Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 11:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Yes, they are delusional, and basically just out of their minds. Only someone from Minnesota or Alaska could say w/ a straight face anything about the "mild" Denver winters. And I guess the brown winter inversion is another Denver weather positive too? Look at the typical tempertures for Denver in a year on the chart below. You would have to be drunk as a skunk or as loony as a loonybird to think this is good weather. Go to San Diego or Hawaii, THAT is good weather. There are 7 months of the year on the chart below where the average lows are at or below freezing!!! Seven....months....out....of....the....year.

Disclaimer: we live in Florida. Summers are like Hades, but we don't glossy things up by being fanboys for Florida summers. Most people get the heck out in the summer. But for the other 6-7 months, paradise. The wife's sister has lived in Denver for 30 years. We both agree she's that nuttier than a fruitcake, and even SHE is constantly griping about Denver weather.

Denver Colorado Weather & Climate Information | VISIT DENVER
Even better to see how extreme Denver’s climate can be, is to look at the record extreme temperatures.

Denver's Temperature Extremes - 100 Degree or Higher and -20 Degree or Lower

Several good things that help protect Denver from really extreme temperatures.

First Denver’s temperature maxes out at 105°. The elevation and air circulation just don’t let the temperature climb over 105°, no matter how severe a heat wave is. Which is a good thing, because at least people in Denver don’t have to worry about any really crazy high temperatures, like 120s that are common in most of the Southwest. But that is still a small consolation I think. Since Denver still has way too many days over 90°. Which I think most people would find to be too uncomfortable for out door activities.

Second, minus 20° days, despite being fairly common in Denver, Denver hasn’t had a minus 20° day in over 30 years, thanks to global warming. Which is also a good thing. Since I think a lot of people in Denver would not be happy if the temperature dropped below minus 20°. But again I think it is a small consolation. Since Denver still gets too many days below zero, which I think most people would find to be uncomfortable.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Actually, I think anyone living north of I-70 would find Denver's winters mild, compared to other cities.
Debatable.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:16 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Even better to see how extreme Denver’s climate can be, is to look at the record extreme temperatures.

First Denver’s temperature maxes out at 105°. The elevation and air circulation just don’t let the temperature climb over 105°, no matter how severe a heat wave is. Which is a good thing, because at least people in Denver don’t have to worry about any really crazy high temperatures, like 120s that are common in most of the Southwest. But that is still a small consolation I think. Since Denver still has way too many days over 90°. Which I think most people would find to be too uncomfortable for out door activities.

Second, minus 20° days, despite being fairly common in Denver, Denver hasn’t had a minus 20° day in over 30 years, thanks to global warming. Which is also a good thing. Since I think a lot of people in Denver would not be happy if the temperature dropped below minus 20°. But again I think it is a small consolation. Since Denver still gets too many days below zero, which I think most people would find to be uncomfortable.
You have to factor in the humidity, its normally 30-40% during the summer months, seldom dropping below 20%. 90F with 35% humidity doesn't feel as comfortable compared to parts of the southwest. Since I've moved to central AZ three weeks ago from Denver, 90 F with 10% is more tolerable. The negative aspect of that, is you're constantly drinking more water. I've been hydrating 1 gallon a day.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:

Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Do you have some response to that, other then an emoji? I guess not.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
A response to the claim that -20 degree are "fairly common" in Denver, despite there not being one in "over 30 years" ?

Perhaps it's not only our definitions of "mild" that differ but also our definition of "common".

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-21-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 12:21 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
I just don't fully buy into the theory of global warming no matter how much I read about it and how much I hear the experts talk about it. So there is my response without an emoji. Also, see maciesmom's response.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

A response to the claim that -20 degree are "fairly common" in Denver, despite there not being one in "over 30 years" ?

Perhaps it's not only our definitions of "mild" that differ but also our definition of "common".
I should have said 26 years to be exact, not 30. That’s 26 years with not one day under -20°. In the 118 years before that, it happened an average of once every four years. Once every four years I would say is fairly common. Due to climate changes it seems to no longer be a common occurrence, if it ever happens again.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
I should have said 26 years to be exact, not 30. That’s 26 years with not one day under -20°. In the 118 years before that, it happened an average of once every four years. Once every four years I would say is fairly common. Due to climate changes it seems to no longer be a common occurrence, if it ever happens again.
Yep. Our definitions of "common" are completely different.

Common: Ordinary, usual, typical, frequent

Once ever 4 years then never once in 26 years? Nah.

I'd categorize that as "not typical but not entirely unheard of "

Old 07-21-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I just don't fully buy into the theory of global warming no matter how much I read about it and how much I hear the experts talk about it. So there is my response without an emoji. Also, see maciesmom's response.
So you are a climate change denier, and you gave me a emoji?

For 118 years Denver’s temperature dropped below -20° on average about every four years. Since 1990 to the best of my knowledge it has not happened one time. I guess you don’t see a trend in an event cycle changing from four years to 26 years and counting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver