Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
I've had to run my AC all through the night for the past month, so that's another fib.
So somebody is fibbing because you have to run your AC at night while they don't? That must make me a fibber too. We open up the windows at night and it feels great.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:48 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
I've had to run my AC all through the night for the past month, so that's another fib.
My house doesn't have AC. In fact most houses built before 1980 didn't have AC installed when the house was built. I grew up in a house in SW Denver without AC. I am not in any hurry to install it either. I do have one room AC unit.

I never allow the sun to shine directly into the house during the summer. I close all the windows by 10 am to keep the heat out, and I open them up when the air has cooled down. I live in a bi-level house, so the lower level is cooler and I can hang out there if it gets too hot.

When I was a kid, we had a house with a full basement, so I just spent my time there.

I would love to get an attic fan, but, alas, thanks to the early 80s architects' obsession with vaulted ceilings, I don't have an attic.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:53 AM

133 posts, read 149,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So in other words, you're trying to avoid admitting those lows were during the night, when most folks aren't spending much time actually outside. Even if they are getting off work.. The highs, during the day, are often nice enough that you CAN be outside for more than a dash to the car. Bonus is that the same thing happens during the summer. It actually cools off, making it pleasant enough to sit outside (without slapping mosquitos away!) with the beverage of your choice.
Does it matter when the lows were? In the winter, in the evening after work - it is nice to be able to be outside and do things. You can't here - well, you can, but it is usually freezing or below and all the snow melt has frozen and you will slip and slide everywhere. Most people can't get outside during the day while they are working. It matters what the weather is when people are actually off work.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiapr View Post
That's been my experience as well. However, in truly mild winter climates, this type of weather simply doesn't happen. Not to mention the days in the teens and 20s which are somewhat common. I wouldn't classify the winters here as consistently harsh, but they aren't near as mild as most of the western US. I think that's where the disappointment comes from for a lot of people who move here. They hear the word "mild" and expect truly mild winters, not mild compared to North Dakota. It's still winter, just a more mild version than some other places with four seasons.
Perfectly stated... in truly mild winter climates - the weather that happens here, simply does not happen.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 AM

Regarding the summer in Denver and AC - the house I bought did not have AC. I was going to put one in, but decided against it when I knew I wasn't going to stay. And, I don't regret it. I have never felt the need for AC throughout this summer - granted I came from Phoenix, so my blood is thin and loving the heat. I do have a swamp cooler though and I run that almost everyday. It seems to keep everything at a comfortable temperature. The swamp cooler also can bring in the cool night air which cools down the house quite a bit (like a reverse attic fan). I honestly feel like the summers here (although short) are perfect!!!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:35 AM

56 posts, read 60,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
I honestly feel like the summers here (although short) are perfect!!!
LOL, now we have someone from Phoenix saying Denver's summer is perfect. Classic. Seems like nearly everybody on this thread comes from the extremes.

If you want to see what a perfect summer looks like, google Seattle weather for this week.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:42 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
Yep, and millions agree that the "mountains" are great and why they are here now.

Have to ask you, how long does it take you to actually get to the "mountains" and how many lines do you wait in on the trailheads now?

Just zip up I70 and there are no people up there!
I just plan better than I used to. I avoid crowds when I want to just fine. I climbed a 13,000 foot peak a couple weekends ago. I saw 2 other people the entire trip up. I didn't drive on I-70 at all.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Yes, I agree that my impression of hot is skewed because of living in Phoenix... My mom visited from Philadelphia for a few weeks and she found the heat to be way too much.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Does it matter when the lows were? In the winter, in the evening after work - it is nice to be able to be outside and do things. You can't here - well, you can, but it is usually freezing or below and all the snow melt has frozen and you will slip and slide everywhere. Most people can't get outside during the day while they are working. It matters what the weather is when people are actually off work.
What would you want to do outside in the winter evenings? It's dark by 5PM or so. You can go out to dinner, go to the mall, go to the gym and only be out in the cold a few minutes.

Quote:
Regarding the summer in Denver and AC - the house I bought did not have AC. I was going to put one in, but decided against it when I knew I wasn't going to stay. And, I don't regret it. I have never felt the need for AC throughout this summer - granted I came from Phoenix, so my blood is thin and loving the heat. I do have a swamp cooler though and I run that almost everyday. It seems to keep everything at a comfortable temperature. The swamp cooler also can bring in the cool night air which cools down the house quite a bit (like a reverse attic fan). I honestly feel like the summers here (although short) are perfect!!!
Our house, built in 1980, did not have A/C when built. It had a whole house fan, which frankly sounds like a danged train. That's what we call it, "the train". You have to turn up your TV way loud just to hear it, so we don't use the fan much. We put in a big room A/C in the kitchen shortly after we moved in (1989). It kept the parts of the house we use the most (kitchen and family room) cool well, but did not cool the bedrooms upstairs well. Nothing we tried up there worked too well. A room A/C in one bedroom only kept that room cool. Ceiling fans didn't help much. When I was home with the kids going in and out all day long, the house got hot really fast and we couldn't cool it off in the evenings even running the train. When I worked and they went to day care, the house did stay a bit cooler. When the kids got older and were home, we were back to square one. We discussed swamp cooler, which we had in a rental house in Denver before we bought this one, vs A/C for a long time. We finally went with A/C when the next door neighbor told us his swamp cooler got all full of mold and had to be removed. We've had it about 4 summers now, I think. Some years we haven't run it much, this year, we're using it a lot.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 AM

Things I like to do outside in the winter after work - get together with friends and go running, go bicycling (on bike trails with good front bar headlamp), go rollerblading with the dogs (one at a time ), go for a walk with the dogs, sit on the patio and have dinner or drinks, hike (again with headlamp). I haven't gone to a mall in... I don't even remember - multiple years. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver