U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:09 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,128,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
This thread really needs to end. I'm not sure what additional value is being added here. All, let's agree to please stop debating the OP on these points. It's clear this individual isn't happy here, has formed their hardened opinion on what Denver is and is not, and is choosing to complain to anyone who will listen or refute the experience they are having.

Your experience is what it is and your opinions and thoughts have been duly noted; Denver isn't for everyone and it's a bummer it didn't work out for you here.
This. And I am pleased to say I will have positive things to report at the end of this week.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,008,106 times
"BOULDER," Proudly saturating the rental market with stoners since 1967."

Old 11-04-2014, 03:32 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,128,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
"BOULDER," Proudly saturating the rental market with stoners since 1967."
Maybe some people like to live like that. Not this guy.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:43 AM

459 posts, read 671,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I seriously suspect you are lying. Seriously.
About what? Living downtown? Or not seeing a plague of zombie stoners eating people's heads off or whatever your latest claim is?

Do I smell MJ once or twice a month in the summer while wondering around? Yeah it lasts a few seconds and I move on BFD. That's not an epidemic, that's not even a minor annoyance, and compared to how some of the alleys smell passing by or the cigarette smoke it's barely noticeable. Only a few people I know smoke pot, and I have never had issues finding roommates who do not. I am not sure what your problem is, but you seem to be quite intent to scapegoat others for your mistakes, you clearly did not research the rental market in Denver before coming, and that's on you, not the stoners.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 AM

595 posts, read 671,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This. And I am pleased to say I will have positive things to report at the end of this week.
So, it's been a week and a half. What is the positive news? I looked but didn't see it.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 AM

305 posts, read 319,900 times
After reading all 18 pages you just know Ms.Craving, is grumpy. But why shes grump is the hilarious part. First off how the heck does someone actually pack their bags and MOVE somewhere without even looking up average rent prices and population trends? I mean really, its 2014, who wouldnt research before they make a major life decision? Shes acting like its 1989 where she didnt have the resources to do so. It literally takes 120 seconds to find out Denver COL. Like the entire time you were packing and stuff, you didnt atleast stop and think , hmm, maybe I should check the prices out there? I mean people on this forum look this stuff up even YEARS before they move, you went there, THEN found this out? Moments like these make me ahshamed to be a fellow American.

Secondly, its fine youre mad you didnt do a simple google search before you hopped on a plane and made a major life choice. But dont say CO doesnt have any justice to its price, you know about all the outdoor stuff, but the economy alone is very rich right now... Im a current prospective engineer student and the fact earlier this year Denver had more Aerospace Jobs open than Seattle/Chicago is insane. The job market alone justifies it. Wish I could say the same for Florida. Which brings us back to why you left FL in the first place...

And lastly you said Potheads are running up the low-end market? Define 'low end' Denver rent prices, seriously, after bills and gas money and everything, you seriously think a potHeAD, someone who sits around ALL day and smokes weed can even afford that? If you sit around smoking weed all day, how the heck are you affording anything? And actually theres alot more potheads in Florida than youd think.. like someone else said, most cops dont even care down there anymore, Florida law is so bad, Cops, the show has whole seasons dedicated just to Florida, dont even get me started on FL. I have a good friend who spent the last of his money in his bank, on generic cough syrup to put in his coffee maker to get high on, hes from Tampa. Those Floridaman tweets are legit. People get high everywhere, but you make it sound like anyone who smokes weed errday can just move to Denver, come on now lady.

Though, one thing I will say about FL vs CO, CO can barely compete with FL universities.. seriously, as a College student this is the main reason Im not there now... All it really has on a national level is the CO School Of Mines, UC Boulder is literally known for a place for rich parents to dump their kids. They dont even care about acceptance anymore they just want your money. And its a crap load of Out of State students. Plenty good students there but really, 22K applicants and they still accept 90% of them, jeez.

Florida State(Top 5 national Criminology/CJ program and great film school) and UFlorida (Great national engineering school, even has students intern with NASA(The top ones) there in Florida) alone are better than all of Colorados university education put together, and I didnt even include UMiami, UCF, or any other Florida Unis. Florida K-12 though? We wont talk about that... CO wins that hands down. But yeah Higher Ed? FL hands down. I hear employers dont even take UC Boulder grads as serious anymore, especially after that Im shmacked vid that went on there. Now THAT place is somewhere Id consider a pothead place. UC Boulder, lol
And Im Smacked made vids at Ohio State, UFlorida, UCLA, UTexas.. huge Unis. But in that UC Boulder vid, it.was.weed.EVERYWHERE. Barely saw weed at the other Unis. One guy was even passed out on the floor.

Denver is my dream location post-graduation though... dont know if itll be a reality though...
And yes, I know what kind of salary I need before I could even think of going out there

Last edited by Black_Sheep3; 11-17-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,485,460 times
Florida kind of sucks once you've seen Disney World. For endless reasons.

I seriously doubt stoners are driving up rental prices. I moved here from Jersey for a better quality of life - didn't even know pot was essentially legal. Spent the first week after I moved driving around going "Why do I always smell skunks and why are there so many shops with green signs?" Denver rental prices were laughably low to me. And the cost of owning a house compared to my state? HUGELY cheaper.

And florida might have a lower COL, but I think with the public transportation, the social services and logistics of managing one's life here are just better than in Florida. I could be wrong about that, but the lower-income folks here seem to have a higher quality of life than in FL. Denver just rates very highly in quality of life in general for any income rung. Florida? Not so much.

People in general - not just stoners - WANT to live here. Particularly young people.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 PM

6,903 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post

Though, one thing I will say about FL vs CO, CO can barely compete with FL universities.. seriously, as a College student this is the main reason Im not there now... All it really has on a national level is the CO School Of Mines, UC Boulder is literally known for a place for rich parents to dump their kids. They dont even care about acceptance anymore they just want your money. And its a crap load of Out of State students. Plenty good students there but really, 22K applicants and they still accept 90% of them, jeez.

Florida State(Top 5 national Criminology/CJ program and great film school) and UFlorida (Great national engineering school, even has students intern with NASA(The top ones) there in Florida) alone are better than all of Colorados university education put together, and I didnt even include UMiami, UCF, or any other Florida Unis. Florida K-12 though? We wont talk about that... CO wins that hands down. But yeah Higher Ed? FL hands down. I hear employers dont even take UC Boulder grads as serious anymore, especially after that Im shmacked vid that went on there. Now THAT place is somewhere Id consider a pothead place. UC Boulder, lol
And Im Smacked made vids at Ohio State, UFlorida, UCLA, UTexas.. huge Unis. But in that UC Boulder vid, it.was.weed.EVERYWHERE. Barely saw weed at the other Unis. One guy was even passed out on the floor.

Denver is my dream location post-graduation though... dont know if itll be a reality though...
And yes, I know what kind of salary I need before I could even think of going out there
Ummmm

CU Boulder is Top 10 in the country in Aerospace Engineering, Environmental Law, Physical Chemistry, Geology, Ceramics, and Quantum Physics. They are top twenty in many other fields.

CU also has also the #1 Atomic Physics program and #2 Geosciences program in the country.

CU Med School is ranked Top 10 in the country for Pediatrics, Family Medicine, and Rural Medicine. They are #13 for Primary Care.

Colorado State in Ft. Collins has the #3 ranked Veterinary Medicine program in the country.

The University of Denver has a top 20 Hospitality Management program in addition to having some aspects of it's law school ranked in the top 20.

As you mentioned, Colorado School of Mines is always on the lists of top engineering schools.

I should add as a disclaimer that I did not attend college in Colorado, but your take down of Colorado universities needed to be refuted. Colorado is certainly a much smaller state than Florida, but to claim that CU is a bad school is just ignoring facts. There is a strong focus on science fields at CU. The Business and Law schools, while not top tier, are no slouch programs either.

The thing Colorado universities seem to not do very well at is athletics with the exception of DU's hockey and lacrosse teams.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:50 PM

12,245 posts, read 8,033,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Ummmm

CU Boulder is Top 10 in the country in Aerospace Engineering, Environmental Law, Physical Chemistry, Geology, Ceramics, and Quantum Physics. They are top twenty in many other fields.

CU also has also the #1 Atomic Physics program and #2 Geosciences program in the country.

CU Med School is ranked Top 10 in the country for Pediatrics, Family Medicine, and Rural Medicine. They are #13 for Primary Care.

Colorado State in Ft. Collins has the #3 ranked Veterinary Medicine program in the country.

The University of Denver has a top 20 Hospitality Management program in addition to having some aspects of it's law school ranked in the top 20.

As you mentioned, Colorado School of Mines is always on the lists of top engineering schools.

I should add as a disclaimer that I did not attend college in Colorado, but your take down of Colorado universities needed to be refuted. Colorado is certainly a much smaller state than Florida, but to claim that CU is a bad school is just ignoring facts. There is a strong focus on science fields at CU. The Business and Law schools, while not top tier, are no slouch programs either.

The thing Colorado universities seem to not do very well at is athletics with the exception of DU's hockey and lacrosse teams.
Thank you for saving me some typing.

CSU's football is hot this year.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 PM

6,523 posts, read 10,191,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Ummmm

Colorado State has the #1 Occupational Therapy graduate program in the country, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Thank you for saving me some typing.

CSU's football is hot this year.
At 9-1 the Rams are riding an 8-game winning streak, and are ranked 22nd in the AP Top 25 and 23rd in the Coaches Poll. They have an outside chance of playing in the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day.

On top of that, sophomore WR Rashard Higgins is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, and QB Garrett Grayson is one of the 17 officially-sanctioned Heisman Trophy candidates. Yes you read that right...the Heisman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver