Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:32 PM

8 posts, read 45,127 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm new here in this forum and would be new to Denver when I come. I'm relocating to Englewood Colorado with my work. My work is in Englewood, what I knew is that Englewood is suburb of Denver. I'm planning to live in Englewood too to be near my work as I've a disability.

I've never been anywhere in US, I have 2 main concerns actually..

1- Crime rates: Is Englewood a safe neighbourhood? Safe to be living there & rent an apartment? Safe to walk (or drive my adaptive bike) around? What times considered dangerous to go out? Also would I worry about crimes like in intruding or breaking into my home during the day or night?

2- I accidently came across knowing about the wildlife in Denver, so is Englewood & places like 16th street considered to be having active wildlife (coyotes, Foxes...)? Also how much that could be a concern for someone like me (because I'm handicapped)? How safe or unsafe I could be with this? Keeping in mind I've never been near wildlife before, and never even dealt with a dog closely. Also something to consider, I've read one of the instructions to haze coyotes away is to make yourself big, I don't know how this could be done specially I'm also unfortunately small sized short & skinny girl (maybe a size of a school girl).

It's worth mentioning that I've thought in the begging that Denver is suitable as I read it's among the most adaptive & accessible cities in US.

Please let me know as much details as you can to help me with these 2 big concerns. I truly appreciate your help. Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 06:12 PM

11,812 posts, read 34,268,187 times
Englewood is more than a neighborhood, it's a city. Where are you coming from? Where in "Englewood" will you be working?

You could be close to Denver, and you could oout in the middle of the DTC, as "Englewood" is a popular mailing address.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:23 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,572,529 times
Yes, you'll see lots of wildlife on 16th Street, but not the animal kind LOL. It's a mall smack in the middle of downtown Denver, and sometimes can have some very strange people.

You really don't have to worry about encountering any kind of dangerous wildlife in the whole Denver metro area unless you are living someplace that backs onto a very large open space on the fringes of civilization. We used to live near the Denver Tech Center and would have foxes running through the greenbelts and sometimes had raccoons nearby, but they are not dangerous to humans. More infrequently we would see coyotes in the larger open space areas, but they don't attack humans. Small dogs and cats, yes!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:23 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,545,432 times
Where is work?
Address or cross streets?

Most of the coyotes never come north of the Mexico-USA border.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 AM

Thank you all for the replies

My work would be in the area with the zip code 80110, I plan to live in the same are or around trying to keep max distance between me & work under 1 mile. So how safe this place is, in trems of both crimes & wild animals?

For 16th street, so do you mean that it's not very safe to be there even in the day alone to go shopping & so? (Of course considering my handicap). For going out I'd be using my adaptive e-bike as I don't walk long distances.

I'd be coming from Dubai, I've been living in Dubai for quite some time now.. so it's actually very safe here for anyone to even walk in the street at the middle of the night, but I know that this is not the case in most countries around the world even not the case in my home country before living in Dubai years ago.

Last edited by Agapanthus; 09-22-2014 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 12:46 AM

18,136 posts, read 25,669,029 times
My mom and my older brother knows about 80110. Older part of Englewood for sure, they live in the So. Lipan/Chenango area. Have been there since the early 1960's. And have had to call the law just twice since they moved in. Good neighborhood!

Some parts of Englewood can be a tad sketchy, IMO best to stay west of Broadway to Mariposa going east to west and Quincy to Chenango north to south. Good parts of Englewood can include the area around Swedish Hospital (Clarkson and Girard area.)

Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,040,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
My mom and my older brother knows about 80110. Older part of Englewood for sure, they live in the So. Lipan/Chenango area. Have been there since the early 1960's. And have had to call the law just twice since they moved in. Good neighborhood!

Some parts of Englewood can be a tad sketchy, IMO best to stay west of Broadway to Mariposa going east to west and Quincy to Chenango north to south. Good parts of Englewood can include the area around Swedish Hospital (Clarkson and Girard area.)
I live in the 80110, and I'd recommend staying north of Hampden - south of Hampden is where it starts to gets a tad sketchy.

Oh, and here's an Englewood wildlife story for a few years back (he was spotted on my block):

Mountain Lion Sighted in Englewood, Littleton - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Old 09-22-2014, 02:08 AM

Ah thank you.. my work is neither north nor south I guess.. it's w hampden street is north or south and is it safe or dangerous.. also what about the safety in S Pearl street?

Also for both places I mentioned here plus 16th street... What time could be dangerous to be out alone? I mainly mind my own business in public places specially that I need to pay attention to my physical movement & others movements around me to be physically safe regarding my mobility issue.. From what everyone is saying about wildlife shouldn't be a concern as they don't attack human..

so my remaining 2 main concerns is about safety at home by night when sleeping in my home alone is there a worry of intruders.. And safety while walking / driving my ebike around the area.. how safe good or bad are these places I mentioned above?

Thank you so much again for your help.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:52 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
What is your housing budget? That is going to dictate what kind of neighborhood you are in.

Englewood is mostly quite safe. Where on W Hampden is work?

S. Pearl Street is among the safest areas in the city. I would walk alone there at any hour.

16th Street is safe. Very crowded. There are homeless folks that hangout there and some crazy kids, but it is still very safe for the most part. After 2am it is a little crazy sometimes, but nothing to worry about. Most of the post bar craziness downtown is on Market Street, but from the sounds of it you won't be out at 2am so I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,572,771 times
Englewood is mostly safe. I'm attaching a link to the City of Englewood website which has a link to a crime map. City of Englewood, Colorado : Crime Mapping This should give you an idea of the areas that tend to have more crime then others.

Coyotes are a problem if you have small pets but it's extremely unlikely that you would be attacked by one. I've seen a couple outside and they were quick to run away as soon as they saw me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver