U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:36 PM

5 posts, read 29,372 times

Advertisements

Hello All!
After living in Parker for a few months I am desperately ready to move into the city (after living in Chicago for two years, I miss the hustle and bustle that Parker does not fulfill!). We (married couple, early 30's, no kids, dog) have been looking at the Highland area and Tennyson, both neighborhoods seem eclectic, walkable and convenient to downtown.
Wondering about people's opinions on each neighborhood...pros and cons; what are the people like who live here; where do they eat and shop; What is each neighborhood lacking, and how do people predict the neighborhoods will change over the next 10 years?
Also, I noticed the new Sunflower Market, which I think is very nice, but was sad to see that Simple Foods has closed. Is this the beginning of a big change for these hoods- gentrification? How can the mom and pop stores survive as the gentrification begins?
Thanks for any info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,861,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtoco View Post
Hello All!
After living in Parker for a few months I am desperately ready to move into the city (after living in Chicago for two years, I miss the hustle and bustle that Parker does not fulfill!). We (married couple, early 30's, no kids, dog) have been looking at the Highland area and Tennyson, both neighborhoods seem eclectic, walkable and convenient to downtown.
Wondering about people's opinions on each neighborhood...pros and cons; what are the people like who live here; where do they eat and shop; What is each neighborhood lacking, and how do people predict the neighborhoods will change over the next 10 years?
Also, I noticed the new Sunflower Market, which I think is very nice, but was sad to see that Simple Foods has closed. Is this the beginning of a big change for these hoods- gentrification? How can the mom and pop stores survive as the gentrification begins?
Thanks for any info you can provide!
I live just north of this area, in the Southeast Corner of Arvada about 3 miles from the Sunflower Market. I have lived here in this neighborhood about 22 years, and in the area for almost 30 years. The area you are really talking about along Tennyson is the Berkeley Park Neighborhood of Denver, which extends to W 38th. West Highlands Begins South of West 38th to 29th.

I have seen this neighborhood change from a "little difficult" neighborhood around the old Elitch's Park, along 38th to a great area with much growth. When they redevelopment Elitch's into Highland Square, it started the change right in the immediate vicinity. Tennyson always has some nice local businesses and was not too bad. The Simple Foods was a Sewing Machine Shop for years. Simple Foods was part of the gentrification because it had higher price foods that were not part of the original neighborhood. It probably could not compete with Sunflower Market. There are still businesses that have been there for years.

I go there often and I have seen rebuilding of many homes. I think the areas biggest advantage is Berkeley Lake; Rocky Mountain Lake in Sunnyside Neighborhood and the proximity of Sloan's Lake. These have always been nice recreational areas with few problems. The area immediately around Berkeley, on Tennyson and West 46th have always been pleasant areas with beautiful homes, established neighborhoods and a good Catholic Church community.

I believe the area in the future will get extremely expensive because of all these lakes-which is rare in the area. In addition, I expect that Lakeside Amusement Park will close in the near future with development around Lake Rhoda (which is in the park). Lakeside shopping area has just been sold to a new developer and there is some building happening. Certainly the old racetrack on 38th and Sheridan will see development.

Much of this development will happen because of the commuter rail stations that will be built on Sheridan; the Sheridan Station near West 13th on the West Line and the Sheridan Station near W 60th on the Gold Line. The Area between these stations will see a great deal of growth on Sheridan. This is real "meat and potato" shopping will be for the area vs. eclectic shopping in Highland and West Highland.

Wheat Ridge is important in this area, as it is nicely redeveloping the area along west 38th and has nice shopping, restaurants and stores and extending out to Applewood, that will serve the North Denver Area. In addiition Edgewater has created a sucessful commercial area along Sheridan, across from Sloan's Lake with a new Target, Big King Soopers, Home Depot etc.

I also do not want to forget to mention that St. Anthony's Hospital, just south of Sloan's Lake, is going to close and that area will open up for development. It will be near some light rail station along Colfax.

Now where I live; a new Adams County regional park is being built on Tennyson, north of 55th Ave. There is already a reservoir in the area and a federal wildlife area which it will connect, and the clear creek trail intersects the area.

The area has numerous parks that are not well known to people who did not grow up in the area. For example there is the Denver City Park, Inspiration Point, West of Sheridan, off of W. 50th, which will give you a view of miles and miles of the West Side.

So what am I saying with all these words. I am saying that living in this part of North Denver gives you the advantages of suburban shopping, nice old classic neighborhoods, nice little stores and restaurants that the new rich are developing, many parks with many lakes, and a short proximity to Downtown Denver. In addition, the future holds big development with the growth of fastracks.

One other advantage of this area is that new creative smart people are moving here and they will blend in well with the old. This is an area where "native" and long term residents of Denver resided. These neighborhoods of Denver with the inner Suburbs of Wheat Ridge, Lakewood, and Arvada are some of the older traditional areas of the city. These are the areas that have the ambiance and tradition of living of Denver from many years ago.

I hope I did not confuse you. I like this area. It is diverse and certainly not bland with the sameness of some new suburbs. There are many hispanics; it is the traditional Italian area of Denver. It has Asians--a Big Vietnamese Church. There is a Theravada Thai Buddhist Monastery. There is a Japanese Church. There is a old Jewish Hassidic Community. I have seen a large Russian presence. In the Sunflower market, I have heard Polish, Italian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Laotian, Chinese and Russian spoken by little old ladies and men---who jostle me, to get the nicer vegetables--It reminds me of New York--my place of origin. Ah, the pleasures of diversity.......

Livecontent

Old 12-30-2007, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 29,372 times
Thanks Livecontent, that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for, and from what you've said, I am pretty sure that Berkley/Tennyson is the area that I would like to live in.

Just another quick question- in terms of shops/retail/restaurants - is there anything that that is lacking on Tenn street - meaning, within walking distance of the neighborhoods, is there anything that residents wish there was, that's not there yet?

Old 12-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtoco View Post
Thanks Livecontent, that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for, and from what you've said, I am pretty sure that Berkley/Tennyson is the area that I would like to live in.

Just another quick question- in terms of shops/retail/restaurants - is there anything that that is lacking on Tenn street - meaning, within walking distance of the neighborhoods, is there anything that residents wish there was, that's not there yet?
That would depend what you need. In terms of regular stores vs.expensive shops, I think the area lacks a general all purpose drug store and pharmacy. Today there are less independent pharmacies and there are no chains, like Walgreens, in the Area. The nearest Pharmacist would be in the King Soopers on W38th and Sheridan. In addition there is a Safeway at 44th and Lowell with a pharmacy, which has a small shopping center. They may be in your walking distance but not right on Tennyson. In addition, there are no major department stores close except for Target at 44th and Sheridan. The nearest mall would be the Westminster Mall. Walmart would be on Colfax and Wadsworth. There is a new Walmart which is going to open soon on W 72nd and Sheridan.

The main regular shopping areas would be on Wadsworth, North on Sheridan, and West on 38th. and some on Federal--an area which I do not like. That is a problem with the area. North Federal and South Federal running from Colfax, is not a very nice area--and the Football Stadium area on 20th and Federal is such garbage--not like the baseball stadium area.

Highland which is east of Federal and West Highland which is West of Federal are really coming in on their own--unfortunately they are separated by some bad parts of Federal. Highland is of course closer to downtown and has good access with the new pedestrian bridge from Central to 16th St. but there is a lack of shopping unless you go to Federal.

There is nice unique shops, bookstores and restaurants on 32nd.near Lowell in the West Highland area but are not without walking distance of Tennyson.

I would suggest you drive around and look--I know you would want to walk but you would have to drive for many of these basic stores. And that brings up another deficiency in the area. It has good bus service on 38th, 44th and with the Route 38, Route 44 and Route 32 on 32nd. The Route 52 staggers through the area. However it needs a bus north and south, on Lowell and Tennyson, between Federal and Sheridan. Of course the Route 51 Sheridan Route 31 on Federal are good routes. But to get from W38th to 32nd is not direct on a bus, unless one went down Federal or Sheridan.

If I lived near Tennyson and 38th--I would probably walk or take a bus to Sheridan and access my main shopping on Sheridan by bus. I am not a big fan of yuppie expensive stores--they are nice but you have to have some basic stores. In addition, I am on Social Security Disability, so my resources are limited. In addition, I do not like chain expensive stores but are attracted to small independent stores in a neighborhood--if I can afford to shop there.

You will know that I am a big bus rider from my other post, so I am aware of the bus availability in the area. I have actually walked to/from Downtown to my house, about 5-6 miles--when the area was a little "tougher" but I was younger--now I have problems walking.

Just another area to look, if I could suggest, would be the Applewood Area in Wheat Ridge/Lakewood which is where 20-38th end west on Youngfield--This is a very nice self contained community. You probably do not know it exist. It is a very hidden area and with upscale older housing. I have started a thread on this area but I got very little interest. Applewood

I should start a thread on neighborhoods that I feel are nice and are not well known to most people, unless you have grew up here or have lived here for many years.

The nearest hospital to this area would be Lutheran Medical Center on 38th, west past Wadsworth---nice area. I would suggest taking a ride down west 38th.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-30-2007 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 05:34 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,718,432 times
Livecontent has covered this quite well.

Tennyson Street has come along quite nicely, but I talked to a woman who owns a wine/tapas bar along there, and she has told me that they've had a lot of turnover of retailers as owners have struggled to find the winning mix there. I wasn't aware that Simple Foods had closed, that's too bad -- they seemed like a neat place, but no doubt Sunflower had something to do with it.

I don't live around Tennyson personally, but I think that one thing is missing in all of North Denver (and Central Denver, for that matter) is cost-conscious retail. (Sunflower Market, of course, being a recent exception -- it is very value-conscious) There's far too many trendy boutiques for my taste and too few opportunities for everyday necessities at sensible prices, IMO. Although at one point there was a hardware store on Tennyson -- always nice to have one of those within walking distance, although I'm not sure if it's still open or not.

Price of housing has REALLY taken off in North Denver -- time was (like 5 years ago), this really was an affordable area compared to the suburbs; but not any more; in fact the exact opposite is true. Despite the slow housing market overall, I don't think you'll find that the case around Tennyson, at least not for properties that are truly move-in ready I get the feeling that things are slowing down there as evreywhere, because of a difficult financing environment more than anything.

Because of the expensive prices, some of livecontent's other suggestions should be considered as Highland's energy is bound to spill over Denver's borders into Wheat Ridge/Edgewater, Arvada, etc. Exactly where, how, and when is hard to say.

As for gentrification, I'm not sure that NECESSARILY means that chains will proliferate, though Cherry Creek North is a good example of that very thing happening. (Ugh...) On the other hand, Cherry Creek is more of a destination for people from all over the area, while Tennyson Street is more of a neighborhood area -- and neighborhood people tend to be more supportive of their mom and pops.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 AM

8 posts, read 43,570 times
Default Nice neighborhoods and lesser known -Livecontent

I should start a thread on neighborhoods that I feel are nice and are not well known to most people, unless you have grew up here or have lived here for many years.

The nearest hospital to this area would be Lutheran Medical Center on 38th, west past Wadsworth---nice area. I would suggest taking a ride down west 38th.

Livecontent[/quote]

I am new to this Forum but Livecontent your posts are thorough, informative and a joy to read. I too am considering a move to Denver based upon getting a job offer; I would love to hear more about neighborhoods that you like and feel are not so well known to most people. Since I think this thread is a bit old if I don't see you have started it I will make a new post hoping you will see it and follow through.

Thanks for your information and please keep up the good work.

Dan

Old 03-09-2008, 09:47 AM

2,336 posts, read 3,974,385 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post

Livecontent
I am new to this Forum but Livecontent your posts are thorough, informative and a joy to read. I too am considering a move to Denver based upon getting a job offer; I would love to hear more about neighborhoods that you like and feel are not so well known to most people. Since I think this thread is a bit old if I don't see you have started it I will make a new post hoping you will see it and follow through.

Thanks for your information and please keep up the good work.

Dan
Here's that thread:

Good Areas in Denver Metro that are not as well known

Old 09-28-2008, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 6,868 times
Default Hello livecontent - new to the forum - Question Re: St. Anthonys

I also do not want to forget to mention that St. Anthony's Hospital, just south of Sloan's Lake, is going to close and that area will open up for development. It will be near some light rail station along Colfax.

Hello livecontent -

I noticed you commented on the St. Anthonys move. Do you know when this is going to happen? Would you mind sharing where you found this information? I am very interested in that as I own property in that general area.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1733 View Post

Hello livecontent -

I noticed you commented on the St. Anthonys move. Do you know when this is going to happen? Would you mind sharing where you found this information? I am very interested in that as I own property in that general area.

Thanks in advance
It is now being constructed, done in 2010.

The Link to the information St. Anthony Hospitals - The New St. Anthony Medical Campus - Lakewood (http://www.stanthonyhosp.org/index.php?s=patient_services_6 - broken link)

The Hospital is actually going to be on the Federal Center property that was purchased near Union and the new Light Rail Station, on the West Line, at Cold Springs Park n'Ride.

Livecontent

Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,668 times
If you would like to get to know the area and meet some neighbors. Come to our cookout on sunday from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. The address is 3441 west 31st street. Bring your family and have some fun. CJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver