U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2006, 09:20 PM

18 posts, read 60,615 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Hubby and I are considering moving from Oklahoma to Denver. Four years ago I was stationed in Colorado Springs, CO and I feel in love with Colorado. In Oklahoma a brand new brick home on an acre lot about 1800 sq ft with 3 car garage costs about 180,000.

I've seen some homes in Green Valley Ranch, is that a run-down neighborhood? What is the crime like, and are the homes "section-8" homes??

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 09:26 PM

10,903 posts, read 29,383,051 times
some of the home are HUD or VA, or bank owned. There are a lot of homes, including new, for sale. It is close to employment centers in north Denver & DIA. If you are planning on staying for 4 or more years, it's a good investment.

Each homeowner can make a difference to a community like GVR.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 AM

26 posts, read 184,887 times
Default No Way

Seriously, don't! I not looked it up, but drove out to it and spoke with folks who lived there for some time. They highly recommended not doing. School district supposedly sucks and although the homes look nice on the web, seeing it in person is a whole other issue. Every few homes had weeds growing all over the lawn, paint peeling off homes, trashy looking people walking around, beer cans in the gutters every couple of streets. Basically, what you got are inner city transfers looking for a better life for their families, which is understandable but a lot of them never owned a home before and many of them don't keep up on the look of their homes. Alot of the people I spoke with were concerned for their property values!

Consider it, but there are other areas as well!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 25,931 times
Honestly? We live there, and we are trying to sell as soon as possible.

It has gone horrible downhill. There are open drug dealings at one of the parks, gangster kids shooting at night at their drive way, big boom box cars at 1Am at night full blast, fireworks until August preverably in the middle of the night.
The HOA does not do crap about anything, instead they raised their fee from $55 to: $218!!!!!!!!!!! payable in january 2007. Of course all of us can **** that kind of money out like that.
The HOA seems in my opionion very big in reverse racism regarding really stupid things, like painting a house even there is not a single crack in the paint!

There seems to be also lately alot of vandalism going on as well as theft out of your opened garage door.

If you need your sleep at night, like a clean area, no drug dealings and certainly can not afford an anual HOA fee increase like that, for something the HOA doesnt do anything with other than write letters to the working people, do not move there!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 25,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veejee View Post
Hello,

Hubby and I are considering moving from Oklahoma to Denver. Four years ago I was stationed in Colorado Springs, CO and I feel in love with Colorado. In Oklahoma a brand new brick home on an acre lot about 1800 sq ft with 3 car garage costs about 180,000.

I've seen some homes in Green Valley Ranch, is that a run-down neighborhood? What is the crime like, and are the homes "section-8" homes??

Thanks
As a retired Air Force NCO iI would not move into this area. My father in law has lived there over 10 years and it is going down hill. If u r being stationed at Buckly,Aurora near the base has come really nice areas. Aurora and Cherry Creek schools are also MUCH better than Denver's.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 70,212 times
Default Green Valley Ranch, really that bad?

My family and I will be relocating to the Denver area and I have found a good opportunity to rent a nice house in the Green Valley Ranch area. I found one thread about the area and it did not sound good. The people in the post made it sound crime riddled and not very nice place to live. I would like some honest feedback about the area. I checked out stories about the foreclosure rate being the main problem( empty homes, graffiti, and such). Is it really that bad? I’ve lived in so called “bad areas” of a couple of cities and it was never as bad as some made it out to be. Need some input please.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,759,751 times
For a rental it's probably okay, particularly if your job is nearby or at the airport. I would hesitate to buy property there, however.

As for crime, it is probably a little higher than some of our suburban areas, but not significantly so. You should consider that schools there are mediocre as they are in all the Denver/Aurora/Commerce City neighborhoods around it. The area is essentially a drive-till-you-qualify area, not unlike some of the exurban areas up north. As long as you understand that, then it's okay.

I think the bad rep comes from the fact that people confuse GVR with Montbello, and others say that GVR will eventually become like Montbello. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but at the current time it's not Montbello and if you're renting, if it starts to go the way of Montbello then you can always leave.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM

10,903 posts, read 29,383,051 times
You can call the Denver police department and ask about crimes.

I sold two houses there last year & will sell one this year. I have said before, all a neighborhood needs is some nice folks to take care of it and invest the time, energy & money in its future.

GVR has more potential because of it's proximity to DIA.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 PM

30 posts, read 109,661 times
Sorry to post late on this, hope the OP is still checking for answers. I live just north of Green Valley Ranch and it is not that bad. Check the crime statistics. Green Valley Ranch is a huge area and had 0 homicides in 2005 and 2006. I think it's funny how people talk about 'nice neighborhoods' in places like City Park and the Highlands, but badmouth our area of town. Just read an article today about gangs hanging out at jazz concerts at City Park. Don't see much of that here. We have friends who live in the Highlands, car windows smashed twice. Never had that here. It's all relative.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 33,360 times
We have lived in Green Valley Ranch for 6 years, and have enjoyed all of the people we have met here. We live in a very quiet enclave of the neighborhood with no major thoroughfares running through it which, I think, is a major contributor to any neighborhood being quiet. I cannot speak for other neighborhoods, but our small neighborhood in Green Valley Ranch is very well maintained by our HOA (they even put up lights during the December holiday season).

Denver itself is a sprawling, western city, so people who have issues with the distance from downtown Denver must be used to living in smaller (perhaps centralized east coast?) cities. There are many suburbs around Denver where it would take much longer to reach downtown simply due to traffic, not to mention distance. Green Valley Ranch is in excellent proximity to major highways (and wonderful shortcuts around the highways during rush hour.)

To be perfectly honest, I often wonder if the negative comments about northeast Denver stem from the (usually) subtle, but always present, undercurrent of racism present in American society.

We've never felt unsafe here, and indeed, the distinctly suburban feel of our neighborhood makes it feel very safe. But, crime can happen anywhere, and disagreements with neighbors can also happen anywhere. Ever watch "The Osbournes"?

Best of luck with your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or