U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-30-2007, 03:21 AM

49 posts, read 127,128 times
Default Diversity in Denver

I am relocating from Los Angeles California, and my first impression is I don't see diversity like in LA, are there any suggestions you all may have where I can see some diverse/professional/liberal communities on the southern or mid side of town? We are mixed family and prefer to be in an area where there is some diversity/melting pot, not so many stares wondering what races we are mixed with.

I was looking at Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, Littleton, but know nothing of these areas.

Good schools are a must which is partly my reason for the above choices.

I will be working on the south side of the city.

Last edited by socalover; 12-30-2007 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-30-2007, 07:37 AM

65,545 posts, read 51,899,948 times
Aurora and perhaps Littleton would be your best choices among those, I think. Don't worry so much about the "good" schools. All those areas have some good schools.

Unread 12-30-2007, 09:43 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,314,950 times
Go to the link below and recenter it on Denver. There are drop down boxes for census demographic data. You can look at maps of %white, % hispanic, %black, etc. as well as economic attributes (median income, %owner occupied, etc)

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/maps...onf=mapnew.con

Unread 12-30-2007, 09:57 AM

5,457 posts, read 12,989,181 times
Denver is not an ethnic zoo like L.A. If that's what you want, you're probably looking at the wrong place. However, there's still plenty of diversity, IMO. Aurora as a whole is the most culturally diverse city in Colorado, if that's what you're asking, with many immigrant families from all over the world. This is readily apparent driving around and seeing all the ethnic strip malls and stores with foreign language signs. North Aurora (Colfax Ave) is very diverse, but dangerous. Central Aurora is very diverse too, and much safer (but still could be hit and miss depending on which specific neighborhood). South Aurora is the newest part, and has a little bit of diversity, but not much. Crime can happen anywhere, of course, but the perception is the farther south you go, the "nicer." I'm not too familiar with the actual city of Littleton, but Highlands Ranch and Castle Rock (pretty much all of Douglas County) have no diversity. However, Douglas County schools are pretty good in general. Parts of the city of Denver are also very diverse-- although not necessarily the most glamorous parts.

Unread 12-30-2007, 10:05 AM

16,500 posts, read 21,458,560 times
Read this post by LiveContent for a great perspective on diversity from one who lives within it:
- Highland/Tennyson

Unread 12-30-2007, 01:20 PM

1,517 posts, read 3,806,223 times
Denver is fairly liberal and you won't have much of an issue in a majority of it. As Mike sent the link above to LiveContent's analysis of the Highlands, I would agree. Also, check out South Park Hill and Washington Park. Southwest and West Denver are not the best of areas, though diverse. South and Southeast are good.

Unread 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM

47 posts
In the city of Denver, most people are very liberal and could care less about a mixed couple or anything like that. Why are you interested in the burbs though? Look into neighborhoods Denveraztec said, they are much more interesting.

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 26,395 times
For your job location in South metro area, and good diversity Aurora would be a good choice, especially those areas in the Cherry Creek School district, which is generally well regarded by most people. [ mod cut ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Trolling for clients not allowed by the TOS.

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:15 PM

4,682 posts, read 7,626,644 times
I have to say this is the most happily diverse area that I have ever seen. Mixed Families are everywhere and so many of them--that hardly causes a second look--only when you see that the mixed kids are soooooo cute.

Some of the post have referred to me because I written on this issue. I am a former New Yawker and been here for close to 30 years--I think the area is getting very much more diverse with the influx of the new wave of immigrants.

This area does not have the strict "red lined" neighborhoods like I saw when I was a kid. Yes, there are predominate ethnic areas but not so hard lined that if you walked there you would start your own "West Side Story".

People in this area have not, for the most part, taught their children to "hate and fear"

"...You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught..."

"You've Got To Be Carefully Taught"
South Pacific
Rodgers and Hammerstein

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:33 PM

225 posts, read 628,819 times
Sadly, I think this is a real problem with the Denver area. I think many don't take issue with Denver's lack of diversity but it clearly lacks any. I was there this weekend and I didn't see ANY diversity. There was more diversity in cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Phoenix. I was also disturbed by some of the Christian conservative fundamentalists that I saw on the street pandering about some issue. Some of the people I spoke to mentioned many great things about Denver but admitted it lacked diversity. Oddly enough, these people felt the lack of diversity was a positive thing which rubbed me the wrong way. It was as if they were almost happy they didn't have much diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver