Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:04 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
So many different posts to reply to, so here it goes.

- You can get around Denver just fine using mass transit. The further you are away from the core, the harder it is. You cannot use mass transit to get to many things outside of the city, like Red Rocks or good hiking (unless you are going to start hiking from the bus stop in the mountains.

- Denver is Midwestern, Western, Mountain, and Southwestern. It's where the farmers (Midwest) turn into Cowboys (West) and meet up with the miners (Mountains) and the Spanish (Southwest). There are many historical influences on the city.

- My advice: Don't get a MLIS degree at any private university. The price is too much compared to what you will make. If you want to get a degree like that, get it at a university you can afford to pay cash or get minimal loans. Same is true for teaching licenses.

- German is not very useful, Arabic is more useful, Mandarin is only marginally useful. Most Germans speak English and German is not spoken around the world like Arabic is. Arabic is useful and can be spoken around the world, but the cultures that speak Arabic are not that kind to females. There are a billion people who speak Mandarin, but 900 million of them live in China. If you are going to China, then it is useful. If you are not going to China.... Besides China's 15 minutes of fame are ticking away and they are not going to be the next big thing like most think they will be.

- There are much more than McJobs here. Many are in STEM careers, but if you have or can develop a background in technical writing, then you have a good chance at finding a job. If you don't want to stick with your English background then try a place like Enterprise Car Rental. They hire college grads of all majors and have locations across the country. They are a major stepping stone for people who want or need corporate experience.

- I am not a fan of Philly, so I understand why you may want out. However, I don't know if Denver is quite what you are looking for. Just call a feeling or a vibe that I get from your posts.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

~davidv
One of the best posts I've seen a while. Ignore this at your peril.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Since a previous old post of mine was mentioned, http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ng-denver.html I want to add to this post as it is an interest of mine as a transit advocate. I have been involved in many public transit committees and studies over the many years and can speak with experience and knowledge about the public transit in this area.

Much time has passed this I presented the post about Car Free Living in Denver and It can be easily said it has become much better with the expansion of public transit under RTD including bike and pedestrian expansion.

One of the big measures of public transit is how one can get where one needs to go. There is recent study that places Denver 9th on a list for access to jobs with public transit
Denver ranked 9th for access to jobs by public transit - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com The full study is here Access Across America

This study does not sit alone in cited Denver as having one of the best transit system in the country. I want to point you to another older post of mine which gives you more information specifically a Brookings Study which indicate Denver at 6th out of a 100 metro areas as access to employment http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...tion-list.html

We have recently opened Union Station and 2016 will be a banner year as we open two new heavy commuter rail line, the Gold Line to Arvada/Wheat Ridge and the East Rail Line to the airport. Also, a new light rail line will be opening along 225 in Aurora which will meet the East Rail Line near the Anschutz Medical Campus at the Peoria Station. The Bus Rapid Transit along 36th to Boulder will also open. We have also started construction on the North Rail Commuter Line to Thornton with completion in 2018. There are now current studies to complete the Southeast Line through Lone Tree, the Central Rail extension from Downtown to the East Rail Line. RTD This all comes with expansion of buses and Call-n-Ride service which is also part of Fastracks. Also there is the ongoing study for BRT implementation along East Colfax Latest News | Colfax Corridor Connections | City and County of Denver | Public Works

So come to Denver if you want good public transit. It just requires you to pick wisely where you live for not all areas can provide the best public transit for you--that applies to all cities, including NYC, my native birth city, but I have been here 36 years.

Denver covers 8 counties and some areas of the suburbs have excellent public transit and even exceed services you will find in Denver. Also do not make the assumption that the best public transit is by rail to meet your needs; you can easily have excellent public transit by living near a major bus route which has high frequency, runs day and night for 7 days a week. Some of these bus routes provide better transit than the rail, depending on your needs.

We in the Denver area are striving to become better in public transit. We are attracting the best, the brightest and the most creative to this city and much of the reason is our commitment to public transit. I celebrate this area and am proud of of what we have accomplished.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-22-2014 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 06:24 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,595,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Since a previous old post of mine was mentioned, http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ng-denver.html I want to add to this post as it is an interest of mine as a transit advocate. I have been involved in many public transit committees and studies over the many years and can speak with experience and knowledge about the public transit in this area.

Much time has passed this I presented the post about Car Free Living in Denver and It can be easily said it has become much better with the expansion of public transit under RTD including bike and pedestrian expansion.

One of the big measures of public transit is how one can get where one needs to go. There is recent study that places Denver 9th on a list for access to jobs with public transit
Denver ranked 9th for access to jobs by public transit - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com The full study is here Access Across America

This study does not sit alone in cited Denver as having one of the best transit system in the country. I want to point you to another older post of mine which gives you more information specifically a Brookings Study which indicate Denver at 6th out of a 100 metro areas as access to employment http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...tion-list.html

We have recently opened Union Station and 2016 will be a banner year as we open two new heavy commuter rail line, the Gold Line to Arvada/Wheat Ridge and the East Rail Line to the airport. Also, a new light rail line will be opening along 225 in Aurora which will meet the East Rail Line near the Anschutz Medical Campus at the Peoria Station. The Bus Rapid Transit along 36th to Boulder will also open. We have also started construction on the North Rail Commuter Line to Thornton with completion in 2018. There are now current studies to complete the Southeast Line through Lone Tree, the Central Rail extension from Downtown to the East Rail Line. RTD This all comes with expansion of buses and Call-n-Ride service which is also part of Fastracks. Also there is the ongoing study for BRT implementation along East Colfax Latest News | Colfax Corridor Connections | City and County of Denver | Public Works

So come to Denver if you want good public transit. It just requires you to pick wisely where you live for not all areas can provide the best public transit for you--that applies to all cities, including NYC, my native birth city, but I have been here 36 years.

Denver covers 8 counties and some areas of the suburbs have excellent public transit and even exceed services you will find in Denver. Also do not make the assumption that the best public transit is by rail to meet your needs; you can easily have excellent public transit by living near a major bus route which has high frequency, runs day and night for 7 days a week. Some of these bus routes provide better transit than the rail, depending on your needs.

We in the Denver area are striving to become better in public transit. We are attracting the best, the brightest and the most creative to this city and much of the reason is our commitment to public transit. I celebrate this area and am proud of of what we have accomplished.

Livecontent
Thanks for responding and I looked at the list. Ironically, the area in which I want to leave (Philly) and the area I want to avoid (NYC) are some of the best. I'm surprised about some of the places that made the list, though! Then again, I've never been out West. I might just have to visit my friend in Denver and check out Seattle before I decide on anything.

I don't have a driver's license. I know when I was looking Midwest, I think the fact that I didn't have a driver's license was a turn off to employers (though being 1000 miles away might have just been the turn off and not the fact I don't drive). If an area has good public transit options, do businesses place a lot of importance on having a driver's license for an application? I know it sounds odd and while I was in school, I never had that issue (Pennsylvania now has been a mixed bag since I'm looking for a 2nd job to save). I do have a state ID and if I can, I usually enter that number into applications. However when it's a yes or no question, that field doesn't pop up (since I say no).

Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 AM

371 posts, read 491,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post

I don't have a driver's license. I know when I was looking Midwest, I think the fact that I didn't have a driver's license was a turn off to employers (though being 1000 miles away might have just been the turn off and not the fact I don't drive). If an area has good public transit options, do businesses place a lot of importance on having a driver's license for an application? I know it sounds odd and while I was in school, I never had that issue (Pennsylvania now has been a mixed bag since I'm looking for a 2nd job to save). I do have a state ID and if I can, I usually enter that number into applications. However when it's a yes or no question, that field doesn't pop up (since I say no).
Even if it only asks for a drivers license, says "YES" and put in your state ID #. What the employer is generally looking for is whether or not the state -- any state -- has reviewed your SSN and birth certificate and determined that, yes, you are a citizen of the United States.

If they ask in an interview, you will want to say "No, I don't have a drivers license." For 9 out of 10 jobs, that is not an issue, as long as you can get to the office/store/etc. when you are scheduled to. For the 1 out of 10 jobs that requires driving, you're not going to get the job, but you don't want it anyway.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,595,509 times
Thanks for that head's up, blackmet! I don't encounter it a lot in Pennsylvania jobs, but if I do... I'll remember that and when it comes time to look to relocate again, I'll remember that as well.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
The issue of a driving license as a requirement for a job is only pertinent if you need to drive on the job.

If you do not have a driver license because you lost it for cause, then employer may consider it as a reason for rejection, i.e. if you lost your license for alcohol abuse and the attention to detail in important, then of course the employer would want to practice caution in hiring and it may create a red flag.

The asking for the license number is also done so you can more easily be identified for a background check which you approve when you sign the application. If you do not have a license, then say you do not and leave it at that--they will still have your SSN.

If you do not have a driver license because you have a physical impairment that prevents driving, then the employer would have severe ADA issues if that is the reason for rejecting the applicant as long as you can do the job or there can be reasonable accommodation. You are not required in an interview to divulge that issue unless you need a reasonable accommodation--for example, if you have severe epilepsy that prevents you from getting a license and it does not impair your performance.

I went from NYC to Dallas/Ft.Worth with American Airlines to work at the new airport. American Airlines was always headquartered in Manhattan on 3rd. Ave., a few blocks from the UN. American Airlines started moving people down to DFW (eventually closed the NY Hdqtrs.) and had the problem of giving them driving lessons because many had no driver license, as there was no need in NYC.

Of course my first few jobs as a kid, I did not have a driver's license but certainly desired with all my heart to drive and have a car. Now, I am retired and my desire is to drive less and eventually dump that car which makes costly demands.

Today many young bright people are choosing not to own a car or have a license. They look to live in denser walkable cities with good public transit and one of the reasons these people are attracted to Denver. Some seniors, like me, are also moving to Denver for the same reason.

Some of the best times in my life were when I had no car and walked much--it was in the Army, in College and living and working in NYC--and less I forget, when I was very young and all I wanted was that bright red bicycle with the balloon tires--no license needed!

I want to add that The Regional Transportation District has excellent support for the disabled as I see you have health problems preventing you from driving--you can receive a discount card for transit cost. http://www.rtd-denver.com/DiscountFares.shtml If you are severely disabled and cannot reach the transit stop then you can qualify for Access-a-Ride which will pick you up at home and take you to your destination and return--it also gives you reduced cab fare and a free bus pass--sometimes a disability is less impairing on some days and destinations and then the person can use public transit and relieve the demand on the costly Access-a-Ride paratransit van service http://www.rtd-denver.com/accessARide.shtml

I am a strong advocate for the disabled as I suddenly became one!

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-26-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
It looks like DU has the only Master's in Library Science program in CO.
Alphabetical List of Institutions with ALA-Accredited Programs | ALA Accredited Programs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver