U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,712,197 times

Advertisements

OK...I've seen the wiki, checked the data points, and read the C-D posts. It looks like we may be moving there soon. The block looks good (and is away from the industrial area) if low income. Crime looks moderate for Denver (primarily property crime, so obviously lock the doors at night and don't leave anything you actually want to keep on the front lawn).

Does anyone live in or around the Valverde neighborhood? (6th Ave, S Platte, Alameda, Federal)

I see there's no neighborhood association...is there any kind of community organization here? How safe do people feel? Neighbors...friendly? Stand-off-ish? How are the local restaurants and markets? (I see a lot of Mexican and Asian...any of them good with Vegetarian food? How about good Carne Asada for when my brother comes to visit? How's the produce?) Kid friendly? Schools don't look that hot, but we don't even have kids...yet...Pet friendly? Does anything happen in this neighborhood? Markets, get togethers, holiday events...I notice there are only two actual parks in the neighborhood...good weekend activity? (Soccer, BBQ, Basketball?)

Just trying to get some anecdotal perspectives from people that actually live in or near the Valverde neighborhood (Sun Valley, Villa Park, Barnum, Westwood, Athmar Park). I know a couple of those neighborhoods tend to be fairly active (at least informally, for instance family weekends in the park, etc...)

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:58 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,990,604 times
I have close friends who've lived in Barnum at about Hooker & 2nd since the late 70s; they've always been comfortable living there, I've always been comfortable visiting there. They did not have kids. For me, the closeness of the South Federal restaurant strip is a huge plus for the area.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM

9,580 posts, read 5,774,299 times
I don't know any specifics about the neighborhood but I think that Federal has some of the best restaurants in Denver. There was a food series in the Westword called "A Federal case" where the writer reviews almost every single eatery on Federal. It makes me hungry reading it.
Denver - Restaurants and Dining - Cafe Society

Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,619,414 times
I had a friend who lived off of W Alameda and S Dale Ct for about 3 years and he was happy to finally be able to sell his house so he could leave. He had a lot of issues with petty crime (i.e., stuff being stolen from the yard, etc.) and it got to the point where he and his family were tired of dealing with it. Schools were also not that great, though they knew this prior to moving to the area. They thought that since they were involved parents, the school situation would be ok -- but instead, they had a lot of issues with classes being taught in Spanish and generally, expectations were very low. Prior to his experience in Valverde, he was more or less the "urban pioneer" type, but now he and his family are renting near the Highlands and seem a lot happier.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't look at the area, but I wanted to share his experience.

EDITED to add: my friend moved out of Valverde about two years ago (~2012), so this info is fairly recent.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM

13,228 posts, read 24,345,041 times
I had a friend just move out of Athmar Park, just south of Valverde. His house was nice, he sold it for a huge profit, and he had a magnificent backyard view of downtown. His immediate block was nice.

My kids used to play baseball and football at Barnum East Park (now destroyed), and I've shopped/ate in the area/etc.

The first thing that came to my head when I read your post was, "Welcome to the barrio homes".

I wonder why you are considering it. To be honest, I don't think you'll find anything positive that you hope to find there (aside from the ethnic food).

Old 10-02-2014, 05:14 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,530,584 times
I lived in Villa Park. I would say Valverde (didn't even know it had a name) is the worst neighborhood that I can think of West of I25. I would certainly not live there if I had school age kids.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,712,197 times
Appreciate all the responses!

We weren't looking in that area intentionally, but this market in our price range is pretty brutal on buyers right now. We've been beat out in places including Athmar Park, Villa Park, East Colfax, Ruby Hill and Englewood...but rents continue to rise and our money continues to get flushed down that pipe instead of building some kind of equity while retaining a decent place to live. We don't have kids (yet), but this is a first house for us and not necessarily our ideal...just wanted to fish for people's opinions, and am definitely seeing what I expected to see.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:00 PM

323 posts, read 428,697 times
What's the price range? Have you looked Harvey Park (might be a little too pricey)?

How about NW Aurora near Anschutz? I don't own a crystal ball, but if you want equity, NW Aurora is going to keep surging. See:

- Parts of Denver and Aurora still make list for flipping homes - The Denver Post
- Abandoned Stanley aviation factory taking flight as Aurora biz hub - Aurora Sentinel

There was an awesome vegetarian place on Federal, but it closed a few months ago. Pho 95 makes some great vegetarian items. Tarasco's (Federal & W. Virginia) does some awesome Mexican vegetarian items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or