U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Breckenridge
2,367 posts, read 3,910,668 times
Reputation: 1642

Advertisements

I am pretty sure we will be moving to Denver next year. So, I want to start house hunting where to live. I am pretty active in the Houston city-data area. I am used to people asking the exact question I am about to ask. Hopefully, I provided enough info for you all to help. I used to people asking where they can live for 700 a month that has really good schools in a safe area.

I am a 40 year old single male. I have two dogs. I don't care about the school district. I do want to be close to the center of the city as that is where I live in Houston. I would prefer a house or some place my dogs can play and poop. My budget is 900K-1.5mil. Our offices will be downtown or near there. It would be nice to be walking distance to bars and restaurants. I looked through zillow and the neighborhoods I saw that looked nice were Washington Park and Cherry Creek. I wish I could do something near Lodo, but dogs are a pain in a highrise or loft. A view of the mountains everyday sounds really nice. I like the idea to be able to run home to let the dogs out at lunch sometimes. Last quick question. I daily drive a BMW M3. Is that impractical in Denver? Do I need to move to an awd sedan or suv? And, one more question I just thought of. How hot is your market there? Here things last 1-2 days on the market and we have almost no inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Reputation: 12948
City Park, City Park West, Congress Park, Cheesman Park, Park Hill, Speer, Country Club.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Reputation: 32951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I am pretty sure we will be moving to Denver next year. So, I want to start house hunting where to live. I am pretty active in the Houston city-data area. I am used to people asking the exact question I am about to ask. Hopefully, I provided enough info for you all to help. I used to people asking where they can live for 700 a month that has really good schools in a safe area.

I am a 40 year old single male. I have two dogs. I don't care about the school district. I do want to be close to the center of the city as that is where I live in Houston. I would prefer a house or some place my dogs can play and poop. My budget is 900K-1.5mil. Our offices will be downtown or near there. It would be nice to be walking distance to bars and restaurants. I looked through zillow and the neighborhoods I saw that looked nice were Washington Park and Cherry Creek. I wish I could do something near Lodo, but dogs are a pain in a highrise or loft. A view of the mountains everyday sounds really nice. I like the idea to be able to run home to let the dogs out at lunch sometimes. Last quick question. I daily drive a BMW M3. Is that impractical in Denver? Do I need to move to an awd sedan or suv? And, one more question I just thought of. How hot is your market there? Here things last 1-2 days on the market and we have almost no inventory.
I'll start. I can answer some of your questions.

You should have no problem at your price point finding what you want within walking distance of downtown. You do not need to buy a new car; however, when you do replace your car, you'll probably want an AWD. I was a visiting nurse for years with a regular FWD, and even occasionally drove my spouse's RWD. I'm not sure about the housing market, but when my daughter was looking last year, it was as you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Reputation: 12948
BTW, getting mountain views in Denver isn't as easy as you'd think (it's easier in the suburbs, but only marginally so). The neighborhoods I listed for you are pretty much all within old growth tree canopies.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Breckenridge
2,367 posts, read 3,910,668 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
BTW, getting mountain views in Denver isn't as easy as you'd think (it's easier in the suburbs, but only marginally so). The neighborhoods I listed for you are pretty much all within old growth tree canopies.
I was referring to a highrise or loft for mountain views. I don't want to live in either. I have been to Denver and know I won't get mountain views. I just want a nice neighborhood that is close to the center. I fully admit I am a partier. A townhouse would also work if there was a small backyard.

Odd question, but how hipster is Denver? I hope not as bad as Austin. I had a friend that lived in Lodo before he bought his house in Cherry Hills and loved it there. I don't want to live far out in Cherry Hills though. He has just lived there for a little over a year. I guess I should call him and ask him what he thinks too, but I doubt he has much experience with the neighborhoods you listed. He is wifed up. Thanks for your help. I will look into those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Reputation: 12948
Yes, housing market is incredibly tight/low inventory.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Reputation: 12948
Denver is quite hipster. I've never been to Austin, so I can't compare. Denver is only slightly less hipster than Portland IMO.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,942 posts, read 3,240,023 times
Reputation: 6712
Hey Schumacher,

I have seen some of your posts on the Houston forum, which I frequent because that's where I'm from. I will try and answer some questions, and you will get better/additional info from others.

First off, as you can probably guess, your budget gives you possibilities almost anywhere. $950-1.5M will get you into any neighborhood in Denver, though in some really hot areas like Wash Park and Cherry Creek, there seems to be a tipping point at right around $1-1.25M where below that means a place might actually need some work and get snapped up within days. When we were looking 2 years ago, it seemed like that was the case anyway. $850-900K got so-so, but if you could go up to $1M or above, there were lots of great options. So, consider how much time and effort you want to spend on those houses below $1M. Of those 2 neighborhoods you mentioned, Wash Park is the more hip and trendy. Cherry Creek skews a little older/retirees. Think of it like the Galleria area. Other areas you might want to look might include Observatory Park, the University area, Capital Hill and the Highlands, although I am not really sure about the overall size and quality of single family/detached homes in the Cap Hill and Highlands area. I think those 2 areas might remind you more of Montrose though. Also, I am not so sure LoDo does not offer single family homes, but someone else will hopefully chime in on that.

I am sure other posters will offer suggestions I cannot think of right now. Ultimately, we ended up in Stapleton because we did need to consider schools, it offered a better commute for us, and my husband could just not stomach buying a 900K house that needed work and might or might not even have a garage.

EDIT: I like all the areas David recommended. Completely forgot to mention those. We did look in those areas as well.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 03:10 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,950 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Reputation: 22581
Default $700/month, LOL

want to be close to the center of the city
West Highland, Sloan's Lake, Berkeley, Platt Park (all have more retail than Wash Park)

prefer a house or some place my dogs can play and poop
See above. All have single family houses and duplexes with yards.

budget is $900K-1.5mil

Plenty of money for almost any neighborhood.
Here is a house for you - http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/39...05887549_zpid/

walking distance to bars and restaurants
I live in Berkeley. For me, see Berkeley Neighborhood and slightly beyond - Denver . 160 places I have walked to. Also, for me, Ammenities Close to 3968 Vrain Street, Denver, CO
Most of the restaurants are WEST of Colorado Blvd and NORTH of Evans.

neighborhoods I saw that looked nice were Washington Park and Cherry Creek.
They are. I lived in Bonnie Brae for 24 years.

drive a BMW M3.
You will be OK if you buy winter tires. Super OK if you buy studded tires.

How hot is your market there?
Today. Very warm (due to seasonality). Next Spring will be HOT as it was last year. See CAR: Condos out-performing s-f homes | Inside Real Estate News and


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Breckenridge
2,367 posts, read 3,910,668 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Hey Schumacher,

I have seen some of your posts on the Houston forum, which I frequent because that's where I'm from. I will try and answer some questions, and you will get better/additional info from others.

First off, as you can probably guess, your budget gives you possibilities almost anywhere. $950-1.5M will get you into any neighborhood in Denver, though in some really hot areas like Wash Park and Cherry Creek, there seems to be a tipping point at right around $1-1.25M where below that means a place might actually need some work and get snapped up within days. When we were looking 2 years ago, it seemed like that was the case anyway. $850-900K got so-so, but if you could go up to $1M or above, there were lots of great options. So, consider how much time and effort you want to spend on those houses below $1M. Of those 2 neighborhoods you mentioned, Wash Park is the more hip and trendy. Cherry Creek skews a little older/retirees. Think of it like the Galleria area. Other areas you might want to look might include Observatory Park, the University area, Capital Hill and the Highlands, although I am not really sure about the overall size and quality of single family/detached homes in the Cap Hill and Highlands area. I think those 2 areas might remind you more of Montrose though. Also, I am not so sure LoDo does not offer single family homes, but someone else will hopefully chime in on that.

I am sure other posters will offer suggestions I cannot think of right now. Ultimately, we ended up in Stapleton because we did need to consider schools, it offered a better commute for us, and my husband could just not stomach buying a 900K house that needed work and might or might not even have a garage.

EDIT: I like all the areas David recommended. Completely forgot to mention those. We did look in those areas as well.

Good luck!
Thanks for the help. I actually don't want to live in another Montrose area which is the hipster area. I just love the central location. I used to live in West U. I was going to move to River Oaks in two years, but this Denver thing changes my plans. Lowers my budget a lot too which is nice actually. I want a nice neighborhood with lots of trees. I doubt there is something similar to River Oaks there. I would like to find a lot size 6000-9000sqft. I also know there are no single family homes in Lodo, but there are townhouses. Who knows... maybe I will look into a loft and deal with the pains of walking dogs to poop. I hope we end up moving. I hate Texas. It is time for a change.

My last option is to buy a tear down and build new. I used to spec build homes, so it would not be too hard to handle. I must not admit I was not wild about the architecture I saw. I don't mind some remodeling though no garage and dealing with snow? That is not going to happen.

I don't mind selling my M3. I wish the Tesla Model D was already out. I bet there will be a serious back order for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top