Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:30 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Flagstaff gets 100 inches of snow a year. There is a big difference in taking I-10 if needed. It's a very easy path without much cold and snow is rare. If OP is wiling to spend time in ABQ and watch the weather it should not be a problem.
Yeah, bypassing Flagstaff will bypass snow there. It does get a lot of snow, but not constantly, many days/weeks can pass without snowfall in the winter. Really, throughout the southwest is a crapshoot as far as weather is concerned. Can change on a dime anywhere in proximity of mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyshark View Post
How about the lodging and Gas station along I-40 vs I-70?. Mine won't do more that 160 miles per refill.
I-70 is more remote. If I recall, there's a couple 120+mile stretches without any services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 06:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Take a look at the very deep winter storm front moving down right now that stretches all the way from Western Montana through the middle of the Great Lakes region.

This is a very typical weather pattern at this time of the year. Here in Wyoming, we will be going from pleasant Fall weather conditions of late to freezing temps and single-digit overnight lows. That's in addition to the strong gusty winds that usually accompany these fronts and the prospect for moisture ... snowfall, scattered throughout the region. Colorado will be seeing it's share of winter weather from this, too. As will Northern New Mexico.

You may find that this frontal passage will leave messed up roads in it's wake for weeks afterwards. Or they may have cleared for most of your route. Emphasis on "most". With only two wheels for transportation, you don't need much snow/ice on the road to be the end of your ride ahead.

Again, pay attention to the road reports and weather forecasts, especially before you leave the lower elevations to the West in your departure. No point in getting halfway to your destination and months ahead of not being able to ride further.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-08-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 12:56 PM

473 posts, read 849,042 times
Quote:
I-70 is more remote. If I recall, there's a couple 120+mile stretches without any services.
Richfield or Salina eastbound to Green River is the longest stretch - about 100 miles with no services. There are rest areas, (with beautiful views - day and night. The stars are incredible.)

Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
I am inclined to options 1 since I presume the drive won't be cold.

Three nights ago the overnight low in Angel Fire, New Mexico was -23F (23 below 0) (-30C)

Old 11-21-2014, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 10,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Three nights ago the overnight low in Angel Fire, New Mexico was -23F (23 below 0) (-30C)
Weather turned upside down in last 10 days. I have postponed the plan to better time during Feb.
Thanks for all inputs.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Weather turned upside down in last 10 days. I have postponed the plan to better time during Feb.
Thanks for all inputs.
Sorry, tonyshark ...

But February is the middle of winter in these parts. You will definitely encounter the same or lower temps, snowy/icy roads, and miserable riding conditions at this time. You will still be in the height of ski season in the high country.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I am moving to denver on Nov 24. I like to drive motorcycle from San Fransisco to Denver via

Option 1: BakerField,CA => Las Vegas,NV,Hoover Dam => Alberqueque,NM and then north to Denver via 25.
Option 2: BakerField,CA => Las Vegas,NV,Hoover Dam, I-15 Northe and I-70 to denver.

I am inclined to options 1 since I presume the drive won't be cold. I have pretty good driving skills(10K miles per year). Mostly commute to work and been 1000 miles long trip once. Never rode on snow place.

Any feedbacks/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Tonyshark,
I am an old guy (68) and I have a helluva lotta miles on two wheels. A few thousand of those miles were from Santa Cruz, CA to Lincoln, Nebraska and two or three times it was in the dead of Winter.. Pay attention because what I am going to tell you may **** you off but it might also save your life.
First of all your statement """I am inclined to options 1 since I presume the drive won't be cold." Tells me that you have absolutely no idea just how cold you can get on a motorcycle. You may get lucky Do you know how cold you can get even on a relative WARM and DRY day with a temperature of 55 degrees F or less at road speeds? Add a bit of damp to that and it can be a killer.
Option # 1 is the only SANE option and that will still depend on several factors.
Warm clothing is a MUST. A snowmobile suit rated to 40 or 50 below zero F will keep you warm even at highway speeds with proper head gear and gloves (heated gloves preferably. I don't care how good your riding skills are. A patch of ice can kill you and in Novermber even on the route from SF to Bakersfied all the way to Albq then North to Denver you will likely encounter ice.

Make sure your machine is properly set up for winter and won't leave you stranded.
Here is a trick that I learned many years ago and I have used it several times to get home, even on icy roads in blizzards. Depending on the size of the tires on your motorcycle. Buy about 100 Heavy Duty plastic or Steel Cable ties long enough to go around your tire and wheels. Steel cable with self locking capability is expensive but best. Plastic ties are cheaper but they will work also. You will need the special pliers to cinch these ties tight and cut them. Probably $100.00 +/- ten bucks for 100 of them and the pliers.
When the temperature is close to 35 degrees if you see any signs of wet or icy roads or skies stop and get a road conditions report or weather ahead. 511 is the number to call almost anywhere. Oh did I mention a CELL phone is an absolute must. If you cannot afford to load your bike on a truck if you encounter ice your only chance of making it home will be to put the Steel or Plastic ties on. Place them about three inches apart all the way around your tires. This is a last resort only because NOBODY expects a motorcycle out on the road during a snowstorm or icy roads. Keep your speed down to about 30 mph or less and remember to watch what is happening on your six as well as in front of you.

I have done this several times when I was the only IDIOT on the highway and I emphasize idiot. Not the smartest thing I have done in my 58 years of riding but I know it can be done.
Good luck to you but I would advise buying or renting a U-Haul truck and loading the cycle in the back. When a good snowmobile suit and gloves can cost close to $500.00 it may be best LOL.
Gunluvver2

Old 11-22-2014, 08:00 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
tonyshark,
Maybe a better option for your move from SF to Denver would an Amtrak train. I believe they even have a program that allows you to travel along with your car/motorcycle. Don't try to find out anything by calling Amtrak, instead find a good travel agent. Big drawback to that plan now is too little time. Move your plans out a few weeks and it might be feasible.
GL2

Old 11-24-2014, 07:49 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Make sure you have good gear! Heated and other. It will be cold.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Thanks for all inputs.

Heh. Maybe wait until June. Expecting warm weather in February does not sound like a good plan.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: