U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:20 AM

21,013 posts, read 11,633,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
When I see that Househunters show in Houston, the houses seem dirt cheap to me. But maybe it's like Denver where the further out you are, the cheaper the houses.
I was also surprised by the comments that housing prices in Texas were so much higher than in Denver, as I have seen the same thing on those shows - large homes with fancy finishes for much less than I've seen similar ones in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM

2,367 posts, read 3,910,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
When I see that Househunters show in Houston, the houses seem dirt cheap to me. But maybe it's like Denver where the further out you are, the cheaper the houses.
Houston dwarfs Denver in size. Our density in the inner city is rapidly rising. If you want to live near down in an area with above average schools you will start at 500-600K for an old house. New construction townhouses on my street start around 600K. That is for a mixed neighborhood going through gentrification. In the nicer neighborhoods a bare lot starts at 800K for an older house. New construction will start at 1.4mil. I also had a friend moved to Denver from Houston about two years ago. He said the prices are about 20-30% cheaper. He bought a house in Cherry Hills which was much less than his old house in South Hampton. Our housing market is flat out nuts right now. Houses sell at full asking in 1-2 days. Bidding wars are very common. Houses often go for 10-20% over asking. We just have too many people moving here. Even our suburbs are going pretty strong. My guess is house hunters was showing houses in the cheap suburbs like Pearland. I could sell my tiny 1650sqft bungalow and buy a monster fancy house in the burbs, but the day I move outside of our inner loop is the day I leave this state. Hopefully, soon too. I hate Texas and the people that run it.

I do believe Denver used to be more expensive, but Houston is growing at a very fast pace. They no longer build 3 story high density apartments. They are all 7-8 stories now. Large plots of land inside the city are getting scarce. We still have a huge apartment shortage. Houston had 17K apartment units under construction in Q3 of last year. We keep building at a crazy pace and yet prices still keep rising 10% a year. They fill up as fast as they build them. I have no clue about prices in SA, Austin, or Dallas. Supply and demand.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:08 PM

459 posts, read 672,170 times
Not that it's anything to be proud of but Denver housing is still more substantially more expensive than Houston on a per sq ft basis. Even the undesirable high-crime neighborhoods (Montbello, Westwood, Etc.) in Denver proper are still more expensive than the median per sq ft in Houston proper.

Getting into the higher end places Cherry Hills Village is more expensive per sq ft (median $403 list $382 per sq ft sold) then just about every place in Houston Proper save maybe River Oaks, and is more expensive than South Hampton (median $341 per sq ft sold as of September 2014). However, Texas does have some Texas sized houses in that price range so the overall price may be higher in Houston on the upper-middle to upper class houses while the price per sq ft would be higher in Denver.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Cherry Hills looked mostly like newer construction though. There is not a ton of new construction in South Hampton. Mostly, old remodeled homes. Houston proper covers a massive area. I am curious if you have a less percentage of poor people than we do. Anyways, all I know is I looked at about 30 houses online and it did not look more expensive to me for comparable lot sizes and neighborhoods. Then again I was looking at more expensive houses. Anyways, even if it is slightly more expensive I think it will be worth the move. Houston used to be a very good buy. My house has doubled in price in just six years. Statistics and median house prices are not a good way to compare housing prices. You have to actually do real comps. Find comparable lot sqft, house sqft, finishes, and location.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM

