U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Denver will ever build a subway system?
Yes 3 6.52%
No 38 82.61%
Maybe/Not Sure 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM

656 posts, read 1,002,315 times

Advertisements

Denver proper has excellent public transportation... I just hope the rest of the metro area catches up soon.
As for a subway, I'm a bit doubtful. There's a good transportation network in place as is, consisting of both metro buses and light rail, and putting in a subway is a HUGE undertaking - much more than I think those who want to push for it realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,426,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But I fail to see how a mass transit system is more beneficial to Denver than what we currently have (including what is currently being built and planned) simply because it is underground?
Denver is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It is also continuing to densify as the population grows.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:10 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,073,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Denver is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It is also continuing to densify as the population grows.

You haven't addressed my question.

In case you missed it:

But I fail to see how a mass transit system is more beneficial to Denver than what we currently have (including what is currently being built and planned) simply because it is underground?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You haven't addressed my question.

In case you missed it:

To simply put it, better transit efficiency. You also have to look at the long term as well and the future generations. Denver's population will most likely double in the next 40-50 years. Great cities have the foresight to make the necessary transit moves to put their city in a great position for the future. Chicago and New York City are great examples of that as those cities planned for how their cities would be in the future. These cities built their subway systems back in the late 1800's early 1900's, and that's why these cities are still top tier cities in the country.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,186,249 times
No required need for a subway in Denver. We don't have the density to justify the greatly increased costs. Denver is historically a railroad town and much of our rail right of ways are being used for our light rail. With the exception of right down town we have the room to build without digging. Most of the new rail system is being built on either railroad or highway right of ways.

My personal bias is we have plenty of good weather and mountain scenery, I want to see the view while in transit, not be in a tunnel.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:21 PM

656 posts, read 1,002,315 times
I think that, if it came to that, elevated rail would probably be more feasible than a subway would be for Denver. Modernizing something which was built in the 1800s is one thing... putting something entirely new into place in 2014, when the population is much higher, there's much more traffic density, plus there are underground utilities which are much more of a factor than than they would've been in the 1800s and early 1900s - it's a much different matter.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:22 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
Quote:
To simply put it, better transit efficiency. You also have to look at the long term as well and the future generations. Denver's population will most likely double in the next 40-50 years. Great cities have the foresight to make the necessary transit moves to put their city in a great position for the future. Chicago and New York City are great examples of that as those cities planned for how their cities would be in the future. That's they made they built their subway systems back in the late 1800's early 1900's, and that's why these cities are still top tier cities in the country.
Read my previous post and learn something. Those subways were built for a reason.. Chicago and NYC built subways at that time because that was the only way to bypass the building which existed in their dense cities, even at that time.

Livecontent

Old 11-03-2014, 01:24 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
Quote:
Weren't you the same poster that created a thread praising Denver for being such a great leader for other cities when it comes to public transportation?

Public Transit in Denver has international Acclaim
What is wrong with you. Just because you think we should build a subway, then that is what should be done.--Please go away and take your naivety with you.

The article is from Toronto which is a world class city and they also build light rail and heavy rail that extends out of their city above the ground and complements their subway, . So, they think we are doing it correctly. So, who are you--find something to do.

Livecontent

Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,218,153 times
Quote:
That's my understanding. The only place I can see a subway working might be down Colorado Blvd. and then maybe a line down Speer and E. Colfax, making a triangle connecting Cherry Creek to downtown and the Colorado Blvd. line going above ground on the north end to connect to the airport line and then on the south end connecting to the light rail at I-25.

Cherry Creek density in increasing as it also is along parts of Colorado Blvd. But the cost would be incredible. Look how hard it's been to get a subway system going in L.A.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
gwillyfromphilly --so stop all this nonsense every few years. Get your kicks out of the transit we are now building and realize that the people who have designed and built this system are worldwide experts. These are the professional that RTD has hired. I have met many engineers and professional at transit meetings from all over who have built transit systems from Asia to Europe and believe me they are not ignorant about all the transit technology that is possible.
I'm not knocking Denver's light rail system as I have already said that is one of the best in the country. All I'm saying is that will Denver take its mass transit to a whole nother level in the future.

Quote:
I have no idea what you are trying to prove by grandstanding your ego on this idea, every few years--we are all well aware of subway technology. A great city is not always defined because it has a subway. We are another type of new city moving to greatness.

Livecontent
What ego? It's just whether or not you think Denver will ever build a subway system? It's as simple as that.

I know a great city isn't only defined by having a subway system but it's also no coincidence that the best transit cities in the world have rapid transit subway systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or