U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,494 times

Advertisements

I am a single professional female in my early 30's moving to Denver for a great job at the Anschultz Medical Campus. I am a native New Yorker and am hoping to find a walkable neighborhood not too far from work. I consider a 30 minute drive (in rush hour) reasonable. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 PM

6,941 posts, read 6,550,788 times
Budget? House/apartment? Rent/buy? What do you want in a home?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,798,128 times
Park Hill, Uptown, Congress park, Capitol Hill, Cheesman Park

Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM

I am looking to rent an apartment (1 bedroom). I have lived in some pretty terrible places so amenities aren't that important. I do need a safe neighborhood. Ideally I would like to be able to walk to the grocery store and a few bars/restaurants. I don't expect NYC in Denver but I don't want to drive everywhere either. I am hoping to spend around $1500/month but my budget is flexible. Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 PM

3,956 posts, read 3,272,307 times
Stapleton (where I live) and Lowry are the areas that attract a huge % of Anschutz professionals. They are, however, very family oriented, though the town homes and condos here do have a lot of Medical professionals in them. A bit "Stepford" in look and feel (particularly Stapleton). Very walkable in terms of greenways, parks etc. Retail is limited to Town Centers within each, but if you are close to the Town Centers, you have lots of what you need. Not really sure if $1,500 will get you in, maybe for a 1 bedroom it would. Both are 10 minute drives from Anschutz. The area of Aurora where Anschutz is located is not great, but it is in transition, and I think housing options are increasing.

The options MissTerri recommended would also be within your 30 minute commute. They are older neighborhoods with more character.

There are lots of neighborhoods ideal for someone in your demographic, but they would be outside that 30 min window and probably budget as well.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 PM

MissTerri and Texas Ag 93, thank you for your recommendations. I think that I lean towards older neighborhoods but appreciate that Stapleton is a good choice.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:51 PM

14,023 posts, read 20,336,588 times
Look at apartments at the intersection of Colorado Blvd and 10th ave.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,544,940 times
Good Suggestion to look at 10th and Colorado. This is the area of the old medical campus. Many of those who work at the new still live here. This is called the Hale neighborhood of Denver, east of Colorado and Congress Park, to the west. This area has many apartments and condos that were necessary for students and staff. Many are high rise. It is a nice walkable area and again reminiscent of parts of NYC. What will make it more appealing is this old campus is being redeveloped with shops and other amenities.

You can also look at the adjacent neighborhood of Montclair which has a sub-neighborhood of Mayfair which has a nice walkable area of stores. There is a neighborhood association Mayfair Neighbors Inc This would then be down the road on Colfax from Anschutz with good public transit. I am also a Native New Yorker and this neighborhood reminds of older areas of Queens.

Here is the official map of the neighborhoods to help you
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

You must also become familiar with big changes in public transit in the area. In 2016, there will be two rail lines opened with stations at the Anshutz Medical Campus. This will give you more options to live and have an easy commute. The East Rail is a heavy commuter rail will go from downtown to the airport with stops north near Anschutz at Peoria. The I-225 line is a light rail line, going through through Aurora and will have a station at the southern part of Anshutz and will meet the East Rail Line station.

It is all part of the large expansion of public transit call Fastracks
RTD

I would also examine all of the public transit site and learn how you can get to the campus now and how all will connect better in the future http://www.rtd-denver.com/ I am willing to bet that your employer will provide you with a subsidized or free pass on public transit.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-30-2014 at 11:13 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,280,389 times
Go with Livecontent That area is probably what you're looking for. Busy and more urban, but character and walkable. There's a Trader Joe's you could walk to, and other grocery stores not too far. A decent number of restaurants around there too. Plus you're near downtown and lots of nightlife.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:28 PM

Thank you all for the great advice. Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or