U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 839,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Give it a few more years. A quick Google shows that housing prices (depending on what type of housing you are looking for) are about 8% to 42% more then Denver. With the current trend, the prices should be pretty comparable in another five years.
That's what I'm thinking. In fact, it might be sooner than five years. I love Denver, but it's not worth that much to me. I'd rather be by the water. If it gets to that point, I'll probably sell my condo and move back to Michigan (greatly underrated, Great Lakes nearby, similar to Colorado's climate) or the west coast (pricey, but ocean is nearby).

Old 07-14-2016, 08:28 AM

12,223 posts, read 7,997,708 times
I agree our values are heading in that direction but I don't think they will get there. I don't think we are in a bubble as some people believe but I do think values will level out here in the next 2 to 3 years. Selfishly thinking I hope not because I am established in my house but I just don't think it can keep going up at such a fast rate. I really feel bad for the younger people trying to get into a house. It kind of reflects what I was going through in San Diego before I moved here in 1999.

OK, this thread has taken a different turn. Let me bring it back on topic. I love the weather here in Colorado. I especially loved the snow up until about 4 years ago. The novelty of it wore off but I still love the weather swings. But, to me it has nothing on San Diego's weather. Right now there are only three places I would like to live. Denver, San Diego or Vancouver. Vancouver is so awesome in so many ways.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:51 AM

21,746 posts, read 23,015,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I agree our values are heading in that direction but I don't think they will get there. I don't think we are in a bubble as some people believe but I do think values will level out here in the next 2 to 3 years. Selfishly thinking I hope not because I am established in my house but I just don't think it can keep going up at such a fast rate. I really feel bad for the younger people trying to get into a house. It kind of reflects what I was going through in San Diego before I moved here in 1999.

OK, this thread has taken a different turn. Let me bring it back on topic. I love the weather here in Colorado. I especially loved the snow up until about 4 years ago. The novelty of it wore off but I still love the weather swings. But, to me it has nothing on San Diego's weather. Right now there are only three places I would like to live. Denver, San Diego or Vancouver. Vancouver is so awesome in so many ways.
Haha... and I grew up in San Diego in the 70s. Love to visit but don't have any inclination to move back. Zero. Been here more than 20 years and still enjoy the snow. I admit though that by the end of April this year I was ready to be done for the season. This was a particularly snowy April.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:52 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 839,156 times
Quote:
But, to me it has nothing on San Diego's weather. Right now there are only three places I would like to live. Denver, San Diego or Vancouver. Vancouver is so awesome in so many ways.
I think you and I have similar tastes. There is nothing comparable to that warm, floral smell mixed with the ocean mist. It brings such a feeling of nostalgia to me.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Haha... and I grew up in San Diego in the 70s. Love to visit but don't have any inclination to move back. Zero. Been here more than 20 years and still enjoy the snow. I admit though that by the end of April this year I was ready to be done for the season. This was a particularly snowy April.
I love the snow at the beginning. I loved the March blizzard because it was a day off for me but I was also ready for the warmer weather and yard work.

I was a surfer guy growing up so the ocean holds a very special place in my heart. I love the mountains too and snow boarding.

My roots are firmly planted here now. It would take a powerball win to get me to move and if I won the powerball I would probably buy my own island.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I think you and I have similar tastes. There is nothing comparable to that warm, floral smell mixed with the ocean mist. It brings such a feeling of nostalgia to me.
You nailed it. I love the smell of the ocean and the feeling of salt water dried on my skin.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM

20,811 posts, read 38,983,511 times
Quote:
... OK, this thread has taken a different turn. Let me bring it back on topic. I love the weather here in Colorado. I especially loved the snow up until about 4 years ago. The novelty of it wore off but I still love the weather swings. ...
Novelty has worn off on me too, loved it for 11 years, but way over it. We moved to Phoenix, AZ last month and I'm doing fine with 105-112F every day. Traded 8 months of heating season for 8 months of cooling season. We sad goodbye to:
- cold;
- shoveling snow (no fun with Angina);
- trying to grow a lawn (now we have rocks, cactus and a wee bit of astroturf);
- stairs (no fun with Angina);
- mowing a lawn (no fun with Angina);
- vacuuming an ocean of carpet (from 3900 sq ft down to 2600 sq ft and mostly tile)
- potholes, OMG the potholes in COLO SPGS double as kiddie pools, roads here in AZ and smooth as glass
- I pay more in taxes but it's so worth it: smooth roads, weekly pickup for recycling, streets swept every week, excellent parks, more

Still, to answer the question of are people delusional about Denver's weather then I say hell no, they are not. We came to COLO SPGS and the Front Range from the Baltimore and DC region and Front Range weather is way more likable to me and most of the people on here will agree. When it comes to liking or not liking weather in any given area the only real answer is 'to each their own' or 'YMMV' or simply 'go where the weather suits your clothes.'
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Novelty has worn off on me too, loved it for 11 years, but way over it. We moved to Phoenix, AZ last month and I'm doing fine with 105-112F every day. Traded 8 months of heating season for 8 months of cooling season. We sad goodbye to:
- cold;
- shoveling snow (no fun with Angina);
- trying to grow a lawn (now we have rocks, cactus and a wee bit of astroturf);
- stairs (no fun with Angina);
- mowing a lawn (no fun with Angina);
- vacuuming an ocean of carpet (from 3900 sq ft down to 2600 sq ft and mostly tile)
- potholes, OMG the potholes in COLO SPGS double as kiddie pools, roads here in AZ and smooth as glass
- I pay more in taxes but it's so worth it: smooth roads, weekly pickup for recycling, streets swept every week, excellent parks, more

Still, to answer the question of are people delusional about Denver's weather then I say hell no, they are not. We came to COLO SPGS and the Front Range from the Baltimore and DC region and Front Range weather is way more likable to me and most of the people on here will agree. When it comes to liking or not liking weather in any given area the only real answer is 'to each their own' or 'YMMV' or simply 'go where the weather suits your clothes.'
Enjoy Arizona and get that Angina under control! Actually it sounds like you are getting it under control by moving.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 AM

86,819 posts, read 102,118,974 times
Quote:
Enjoy Arizona and get that Angina under control! Actually it sounds like you are getting it under control by moving.
The decrease in altitude should help Mike with the angina too.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM

129 posts, read 109,430 times
I like, "go where the weather suits your clothes"! LOL. I should have listened to that... I moved here from Phoenix and although I really loved Phx, what I wanted was a little bit more of 4 seasons, and a slightly less hot summer.

It's great to hear you went to Phx - I think you will love it there since the summer already feels ok to you - the monsoon season is spectacular. What part of the Valley did you move to? I was up at Tatum and Jomax. It was very pretty up there. And I could afford a house that felt like a resort - compared to Denver!

If you ever feel the need to escape the heat in Phx - head north to one of the higher elevation towns. Flag is great in the depth of the summer - Sedona, Pine, Strawberry and Prescott are great at the beginning and end of summer.

But, back to topic, if I would have listened to that above saying, I would have probably ended up in Albuquerque. I had to buy a ton of winter clothes when I got here.

The original post was talking about people being delusional, I don't think anyone else is. My opinion is that some people have a very different impression of the weather here and don't give the full picture. I also am originally from about the same area as you (have been way too many places since, but I have a firm memory of growing up there and living there for several years when my father was ill)... to me Denver feels like a much much harsher climate. I would compare it more to Connecticut/Boston than Philly or Baltimore. But, then I do love the heat and really very much hate having to shovel snow or deal with it. I seriously thought that the snow melted so fast that one didn't really have to deal with it. But that is not the case. Also to me, coming from Phx, the winter felt exceptionally cloudy and gloomy except for about 3 weeks of it - I am west of Denver so maybe I get more clouds here - idk.

I don't understand why it is such a great thing that the snow melts within a few days - everyone touts that... to me it's no better than sticking around because:
1. You still have to deal with it. Shovel your walk, driveway, clear your car if not covered.
2. You still have to wear huge snow boots almost all the time bc even if it is not snowing it is melting and everything is wet, muddy and slushy.
3. You still have to drive in a very scary mess of it (and I have lived in Green Bay and not been afraid to drive). The roads are not plowed - so when it starts to melt you are driving on black ice when the sun goes down and the temps plummet at night. There was a hill near my house that you had to learn how to "slide" down with your car because it was a sheet of ice from December to March (in shade).
4. When you let your dogs out in the back yard, they come back in muddy because the snow has melted into your yard and it is muddy.
5. The trails are all muddy and bc the dirt is like clay here, you end up with two football size mud balls on your feet if you go hiking bc clay sticks to itself (better to go in areas where the snow is still there).
6. Everything is wet, wet, wet - with constant run off. Vets warn to not let your dog eat anything off the ground because of bacteria or fungus because of the constant wetness in the winter.

Idk, you get my point. Everyone says, "but it melts within a few days", but why is that good? Anyway, I do like the fall and beginning of winter here more than the spring as people have said... I couldn't believe how cold the temps got at night into May. And the wet snow of from March to April felt more like what snow was like in NYC - not fluffy - but heavy and wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or