U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 17,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to move to the Denver area and retire there after a few years. We will be in our late 50s. We are looking for places in Denver that satisfy the following criteria:

-Gated community that does not restrict by age
-View of the mountains
-Will start by renting (in the $1500 per month range) but looking to buy a 2 BR 2 Bath condo/townhome in the 250K to 300K range - cannot afford more
-Amenities must include decent Tennis courts and perhaps Yoga and Bridge and availability of other senior activities with like-minded couples
-Preferably close to airport as we plan to travel a lot
-Not necessary but it would be good for my wife to find Asian Indian communities/families/restaurants/stores/cultural associations nearby

Your suggestions on potential places/cities/ and gated communities will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 19 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,310,762 times
Sorry, gated communities are in the upper price ranges. There are a few apartment communities that are gated, but not many. The HOA fees in gated communities are significantly higher.

I'd look at master planned communities or recreation districts for classes.

You may reconsider the active adult communities like Eagle Bend in Aurora, and Anthem in Broomfield.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1918 View Post
My wife and I have decided to move to the Denver area and retire there after a few years. We will be in our late 50s. We are looking for places in Denver that satisfy the following criteria:

-Gated community that does not restrict by age
-View of the mountains
-Will start by renting (in the $1500 per month range) but looking to buy a 2 BR 2 Bath condo/townhome in the 250K to 300K range - cannot afford more
-Amenities must include decent Tennis courts and perhaps Yoga and Bridge and availability of other senior activities with like-minded couples
-Preferably close to airport as we plan to travel a lot
-Not necessary but it would be good for my wife to find Asian Indian communities/families/restaurants/stores/cultural associations nearby

Your suggestions on potential places/cities/ and gated communities will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot!
I moved here from CA where gated communities were prevalent and I used to live in one. So naturally I started out looking to replace what I had. However, gated communities are not prevalent here. They are either in a not so nice area, age restricted or for the very wealthy. Your price puts you right at middle class so unless you are willing to give up that requirement I don't think you will find something not in the above catagories. You may be more comfortable without a gate out in the sticks but that will go against the desire for Asian Indian communities/families/restaurants.

Senior based activities are exclusively in 55+ communities. So you need to decide one or the other. Age restricted or senior activities. You won't find both. However the new meetup groups will enable you to make the social connections you desire no matter where you choose to live.

I'm sensing in the travel requirement you want lock and leave. Those are really best for the 55+ communities.

Views of the mountains can be had anywhere. It goes unit by unit or house by house, not city by city because we all face the front range. Once you zero in on an area then that is the time to have your realtor sorting by mountain view. Unless that is the most important thing, then they can sort the entire front range and take you to those with a mountain view.

Fudging on your requirements some I think Heritage Bend 55+ Aurora comes close:
23600 E Mineral Place - Listing # 3319598 - Sarah Hertzenberg
Heritage Eagle Bend Golf Club - Aurora, CO

Very safe. Lock and leave. Gated.
Tennis courts.
In Aurora which has the largest Asian Indian concentration.
Very far off views of the mountains but very pretty setting.
You could offer $300K on a home as the lowest priced one is $340K.
Sr. activities
Grocery store, restaurants and shopping nearby.

I don't think Anthem Ranch Broomfield is a good choice because the closest one to your price range is $338K and it is right under the airport landing and take off pattern. However if there is nothing you like better than seeing small planes overhead and watching them land and take off this could be an option. Otherwise most of their homes are much more expensive.

Last edited by mic111; 09-24-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,528,397 times
I doubt there is a gated community near the airport. Start over, eliminate either the "near Airport" or "gated community" requirement. As has been said, very few gated communities, and most of those are million dollar plus hoods.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Yes, I may have to relax some requirements - particularly, the one about being close to the airport. I guess, being a 30 - 45 minute drive from the airport should be okay. And it looks like the age restriction would not work for me as children/grandchildren should be able to visit and live with us - I checked out Heritage Bend (Thanks mic111 for the suggestions). With this in mind, I may start my search again for a subdivision with tennis courts in the Aurora area. Thanks a lot for your observations and thoughts. Let me know if you have additional ideas.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:09 AM

A couple of other options:
Here is a ranch style home with low maintenance yard within walking distance to public tennis courts. It will be near the 124th rail station when it comes in 2018. It has 3 bdrms so you can have an office and a guest room.
3267 E 123rd Ave, Thornton, CO 80241 is For Sale - Zillow
The area is safe but not gated. Eastlake is wonderful to walk around.
Very easy access to the airport.
It is easy and cheaper to hire your yard maintenance done than to pay monthly HOA fees for it.

Not a strong Asian Indian population but then Denver overall is pretty white so not very diverse anyways.
Not alot of restaurants right there (very suburban) but many things will come with the rail station including hip places to eat. Restaurants are not far, just not walkable.

Many of these condos in Erie have mountain views. They are in the sticks so not gated but I doubt you will feel the need for it. They are well under your price range so more $s for travel. They are easy access to the airport. They are for all ages. It is a huge development with a community center with tennis courts.
2900 Blue Sky Cir UNIT 5-208, Erie, CO 80516 is For Sale - Zillow
Probably not much Asian Indian population. Restaurants will be in old town Lafayette, Louisville, Broomfield, Westminster by I-25. Some very cute old town areas in the above and they are very close.
http://vistaridge.net/am_communitycenter.htm
Edit: Forgot to add that it is across the street from Anthem Ranch so loads of seniors in the area to make friends with.

Last edited by mic111; 09-24-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 PM

695 posts, read 801,842 times
Try Jurassic Park, I mean Heather Gardens in Aurora. Long known as the bastion of the golden years.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:02 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,528,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Try Jurassic Park, I mean Heather Gardens in Aurora. Long known as the bastion of the golden years.
LOL on the Jurassic Park line. But she specifically stated she does not want to be in an age restricted community, probably for the very reason you refer to it as Jurassic Park. But it is right next to the cemetery....

Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM

This one gives me the sense that when we start the search actively, we will find something that suits us. Thanks a lot mic111 for locating this. One concern just came to me: is aircraft noise not a factor in the Thornton or NE Denver area? Maybe I should be revising my criteria . Also, where can I find the rail station development plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
A couple of other options:
Here is a ranch style home with low maintenance yard within walking distance to public tennis courts. It will be near the 124th rail station when it comes in 2018. It has 3 bdrms so you can have an office and a guest room.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1918 View Post
This one gives me the sense that when we start the search actively, we will find something that suits us. Thanks a lot mic111 for locating this. One concern just came to me: is aircraft noise not a factor in the Thornton or NE Denver area? Maybe I should be revising my criteria . Also, where can I find the rail station development plan?
I think you have to be much closer to the airport than this. We live very close to this listing and it is rare to hear an aircraft. Usually there is a low lightening storm blocking the regular runway or something that causes them to change the flight pattern. It is so rare that it is not a concern. Sometimes in the evening you can see the lights when they have the takeoff ones going before they turn them out and they are headed this direction but they are so high when they go over that I've never heard them for this type of flight pattern. Occasionally (very rare) we see the black helicopters or the medivac helicopters going over.

Here is a link to the North Metro RTD map.
North Metro Rail Line Home
The rail line uses the existing rail tracks. They will be building the stations and associated infrastructure.

Last edited by mic111; 09-29-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver