U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2014, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
52 posts, read 397,675 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Not sure where you are from (if I had to guess from the user name, I'd say Cincinnati), but if you are from Colorado, you haven't been paying attention to politics.

Voters in Colorado are split into thirds: 1/3 are Republican, 1/3 are Democrat, and 1/3 are Independent. It has been this way for decades. A politician cannot win a statewide election without gaining the support of Independents.

Of the governors in the past 30 years, four have been Democrats (22 years) and one has been a Republican (8 years). The state legislature is usually split as well with one branch being controlled by Republicans and the other controlled by Democrats. Even our senators are usually split with one Republican and one Democrat, and currently the Representatives from Colorado are split with three Democrats and four Republicans.

I am a native of Colorado. My name is because it is what I was eating at the time and all the good names I thought of were taken. Born in Co Springs. went to west middle school and Cherry creek high school. Lived in the DTC area most my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 AM
 
695 posts, read 801,397 times
Reputation: 511
After yesterday, Colorado is fast becoming just as red as Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
52 posts, read 397,675 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
After yesterday, Colorado is fast becoming just as red as Texas.
This is what I was trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village Colorado
52 posts, read 397,675 times
Reputation: 47
That's what i was trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,206,676 times
Reputation: 10428
Not hardly. Just a reflection of a state that has equal parts D/R/I voters. A strange state... people voted down (by a huge margin) defining life at the moment the sperm hits the egg, but voted in a senator who believes just that, while at the same time re-electing a liberal governor.

And the odds of Colorado having the bat-$hit crazy Republicans Texas gets are slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,922 posts, read 11,597,223 times
Reputation: 31693
Mid terms historically favor Republicans as older white voters are more likely to turn out. Don't hold your breath expecting a repeat in 2016, locally or nationally. Statistics and demographics support the Democrats gaining longer term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,522 posts, read 10,185,025 times
Reputation: 9747
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Not hardly. Just a reflection of a state that has equal parts D/R/I voters. A strange state... people voted down (by a huge margin) defining life at the moment the sperm hits the egg, but voted in a senator who believes just that, while at the same time re-electing a liberal governor.

And the odds of Colorado having the bat-$hit crazy Republicans Texas gets are slim.
Not quite. Gordon Klingenschmitt got elected to the state house from El Paso County and he makes 99.99999999% of the Republican Party look liberal. The guy's a homophobic, theocratic bigot who's made hyperbolic statements like "Obamacare causes cancer," has called Obama a demon, and said that Jared Polis wants to join ISIS in beheading Americans. The guy is a certifiable effing nut job and he won his district 70%-30%. He's so far out there the Colorado GOP wants nothing to do with him. He makes Dougie Bruce seem like a saint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 PM
 
459 posts, read 671,753 times
Reputation: 726
We are just a purple state that became more purple.

The state house and state senate are going to be close and either party could control one or both of those based on the votes being counted in Adams county. We still have a democratic governor.

We have 3 dems and 4 republicans in US congress. We NOW have one US senator thats republican and one that's democratic.

It's no surprise to me or anyone else who follows CO politics that this was bound to happen as the independents shift one way or the other based on national trends, candidates, and if one party or the other overreaches. BTW I have been saying the same thing to my liberal friends who after 2008 thought we were headed to a permanent democratic majority, and I do not see any massive change in the electorate to make me think we would be heading in the other direction now. Sure we may shift a little more to the right then the deep purple we are now but eventually the republicans (like the democrats) overreach and the independents correct it back to the center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,206,676 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Not quite. Gordon Klingenschmitt got elected to the state house from El Paso County and he makes 99.99999999% of the Republican Party look liberal. The guy's a homophobic, theocratic bigot who's made hyperbolic statements like "Obamacare causes cancer," has called Obama a demon, and said that Jared Polis wants to join ISIS in beheading Americans. The guy is a certifiable effing nut job and he won his district 70%-30%. He's so far out there the Colorado GOP wants nothing to do with him. He makes Dougie Bruce seem like a saint.
Well, El Paso County is a political nut factory... we all know that. But still, Colorado is nothing like Tex-ass and the political freak show they put on state-wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,206,676 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
We are just a purple state that became more purple.

The state house and state senate are going to be close and either party could control one or both of those based on the votes being counted in Adams county. We still have a democratic governor.

We have 3 dems and 4 republicans in US congress. We NOW have one US senator thats republican and one that's democratic.

It's no surprise to me or anyone else who follows CO politics that this was bound to happen as the independents shift one way or the other based on national trends, candidates, and if one party or the other overreaches. BTW I have been saying the same thing to my liberal friends who after 2008 thought we were headed to a permanent democratic majority, and I do not see any massive change in the electorate to make me think we would be heading in the other direction now. Sure we may shift a little more to the right then the deep purple we are now but eventually the republicans (like the democrats) overreach and the independents correct it back to the center.
CO will remain purple until we see Democratic voter registrations significantly outnumber Republican. Until that changes, it will remain more centrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top