Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I don't plan on staying in someone's house long either, which is why I won't sign a lease binding myself to such a thing.

And I wouldn't live in any of those cities because it is expensive. Denver is like a cloak and dagger with its cost of living. Never before has Denver been known as an expensive place, but it 1000% is and it needs to be known.
There are any number of threads on this forum going back two-three-four years that note exactly that.

There are also many articles noting the same.

For example:

Denver, CO - Forbes

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

"According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the cost of living in that Colorado region has jumped 13.6 percent since 2009.

Higher housing costs — which rose 5 percent between the first half of 2013 and the first half of 2014 — largely was responsible for the overall increase, regional commissioner Stanley Suchman said."

Cost of living in metro Denver increased 13.6 percent in five years - The Denver Post

In any event, I came across this - there are a couple that claim to have apartments in your price range.

Short Term Lease Aurora Apartments For Rent - Find Short Term Lease Apartments in Aurora, CO

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:37 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 AM

229 posts, read 423,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There are any number of threads on this forum going back two-three-four years that note exactly that.

For example:

Denver, CO - Forbes

"According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the cost of living in that Colorado region has jumped 13.6 percent since 2009.

Higher housing costs — which rose 5 percent between the first half of 2013 and the first half of 2014 — largely was responsible for the overall increase, regional commissioner Stanley Suchman said."

Cost of living in metro Denver increased 13.6 percent in five years - The Denver Post

In any event, I came across this - there are a couple that claim to have apartments in your price range.

Short Term Lease Aurora Apartments For Rent - Find Short Term Lease Apartments in Aurora, CO
Well said and thanks for posting all that Tiger. OP does sound disgruntled as if it was some big secret how high rents were here. A simple search on several sites would have revealed this long before this person moved here. And to reiterate what someone else said about Denver being nothing spectacular, that may be true from your standpoint and totally cool if you feel that way. However, the rest of the people wanting to move here would highly disagree with you and the fact that rents are so high is because supply is quite low and there are just a lot of people wanting to move here that are both able and willing to pay those prices.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:37 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

For example:

Denver, CO - Forbes

Thank you for the link. I am aware of more affordable housing in the southeast Aurora area. My problem is that I work in Golden. The commute every day would just be hell. It seems like everywhere for an hour of any direction from Golden is super expensive.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times
Quote:
Thank you for the link. I am aware of more affordable housing in the southeast Aurora area. My problem is that I work in Golden. The commute every day would just be hell. It seems like everywhere for an hour of any direction from Golden is super expensive.
Not everyone can afford to live here unfortunately... Sorry you are seeing this only now after you've moved. Did you check on rent prices before moving here? If so where did you check? Just wondering why the rent prices are such a surprise now...

Moving here from NYC we of course find the prices affordable but our vision is skewed (grounded) by the prices we saw in NYC. But we knew exaclty how much rent was, since it's no secret online and on padmapper.

We've seen a similar problem in NYC - people would feel entitled to live where they wanted to and would cry and moan about the prices and how unfair it is. Unfortunately you are only entitled to what you can afford. Nothing more. There are cheaper cities out there.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 AM

85 posts, read 206,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
How much more is it really to buy pot in Florida than Colorado? If you buy the small amounts you are allowed in Colorado, what are the chances of anything bad happening to you if you get caught with that in Florida?
Yeah, and considering taxes, I'm guessing weed is actually cheaper in Florida. And really, your chances of getting arrested for possession down there is pretty low, unless you are stupid enough to have it in your car when you get pulled over for driving like an idiot.

Funny, but out-of-staters seem to be the only ones obsessed with our pot laws. It's been legal for all intents and purposes for what, 15 years? Now that it's been made official, there are lots of people trying to use it as a scapegoat for all of our state's ills.

Housing prices were insane way before legalization. But like other people have said, you're paying for quality of life. I moved up here from Florida too, and the weather, lower crime rate, higher pay rate, beautiful scenery, and recreational opportunities are well worth the jump in rent. Florida can't hold a candle to Colorado. You get what you pay for.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Any place where the economy is growing and attracting new residents with good paying jobs is going to be expensive, and again, most of it goes back to supply and demand.

For example, Houston (my hometown) is the same way. Houses inside the Loop (i.e. urban locations) are easily selling for a Million dollars, often with multiple offers. Same as what you see in desirable Denver neighborhoods.

We visited Charleston, SC over the summer. In areas comparable to Stapleton where we live now (areas like Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island etc) would easily cost as much as here, if not more. The income tax rate is almost 8%! The COL for a comparable lifestyle for us would exceed Denver, but it has not stopped or slowed down the real estate market there. It's South Carolina....I never would have guessed that, but the city is growing exponentially now.

So, there are lots of places besides those you always hear about (NY, CA) that are comparable to Denver. There are also lots of cities that are much less expensive; and you can live there if you want to. It's all about a balance of your personal priorities.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Not everyone can afford to live here unfortunately... Sorry you are seeing this only now after you've moved. Did you check on rent prices before moving here? If so where did you check? Just wondering why the rent prices are such a surprise now...

Moving here from NYC we of course find the prices affordable but our vision is skewed (grounded) by the prices we saw in NYC. But we knew exaclty how much rent was, since it's no secret online and on padmapper.

We've seen a similar problem in NYC - people would feel entitled to live where they wanted to and would cry and moan about the prices and how unfair it is. Unfortunately you are only entitled to what you can afford. Nothing more. There are cheaper cities out there.
I mostly just looked at craigslist. And I was very excited for the job opportunity so I didn't do enough research. I had never been told that Denver was an expensive place. Only now is it making these "expensive cities to live in" list. Seattle, San Diego, DC, San Fran, NY..... We all know those are expensive places to live. It is only now being discovered that Denver is the same way.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Any place where the economy is growing and attracting new residents with good paying jobs is going to be expensive, and again, most of it goes back to supply and demand.

For example, Houston (my hometown) is the same way. Houses inside the Loop (i.e. urban locations) are easily selling for a Million dollars, often with multiple offers. Same as what you see in desirable Denver neighborhoods.

We visited Charleston, SC over the summer. In areas comparable to Stapleton where we live now (areas like Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island etc) would easily cost as much as here, if not more. The income tax rate is almost 8%! The COL for a comparable lifestyle for us would exceed Denver, but it has not stopped or slowed down the real estate market there. It's South Carolina....I never would have guessed that, but the city is growing exponentially now.

So, there are lots of places besides those you always hear about (NY, CA) that are comparable to Denver. There are also lots of cities that are much less expensive; and you can live there if you want to. It's all about a balance of your personal priorities.
Those places you mention are only expensive in certain neighborhoods. Denver is expensive everywhere.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Marijuana is responsible for the tight rental market? Hmmm. That's the first time I've heard that one, but let me mull that over for a moment...

Nope. Thought about it, and I just don't think that's the case.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
I mostly just looked at craigslist. And I was very excited for the job opportunity so I didn't do enough research. I had never been told that Denver was an expensive place. Only now is it making these "expensive cities to live in" list. Seattle, San Diego, DC, San Fran, NY..... We all know those are expensive places to live. It is only now being discovered that Denver is the same way.
No, most of us have known for years that Denver housing was expensive and on the rise. No one was keeping this a secret. YOU are the one now discovering that because you didn't do your due diligence before moving. That's on you, not on anyone else, regardless of whether the use legal marijuana or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver