Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 05:02 PM

22 posts, read 75,338 times

Advertisements

My family just moved to Broomfield, CO from the Charlotte NC area 6 weeks ago. After doing much online research over the last year and then our own exploring while here, plus word of mouth from people we have met- we think we plan to buy a house here in Broomfield where we are renting.
We have eliminated various towns because of the schools or the high prices of the homes. We think Broomfield is in a good location, with decent schools and decent prices.

Our daughters are currently at Aspen Creek K-8 in the BVSD. However we haven't found any homes we like or that we can afford in this school district. So the neighborhoods we have focused on are McKay Landing, RedLeaf and Anthem. So far looking at resales- the best we found for the money was in Anthem Highlands. We are close to making an offer, however I wanted peoples opinions on the neighborhood and area. The house is a Pulte home that is about 6 years old.

Everyone seems to say BVSD is the best one in Broomfield, however the school ratings of the schools that Anthem, Mckay landing, etc go to are very well rated but in the Adams 12 Five Star district. I know I could open enroll my kids to stay in Aspen Creek but I don't think I want to commit to driving them back and forth every day for years. Also the school is not as highly rated as the elementary in Adams 12 that my youngest would be going to. I like Aspen Creek but not sure if I love it enough to open enroll.

Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on the schools, neighborhoods and town? We crossed Arvada, Louisville, Superior, Lafayette, Erie and Westminster off our list for various reasons.

I love Anthem's views and location. Not thrilled about the higher taxes and HOA's.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:41 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,004,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traichle View Post
Everyone seems to say BVSD is the best one in Broomfield, however the school ratings of the schools that Anthem, Mckay landing, etc go to are very well rated but in the Adams 12 Five Star district.
Outside of one poster here I've never heard anyone say BVSD is the best in Broomfield. There are good schools spread out all over. You only need to look at the ratings and talk to the parents to know. The one you are likely looking at is in McKay. It is very well rated. Since you are in the area it is easy for you to go visit, chat with parents at pick up time, tour the school, talk to the administrator etc.

The neighborhoods you are looking at are all very good. To get less taxes you have to go to older neighborhoods that were not hit with special assessments when they were built. But it appears you have your sights set on newer homes, which is fine, you just pay more in real estate taxes.

If it were me I would choose McKay because of walk-ability to the school and being closer in. Red Leaf is nice and closer to the Broomfield rec center with it's indoor water park, great gym, pool, classes for kids and Broomfield commons park which has tons of athletic fields and a dog park. Anthem is more suburban in nature in that it is further removed from stores and restaurants, sort of at the edge of civilization. But still very nice. They have their own outdoor pool and small rec center (not in the same league as the Broomfield one in size and classes but with a very nice outdoor pool).

Basically you can't go wrong.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 PM

17,674 posts, read 29,584,857 times
Pulte builds crap.
I have seen it up close during and after construction.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:34 PM

mic111-I've seen and heard much about the BVSD compared to the Adams 12 Five Star school district. Not only on Citydata but also thru word of mouth with people who live here, realtors, etc.
Most people I have met have either paid a lot to be in a house West of Sheridan so they can be in BVSD or if they live in the newer homes East of Sheridan- they open enroll in BVSD.
So I do have my concerns about the Adams 12 school district. Have heard several things that make me worry. However I can not afford Aspen Creek neighborhood and the other neighborhoods are a bit older then we like AND still not cheap.

I agree the walkability of McKay Landing is nice and the location of RedLeaf near the community center, etc. And Anthem we love that it's a bit farther out and more rural with great views- but still close to everything in Broomfield.
We have found a resale in Anthem that is just much nicer and more spacious then what we can get in McKay Landing or RedLeaf. Plus it has many more amenities which we like.

Yes I don't think we could go wrong with any of the neighborhoods.

As for Pulte, I think it just depends. We had lots of Pulte in NC & SC where I lived and didn't hear bad things. The house itself looks good- my husband notices those kinds of things and it is better quality then some we have lived in. We do plan on getting a very thorough inspector.

Any other advice or thoughts on Anthem would be great? I've seen comments about Coyotes, the local airport, etc. Any more details would be great!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,004,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traichle View Post
mic111-I've seen and heard much about the BVSD compared to the Adams 12 Five Star school district. Not only on Citydata but also thru word of mouth with people who live here, realtors, etc.
Most people I have met have either paid a lot to be in a house West of Sheridan so they can be in BVSD or if they live in the newer homes East of Sheridan- they open enroll in BVSD.
So I do have my concerns about the Adams 12 school district. Have heard several things that make me worry. However I can not afford Aspen Creek neighborhood and the other neighborhoods are a bit older then we like AND still not cheap.
In Broomfield the rated elementary schools are:
Meridian rated 9 - Adams 12 5 star
Mountain View rated 8 - Adams 12 5 star
Coyote Ridge rated 8 - Adams 12 5 star
Kohl rated 8 - BVSD
Birch rated 7 - BVSD
Jefferson rated 7 - Jefferson County
Emerald rated 6 - BVSD
Aspen rated 6 - BVSD
Centennial rated 3 - Adams 12 5 star (but you have to realize this school has a trailer park as it's main residential area and that affects its performance 55% eligible for free lunches vs. 11% for Aspen creek vs. 4% for Meridian)

I simply corrected your statement that the BVSD is the best in Broomfield. If you are talking to people that believe that then more power to them. If they want to pay a premium to say the live in BVSD then that is their choice. Is it the best in Broomfield? See above. If your renting in Aspen Creek then your likely talking to people in Aspen Creek. I think it is great that they think their school is great and it probably is just fine. But I suspect there is a little bit of self back patting and justifying their choice vs. real facts. That aside, I would say you can't go wrong in Broomfield with any of the schools. The choices are not so different like forcing you to choose between sending your kid to the projects in Detroit vs. Beverly Hills CA. In reality your simply choosing good school A vs. good school B.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 PM

I know what all the schools are rated. Have been researching extensively for a year. More to a school then it's Greatschool rating. I also know what the reputations of the school districts are- from various sources all around the Denver metro.

Anyway, would love more thoughts on Anthem itself, thoughts on Prospect Ridge Academy located there, would love to hear from people who actually live in that neighborhood.
Also would like to hear from someone who has kids in Rocky Top Middle and if they like the school. Haven't heard much about it.
Thanks!

Old 11-05-2014, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,830 times
We've been living in Anthem since the last 7 years and will be upgrading to a bigger Anthem house end of this year. We love the community feeling here & the HOA we pay is totally worth the rec center and all the activities organized through the year.

Most of Anthem is assigned Meridian or Coyote Ridge elementary, both of which are considered very good schools.

Rocky Top Middle is a little ways away from Anthem but again aren't a sending their kids there seem to love their school.

Legacy High is again a highly sought after school.

Prospect Ridge is an excellent chartered school (high school just opened so no idea how that'll rate). Have heard from parents that it is getting harder & harder to get into their lottery with every passing year.

Yesterday the ballots closed on a new Anthem school, which if passed would open either a K-5 or K-8 within Anthem (fingers crossed).

Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 AM

698 posts, read 2,040,123 times
The Adams 12 funding didn't pass. The district had indicated if it doesn't they will have to redraw boundaries. Not sure how that will work.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:53 PM

Psam- great to hear that you love Anthem. I heard the same thing too- PRA is very hard to get into. It's so convenient and walkable which makes it desirable.
We are contemplating keeping our kids at Aspen Creek K-8 if possible. Do you know of people there in Anthem who open enroll at Aspen Creek?

Yes I'm concerned about the funding that didn't pass for Adams 12. Have you heard anything about redistricting?

Also do you know of any plans for retail being built around there since it's a bit far out?

Lastly, we've been thru the 'building new' in our last 2 neighborhoods and getting involved in all the social activities. Not as interested in that anymore as our kids aren't as young. We are looking into a house that was built in about 6 years ago in the Prospect Ridge area- hoping it is relatively quiet over there? I guess we aren't looking for lots of partying in the driveways and all of that. Looking for more established.

Thanks so much for all your advice!!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,830 times
I do know of people who open enroll in Aspen Creek for Pre-K (which doesn't mean there aren't older kids that do the same).

The Adams 12 funding definitely is bad news. Haven't heard anything concrete about redrawing boundaries, we'll have to wait and watch.

As of now two gas stations are coming up on Hwy 7 (across Lowell and second one near Children's Hospital). Erie just announced a King Soopers-anchored shopping center at the northwest corner of Highway 7 and Sheridan.

Other than the Kingssooper most of the planned development so far is health related as far as I remember.

The Pulte construction are more established from 5- 9 yrs old (approximately). Pulte plots are much bigger than the new standard Pacific, Richmond & Ryland construction. The area right behind Prospect Ridge is new construction.

And we don't really have that much partying in the driveways (except during battle of the blocks) :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver