Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 PM

71 posts, read 111,616 times

Advertisements

So the hubby and I just moved to Denver, with jobs downtown. So far we have rented a temp place for 6 months with hopes of buying in the spring.

Early 30's, no kids and do not want a big yard. Budget 450-600k, would like a new build or something new-ish.

We ruled out Golden, Evergreen, Genesse; mostly because of access and the possibility of fires.

Columbine, Littleton and Contennial are too far

Aurora is out, no explanation needed

Ruled out Stapleton... so it feels like we are running out of areas

We really like the townhouses around Sloan's Lake, but it seems crazy to spend 500-600k on a townhouse, when we can move out and have a pretty large house for that $$$.

Anyone know anything about the Green Mountain/ Coyote Gulch Park area? Seems to be a lot of new neighborhoods going up north of 8.

We also looked at Arvada, but were scared off by rumors of radioactive soil and parts of it being built over a land fill, is this true?

Y'all are the experts, would love any info

Many thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 PM

384 posts, read 507,882 times
I live in the general Green Mountain/Coyote Gulch Park area (we take the kids to play there). The new construction you mention, I presume you are talking about Solterra?

There also seems to be a lot of interest in the existing houses in the area also with some very quick sales that I am aware of.

Any particular questions on the area, maybe I can be more helpful if I know those.

Last edited by step33; 11-06-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 02:05 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
I'd suggest the southside. Parker, Highlands Ranch, Southeast Aurora

though I might be biased

Old 11-06-2014, 02:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Why did you rule out Stapleton?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Yes, I believe the neighborhood is call Solterra. I haven't been over that way yet, I wasn't sure is it was an over priced neighborhood that backs up to the highway. We would also be interested in a bit of a fixer, not a major overhaul, but were are open to a bath/kitchen remodel if we liked the house.

Is the commute to downtown bad from that area?

Is it a good area at all or just some open cheap land some developer started slapping up houses on?

The Arvada nice or are parts of it really built on a landfill?

Just general info

Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Stapleton was ruled out because of the surrounding areas were less than desirable...were we too quit in our judgement, is it worth another look?

I guess the same could be said about the Sloan Lake area/Edgewater area, were most of the townhouse communities that we are interested in are going up...

Old 11-06-2014, 02:29 PM

384 posts, read 507,882 times
Is Solterra overpriced - depends on who you ask. I think it's a little high considering how small the yards are, but the houses themselves are very nice (some EXTREMELY so - thus their big price tags).

The highway - and the dragstrip bother some more than others - neither bother me and I'm right next to Solterra.

The builder isn't just slapping these up. They've been moving dirt for a LONG time to get those houses up and now are finishing up another phase. (And moving more dirt for the next phase) I can simply say our friends that bought there are happy, and construction continues at a rapid pace. But, I highly recommend coming out and just driving around - see if its an area that appeals to you.

The older houses are nice and again it's mixed. Some $320k up to $600k depending on what part of the hill.

Commute to downtown isn't bad, but 6 can be TERRIBLE at times. When it's not terrible, it's less than 30minutes to most of downtown.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,870 times
https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/80238...&market=denver

Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesunder View Post
Aurora is out, no explanation needed
Aurora stigmas never die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I'd suggest the southside. Parker, Highlands Ranch, Southeast Aurora

though I might be biased
Southeast Aurora is a lot more like Parker than the northern and central parts of Aurora. That being said, if you're working downtown the commute would be a pain in the rear unless you're willing to throw money away and drive E-470 every day.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesunder View Post
Yes, I believe the neighborhood is call Solterra. I haven't been over that way yet, I wasn't sure is it was an over priced neighborhood that backs up to the highway. We would also be interested in a bit of a fixer, not a major overhaul, but were are open to a bath/kitchen remodel if we liked the house.

Is the commute to downtown bad from that area?

Is it a good area at all or just some open cheap land some developer started slapping up houses on?

The Arvada nice or are parts of it really built on a landfill?

Just general info
I know if no parts of Arvada built on landfills. I never even heard that issue brought up by anyone. Where did you get that idea? I have lived in Arvada for over 33 years.

Arvada has many different areas to live from the older areas to the east and to newer areas of the west.

I do no like so much the newer areas in the Northwest like Solterra. It is just too far from services and Downtown. There are so many nice homes in well established neighborhoods of Arvada and some are new infilled developments. Many are hidden and not so apparent to newcomers. Go down Oberon and Kipling to get some ideas and Go West on 80th and West 72nd. You will be able to look over the great neihborhoods of the Ralston Valley.

I think Wheat Ridge is a fantastic area to live with many infill upscale new homes. Yet, the best area that newcomers overlook in the Applewood area of where Wheat Ridge, Golden and Lakewood come together centered on Youngfield. Just drive west on West 32nd. passed Kipling and go south on Simms--you will be amazed. Be sure to explore the side streets for fantastic homes.

If you are smart considering the excellent public transit to downtown.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-06-2014 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver