U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,840,505 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and hating every minute of it. I would like to move once I get the money and experience to do so (experience so I can line up a job elsewhere... tried to do it earlier this year in Michigan and as a recent grad, no luck). Denver never crossed my mind and honestly, I have no desire to live in Denver. One of my Midwestern friends picked up and moved to Denver. She said, "if you want to go Midwest, come to Denver! It's great here! There are so many jobs!" I replied, "Well, I heard that Denver and Colorado in general doesn't have public transit or it's not really great." (I don't drive and because of some health as well as personal reasons, I won't be driving.) She replied, "Oh, Denver has one of the best public transit systems in the country and they're adding more trains!" I just went on to say, I would prefer to go places where I've been before and know people. I had family in Denver, but they hate us now and won't talk to us.

So... does Denver have public transit and is it as good as she said it is? I might not want to move here right now... but as I said to my friend, when the time comes where I have enough savings, I'm just going to apply everywhere. I prefer Wisconsin, but I think I may end up applying domestically as well as internationally. I have no idea how smart that is, but when the time comes... I might have a better idea in mind. Also, does Denver have a good economy compared to everywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:00 PM

473 posts, read 693,457 times
It's not perfect but for a big city out west it's well above the rest. If you live and work downtown, in the inner ring communities around downtown, or along a rail line you'll manage just fine. Further out is more challenging, especially with limited night and weekend frequency bus service.

So why does your family hate you? But "they won't talk to us" did you mean your Midwestern friend? Or another family member. If the former why would your family care about your friend? I apologize but I didn't quite follow the narrative here.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,901,909 times
"Oh, Denver has one of the best public transit systems in the country "

It's possible when you include buses, bikes and trains into the mix. However, you being from the East Coast might be expecting a full network coverage via a subway or commuter rail...so let's get real here:

Philly

Denver

Old 10-15-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
It's not perfect but for a big city out west it's well above the rest. If you live and work downtown, in the inner ring communities around downtown, or along a rail line you'll manage just fine. Further out is more challenging, especially with limited night and weekend frequency bus service.

So why does your family hate you? But "they won't talk to us" did you mean your Midwestern friend? Or another family member. If the former why would your family care about your friend? I apologize but I didn't quite follow the narrative here.
Hey,

No, my friend doesn't hate me... but I said I wanted to be around people I knew... I wouldn't move if I didn't know someone there. Then I thought, I have family there... but they don't talk to my family here on the East Coast. The family in Denver is my dad's cousin's family... so she'd be a 2nd cousin to me. She and her husband moved to Denver in the 70s and started a family there - her parents (my great aunt and uncle) stayed on the East Coast in Brooklyn. When my great uncle died in 1993, my great aunt moved back to King of Prussia until she got really sick and moved to Denver to be with her daughter in 2006. My grandma (nan) took care of her until she moved in with her daughter. Well, my great aunt died in 2009 after falling and hit her head. In 2010, my 2nd cousin arranged a trip for nan to go out to Denver to visit, then a trip to LA to visit her nephew (2nd cousin's brother) and then my great uncle (nan's younger brother) in Arizona. It was a three week trip. Well, my great aunt was a pack rat and my 2nd cousin took after her. Her young grandchildren also lived with her and there was no structure. Nan was 87 at that time and after she came back, nan said, "You really need to give your grandchildren structure. They're allowed to do everything - they have free reign of the house. They don't listen to you." I think nan also said something about taking after her mother with the junk. She never talked to us again - even when we left a message for them in 2013 that nan died, never heard back... so yeah.

But, I'm not sure how long my friend will stay. I don't want to leave here until I have money and by that time, who knows. Like I said, I've never been there and I'm not sure if I'd live there. My experience is in library and writing. My degree is in English. Just not sure.

Hmmm... Mach50, transit doesn't look too bad, but you're right - it's not like Philly. I might hate it here, but it does have decent transit. My friend that moved there is originally from Detroit and Detroit is sort of lacking. She also drives, though, and doesn't need to depend on it. I always thought Denver was the West, not the Midwest.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:33 PM

30 posts, read 37,141 times
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't put Denver's public transit very far up the list of western cities. The greater bay area or seattle come to mind.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Yes I realized your friend didn't hate you, (or they probably would have avoided you at the party where you discussed moving to Denver.) In any case, whether your family here is speaking to you or not, the nice thing is that people of all types ride the buses and trains-thus making it easy to make new friends.

I tell people, "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet." So no reason to be shy! People enjoy learning about others and striking up conversations. Unless they're reading, or listening to music, or their podcasts, or looking out the window having some quiet time on the ride home from work. In those instances I would advise not talking to them.

However if they appear enthusiastic about a topic that can be a conversation starter! For example many people wear Avalanche jerseys or Rockies jerseys when headed to a game. *Don't be nervous and mistake them for the players just because they're wearing the same jerseys, rather they're fans wearing their work uniform for solidarity and comradery. (The players in fact are already at the stadium or arena warming up for the game, and most likely they didn't ride the bus there. Well, perhaps the ones with DUIs did, but I'll bet they had a friend drive them. Or just drove anyway.) So - just say to the person in the jersey, "What do you think of our Denver sports teams this season? They sure are scoring some points!" (or not scoring the points - check the news first to get a leg up.) Point is, it's easy to make friends.

I do not have any family in Pennsylvania myself, or at least none that I know of. Unrelated: I've always wondered why that city was called "King of Prussia" so I'm going to look that up tonight.

Cheers!

Last edited by jamesdenver; 10-15-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM

918 posts, read 983,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
"Oh, Denver has one of the best public transit systems in the country "

It's possible when you include buses, bikes and trains into the mix. However, you being from the East Coast might be expecting a full network coverage via a subway or commuter rail...so let's get real here:
True, though let's also show what the system will look like in four years.

RTD's rail system is more of a commuter system than anything else, but it's pretty decent for a downtown worker. The bus system is pretty extensive and the biking system is also decent and serve people well if you live within one of the center city neighborhoods.

It's not Philly, but it's a hell of a lot better than Detroit. Or Cleveland.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,901,909 times
King of Prussia is actually a nice suburban town, I used to travel there to work at Lockheed Martin by the mall. If you really need public transit just stay there.

Last edited by Mach50; 10-15-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
King of Prussia is actually a nice suburban town, I used to travel there to work at Lockheed Martin by the mall.
There's actually not a lot of jobs here outside of science or retail. A lot of places closed or relocated. But, even science I think is tough to get into around here. A lot of people my age or middle aged people with families end up moving either for work or something cheaper (or both). I am born and raised here, I want to get out. :\ I'm having trouble finding work, but I know I can't go anywhere without money. I have an interview on Friday for a 2nd job (work for UM Township Library) and I have my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Yes I realized your friend didn't hate you, (or they probably would have avoided you at the party where you discussed moving to Denver.) In any case, whether your family here is speaking to you or not, the nice thing is that people of all types ride the buses and trains-thus making it easy to make new friends.

I tell people, "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet." So no reason to be shy! People enjoy learning about others and striking up conversations. Unless they're reading, or listening to music, or their podcasts, or looking out the window having some quiet time on the ride home from work. In those instances I would advise not talking to them.

However if they appear enthusiastic about a topic that can be a conversation starter! For example many people wear Avalanche jerseys or Rockies jerseys when headed to a game. *Don't be nervous and mistake them for the players just because they're wearing the same jerseys, rather they're fans wearing their work uniform for solidarity and comradery. (The players in fact are already at the stadium or arena warming up for the game, and most likely they didn't ride the bus there. Well, perhaps the ones with DUIs did, but I'll bet they had a friend drive them. Or just drove anyway.) So - just say to the person in the jersey, "What do you think of our Denver sports teams this season? They sure are scoring some points!" (or not scoring the points - check the news first to get a leg up.) Point is, it's easy to make friends.

I do not have any family in Pennsylvania myself, or at least none that I know of. Unrelated: I've always wondered why that city was called "King of Prussia" so I'm going to look that up tonight.

Cheers!
Yeah, I think people can be friendly anywhere. I just want to settle where I can find work and of course, somewhere I can fit in. I don't really have friends here... most of my friends are in the Midwest. Sometimes I wonder about my degree - but I'd like go back for the MLIS to improve my chances of library work elsewhere, then continue on with my German and Arabic... I keep telling myself that these languages will come in handy some day...

Hmmm... I think it was named after some Prussian!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
then continue on with my German and Arabic... I keep telling myself that these languages will come in handy some day..
And Mandarin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or