Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,779 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Northglenn -- currently we're in Indiana. Any advice on areas to avoid? We are looking for housing around $250K, hopefully in a newer suburb. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Northglenn is a pretty old suburb, though there might be some new areas. You could meet your price there, I think.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 PM

260 posts, read 1,438,305 times
Perhaps you would want to check our the reunion development in commerce city.

Its pretty new and has some pretty nice amenities. Its north of the older commerce city and its actually got some views ... but still pretty convienient to lots of things.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I was driving around Northglen the other day (hadn't been in Northglen since '96) and I was shocked by how dumpy it seems. Thornton and Federal Heights too. I went into the grocery store and everyone seemed middle-aged to old, in wheelchairs, on oxygen or if they were young, looked like drugged losers. The other weird thing about this area is how slow it's seemed to develop. For instance, neighborhoods with small houses from the '60s, then a trailer park, then an open field, then a new apartment complex, another open field. And a lot of the strip malls have gone downhill with check cashing places, dollar stores, tattoo parlors, etc. This whole part of town just seems depressing to me.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:35 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,398 times
People have to live somewhere.. and for now the north metro, especially east of I-25, is cheap. But some areas would probably benefit from renewal programs.

Is there really anything wrong with having small houses from the 60s?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
People have to live somewhere.. and for now the north metro, especially east of I-25, is cheap. But some areas would probably benefit from renewal programs.

No. We need diversity in our housing stock.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
North Metro is pretty affordable, but I'd personally stay away from much of Adams county south of about 104th, down to the Denver line. (Although this doesn't apply to aforementioned Reunion and the other new subdivisions on the far side of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal) Jefferson County is good (that's to the west), and Adams County north of 104th is all right. The newer stuff in Adams County is around 136th.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post

There is nothing wrong with houses from the 1960's or 50's 0r 40's 0r 30's etc. These type of houses served a basic housing need and still serve that quite well.

It is curious that in these small houses, bigger families were raised, and in the bigger houses today, smaller families are raised.

Many people do not need big houses. Oh, they think they do because they want to keep up with everybody else. You do not have to keep up with your neighbors.

A small house requires less energy to heat, less land and serves the needs of those who need, who want a smaller property to maintain.

Today in many cities, people are returning to these small type bungalows and smaller houses in different eras. That is good that these smaller older homes are being maintained, remodeled and fine a use in a new generation.

A renewal program is not just about tearing it all down and putting up expensive housing for the new rich. It is also about giving incentives to people of modest income to upkeep and maintain the older smaller housing.

We are building many new large homes and we need to maintain smaller homes for diversified needs.

Livecontent

Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 PM

33 posts, read 70,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I went into the grocery store and everyone seemed middle-aged to old, in wheelchairs
What exactly bothers you about middle-aged or senior citizens? Maybe if and when you need a wheelchair or oxygen, you will see things differently.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,779 times
Thank you all for your input. We are looking at the area this weekend. We have no problem with the smaller, older areas, but are hoping to find newer housing simply because it is easier for upkeep. I am leaning towards Thornton or Broomfield, but we'll see. Any other insights would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver