young (or retired). I preferred working nights and having my days FREE. No BOSSES is nice too. Oh... and no stink'n 'cry-baby-dayshifters' (those on the 'career path)

Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,518,333 times
You should move to wherever you can find the best nursing job.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 AM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
You should move to wherever you can find the best nursing job.
That's true, but you have to decide what "best" is. Is it best pay? Go to CA. Best experiences? Big city teaching hospital. Rural nursing? Obviously, a rural area. School nursing, public health nursing? The choices are endless.

You can make decent pay and get good experience in Denver. That's the type of job I'd recommend for a new nurse starting out. But the city doesn't have to be Denver, it can be anywhere.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:49 AM

59 posts, read 80,876 times
I'm from Wilmington, NC...living in Houston and moving to Denver in Oct. Do not even waste your time with MB, go 45 mins north to Wilmington or the OBX. As mentioned previously, Charleston sounds like a good option; it still gets cold in NC/SC, not snow on the coast, but cold, windy and rainy during the winter. I always thought it was depressing and honestly other than the beach and drinking, there is nothing to do.

Raleigh pays more, but its 2 hours from the beach. Any coastal town is going to have a tough job market and you have to deal with the tourist season.

I'm a beach girl from the start, but I am extremely excited about moving to Denver! The mountains are actually better than the beach and lots more to do year around. Denver has 300+ days of sunshine and amazing outdoor activities and it really really is "Menver". More males than females and with the oil field present, it has a pretty darn good job market.

Rent between 600-900, doesn't really exist in Denver, but if you're able to afford 1,500+, there are a lot of options.

Honestly, you sound like a San Diego girl, but the cost of living doesn’t really break even with the quality of life. I say, Charleston or Denver, you’re in a good job market with no reason to be tied down…check them out, if you don’t like it move on, but in my experience it takes 2 years to get use to a place and find solid friends….just a tip 
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or