U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,128,038 times
Reputation: 3308

Advertisements

What on earth is with the rediculous rent prices in this city? And the competition for an apartment, especially in the lower income brackets is insane.

Seriously, what $600 will get you in Florida you have to be willing to spend $900-$1000 here in Denver. And be locked in with rediculous lease terms.

Why is this happening? Jobs pay the exact same here as they do in Florida yet cost of living is 40% higher. I really don't understand why. And don't say it's because of snowboarding because with the cost of living as high as it is I can't see any of the people I have met who moved here recently able to afford snowboarding.

My guess is the stoners. The number of people who I have met who smoke pot on a daily basis here is astonishing(and gross). They are jacking up the cost of living and hey don't care about the price as long as they can satisfy their drug habits legally.

 
Old 10-09-2014, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
2,394 posts, read 4,299,385 times
Reputation: 7531
Supply and Demand, nobody wants to live in Florida. Everyone wants to live here.

I can't even sell my house I still have in Florida even with taking a big hit. It's just a dead market right now.
 
Old 10-09-2014, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,522 posts, read 10,187,795 times
Reputation: 9752
Certain sectors of the economy are on fire right now and have been for the last 2-3 years. IT, healthcare, BioMed, and energy are all big players. Denver took a pretty big hit when the housing market went south and it took the builders awhile to ramp construction back up.

Plus, as snikt said Denver's a desirable place to live. The people who moved here for legal pot aren't having nearly the affect you think they are; they're just an easy scapegoat.
 
Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,128,038 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Supply and Demand, nobody wants to live in Florida. Everyone wants to live here.

I can't even sell my house I still have in Florida even with taking a big hit. It's just a dead market right now.
Florida is the 2nd highest growth state in the nation, only behind Texas, so saying nobody wants to live there is just untrue, and completely off topic.

And what type of person is wanting to move to Denver? I can say that of the four roommates I have lived with since arriving here that three are new arrivals like me and the three new arrivals blaze out on an almost daily basis.
 
Old 10-09-2014, 02:08 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,128,038 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Certain sectors of the economy are on fire right now and have been for the last 2-3 years. IT, healthcare, BioMed, and energy are all big players. Denver took a pretty big hit when the housing market went south and it took the builders awhile to ramp construction back up.

Plus, as snikt said Denver's a desirable place to live. The people who moved here for legal pot aren't having nearly the affect you think they are; they're just an easy scapegoat.
I work in the healthcare industry. That is what brought me out here, but the pay increase I received doesn't even come close to matching the cost of living increase.
 
Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
2,394 posts, read 4,299,385 times
Reputation: 7531
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Florida is the 2nd highest growth state in the nation, only behind Texas, so saying nobody wants to live there is just untrue, and completely off topic.

And what type of person is wanting to move to Denver? I can say that of the four roommates I have lived with since arriving here that three are new arrivals like me and the three new arrivals blaze out on an almost daily basis.
It's not off topic at all, it's all about supply and demand. I know many people that live in FL that are completely under water on their houses, the housing market there is really bad. This is not a sign of high growth.

In Colorado housing prices, rental prices are going through the roof. This is a sign of high growth. One drive around here and you'll see how many places are under construction. Never saw that in the 27 years I lived in FL.
 
Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,522 posts, read 10,187,795 times
Reputation: 9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
It's not off topic at all, it's all about supply and demand. I know many people that live in FL that are completely under water on their houses, the housing market there is really bad. This is not a sign of high growth.

In Colorado housing prices, rental prices are going through the roof. This is a sign of high growth. One drive around here and you'll see how many places are under construction. Never saw that in the 27 years I lived in FL.
Yup. Our house has gone up 20% in value since we bought it 3 years ago, and that's a very conservative guess based on comps I've seen. It's a nice change for us coming from Dallas. Our house there never appreciated. We bought it for $185,000 in 2003, sunk about $30,000 into upgrades, and sold it for $180,000 in 2011.

The economy is healthy here, and while it's not cheap compared to most locales in the Sun Belt, it's much more affordable than the northeast and California.
 
Old 10-09-2014, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,209,335 times
Reputation: 10428
I doubt "stoners" are the problem. Rents were going up before legal weed.
 
Old 10-09-2014, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,224 posts, read 15,897,103 times
Reputation: 5487
√ Blame Obama
√ Blame Weed
√ Blame Stoners
√ Blame Californians
 
Old 10-09-2014, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,224 posts, read 15,897,103 times
Reputation: 5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Supply and Demand, nobody wants to live in Florida. Everyone wants to live here.

I can't even sell my house I still have in Florida even with taking a big hit. It's just a dead market right now.
I can't resist...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top