U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM

86,906 posts, read 102,377,003 times

Advertisements

Well, yeah, statistics can be misleading. I can tell you I notice a difference in Denver, Boulder, and Louisville, where my two daughters and I live, respectively. Denver is definitely the more diverse of the three. OTOH, my kids' school has 17% minorities, and the high school in my parent's district in suburban Pittsburgh has 2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,504 times
Default How Hispanic Diverse Is Denver

Does Denver has people from Central America,

Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,683,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbero1972 View Post
Yes... on Colfax Ave you can find evidence of Guatemalan, Honduran, Nicaraugan, and Salvadorian businesses. I have no idea about the actual numbers. I'm pretty sure that most spanish-speaking immigrants are from Mexico, however some of them might actually be from Central America but just claim they are from Mexico. It can be a complicated subject.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 AM

86,906 posts, read 102,377,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbero1972 View Post
Quote:
Most common places of birth for the foreign-born residents:

Mexico (65%)
Vietnam (4%)
Germany (2%)
India (2%)
Canada (2%)
United Kingdom (1%)
Russia (1%)
From City-Data

Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,172 times
This is quite an interesting tread. My husband and I relocated to Denver 11 months ago because of a wonderful career opportunity for me. However, this diversity issue is causing us to seriously reconsider the wisdom of our decision. I have never known such a challenge connecting to the Africian American community, primarily because while the numbers demographically 11% Black population, it is hard as heck to find those 11%. The area is so large that the 11% feels more like less than 1% because you can't even find churches easily. None the less, it is a beautiful city, but we have determined it's time to build an exit strategy because of the diversity issue. Too bad we really hoped to make it work.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,725,224 times
New2Den: I see you are in Cherry Creek. That is not, I say not, a black area. No black churches there. Try to give it more time, I think one year is not enough time. I have friends who do the black church thing and I know they are here, unfortunately I'm not into that kind of thing so I can't tell you where to go. I'm sorry you are unhappy here. That's got to be hard, making a big move and then finding out you don't like it there. It's def. one of my fears. Where did you move from?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:24 PM

291 posts, read 805,998 times
Schools shouldn't be a problem in any of these areas. Denver isn't LA, sorry but that's the way it is. South Denver is more diversivied than the areas you mentioned, but it can be the most expensive of all the areas you tagged. Denver is just more expensive than the suburbs. Denver's taxes are lower but the housing cost are higher. Aurora, especially as you go from south to mid Aurora is more diversified but I don't know how far you want to drive. After LA it may seem a snap. Mike from back east, had a link about Highland/Tennyson, which I completely agree with, however, I think it's further north than what you may want.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,699 times
Default diversity

Is there much diversity in Denver..am looking for different types of enclaves, if any..from New York, used to it.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,888,580 times
Most of the enclaves in Denver are pretty big geographically, but do not have any sort of New York feel to them. You will find some ethnic stores and restaurants, but in most areas, the group does not dominate the area like a Chinatown or Little Italy. Many are actually at the edge of Denver or in the suburbs rather than in central city itself.

The Latino population is very split between those whose families have been here for generations (mostly from S. Colorado and New Mexico), and those who are recent immigrants (mostly from Mexico, but some from Latin America). Latinos are by far the largest minority group and Mexican food restaurants are ubiquitous in the Metro area. Some are very good, many are not. The largest concentration of Latinos is on the west side of Denver and in the western suburbs. There is a growing concentration in Aurora.

A Vietnamese enclave exists in Denver around South Federal Blvd with another up in Wheat Ridge (NW metro).

The African American population has historically been concentrated in NE Denver near Five Points, but that area has become more white over the last 20 years. Many African Americans live in Aurora now, but many of the black churches are still in the North Park Hill area of Denver.

A growing concentration of Koreans has emerged in South Aurora near Parker Rd and Havana, as has an Indian population near the same place, but neither group is big enough to be a majority in their neighborhoods. There is a Muslim concentration near the area as well.

There is a small Russian contingent near Glendale.

The old Italian part of town was in the Highlands area. Remnants of the Italians still exist (Italian church, restaurants, etc.) The same is true for the Polish in the Globeville area of Denver.

The south metro area (everything south of about Hampden Ave) is very un-diverse (is that a word?). You can find ethnic restaurants, and some are quite good, but the neighborhoods themselves have very little diversity.

For nearly all of Denver, think strip mall...

Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,699 times
Is it really that bad??? My biggest fear is moving out there and it being all "white" if you know what I
mean- do you like living out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or