459 posts, read 672,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Cherry Hills looked mostly like newer construction though. There is not a ton of new construction in South Hampton. Mostly, old remodeled homes. Houston proper covers a massive area. I am curious if you have a less percentage of poor people than we do. Anyways, all I know is I looked at about 30 houses online and it did not look more expensive to me for comparable lot sizes and neighborhoods. Then again I was looking at more expensive houses. Anyways, even if it is slightly more expensive I think it will be worth the move. Houston used to be a very good buy. My house has doubled in price in just six years. Statistics and median house prices are not a good way to compare housing prices. You have to actually do real comps. Find comparable lot sqft, house sqft, finishes, and location.
Agreed on an individual level comps are best and the margins per sq ft definitely narrow on the higher end in comps between Denver and Houston. Cherry Hills to South Hampton is not really a good comparison IMO as Cherry Hills is outside the city limits of Denver, and is further away from Downtown. Other areas such as Country Club, Wash Park, Cherry Creek, Belcaro are better comps. Although some of the Denver neighborhoods I cited have better housing diversity than South hampton (IE more multifamily), the age and location of those neighborhoods are more in line with South Hampton from my understanding of Houston and that neighborhood.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:23 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,218,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Houston dwarfs Denver in size. Our density in the inner city is rapidly rising. If you want to live near down in an area with above average schools you will start at 500-600K for an old house. New construction townhouses on my street start around 600K. That is for a mixed neighborhood going through gentrification. In the nicer neighborhoods a bare lot starts at 800K for an older house. New construction will start at 1.4mil. I also had a friend moved to Denver from Houston about two years ago. He said the prices are about 20-30% cheaper. He bought a house in Cherry Hills which was much less than his old house in South Hampton. Our housing market is flat out nuts right now. Houses sell at full asking in 1-2 days. Bidding wars are very common. Houses often go for 10-20% over asking. We just have too many people moving here. Even our suburbs are going pretty strong. My guess is house hunters was showing houses in the cheap suburbs like Pearland. I could sell my tiny 1650sqft bungalow and buy a monster fancy house in the burbs, but the day I move outside of our inner loop is the day I leave this state. Hopefully, soon too. I hate Texas and the people that run it.

I do believe Denver used to be more expensive, but Houston is growing at a very fast pace. They no longer build 3 story high density apartments. They are all 7-8 stories now. Large plots of land inside the city are getting scarce. We still have a huge apartment shortage. Houston had 17K apartment units under construction in Q3 of last year. We keep building at a crazy pace and yet prices still keep rising 10% a year. They fill up as fast as they build them. I have no clue about prices in SA, Austin, or Dallas. Supply and demand.
Same problem as Denver, larger scale.

Atlanta surprises me how cheap houses are, but on Househunters, it looks like they're normally looking in very far out areas, and I'll notice cheap things like vinyl siding on a very large home. Quantity over quality I suppose. But when I was in Buckhead a couple years ago, the prices still seemed rather reasonable for such in desirable area.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:29 PM

1,246 posts, read 919,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Agreed. Gardener is the worst candidate anyone could have elected. I have no respect for that "man". Considering getting a bumper sticker that says "f*** Gardener, then don't let him abort".

I'm concerned that our state may be becoming more red. I didn't like the person he replaced, but we just went from bad to worst.
Your team lost, learn to tolerate the red perspective.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Your team lost, learn to tolerate the red perspective.
Republicans always win midterms. In two years, the Democrats will take a lot back. Just two years ago they were saying doom and gloom for Republicans.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 PM

387 posts, read 271,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You have the highly conservative population of Colorado Springs
Uhh...what? Senate district 11, which covers the heart of Colorado Springs, was home to staunch Democrat (and Bloomberg sock puppet) John Morse and just elected Michael Bloomberg's former "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" coordinator, Michael Merrifield. There is nothing conservative about either of those two politicians, so I sincerely doubt the electorate is as conservative as you claim it is.

As for myself, I am looking forward to moving to Colorado to escape the "Liberal paradise" of California.

ETA: I like purple states: my vote will actually count for something.

Last edited by rumline; 11-07-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 PM

6,528 posts, read 10,197,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Uhh...what? Senate district 11, which covers the heart of Colorado Springs, was home to staunch Democrat (and Bloomberg sock puppet) John Morse and just elected Michael Bloomberg's former "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" coordinator, Michael Merrifield. There is nothing conservative about either of those two politicians, so I sincerely doubt the electorate is as conservative as you claim it is.

As for myself, I am looking forward to moving to Colorado to escape the "Liberal paradise" of California.

ETA: I like purple states: my vote will actually count for something.
Check out Colorado House District 15 and Congressman-Elect Gordon Klingenschmitt. He's a bombastic, theocratic, homophobic windbag, and he won 70%-30%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or