U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:30 PM

660 posts, read 807,184 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice regarding the Triangle.

Luckily I'm not looking for a house -- I want to simplify and so I just want a studio or 1-BR, preferably not in a complex.

I was down there for a week in October and know I can get what I want in a good area for my budget -- so I'm happy!

After living in the 3rd poorest city in the US for 7 years, Durham's "crime" doesn't even phase me. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharkonnen View Post
Rent is certainly cheaper in the Raleigh/Durham area. Unfortunately, rents have been rising due to an influx of people in the area. From what I hear from friends (lived in the area several years), there aren't a lot of single family homes for rent at the decent rates you used to see years ago (probably a minimum of 1k/month for a non-dumpy place). Only natural.

The best rates on SFHs will be found in downtown Durham & some n'hoods close to downtown Raleigh (personally I prefer Durham, but some are skittish due to crime). As for an apartment you will be fine in that range for a 1bed anywhere, just look into reviews as some complexes are known for their massive roach populations (you get what you pay for!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 04:13 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I'm currently living in Buffalo, NY (where I moved to in 2008 for a job as an Assistant Professor), though I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and lived in Seattle, Washington for 13 years (1995-2008), which I loved (except for the endless gray skies). I'm currently weighing relocation options; preferably to an area with more sunshine than Western New York (and I know Denver is very sunny) and milder Winters. After extensive research (and a visit), I'm almost sure I'll make the move to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of North Carolina; hot Summers (which I like), short and mild Winters (the area averages about 6" of snow annually, though does get ice storms), and a solid economy, plus affordability (you can get a nice 1-BR apartment for between $700-800/month very near the urban core - by car).

My good friend is trying to talk me into moving to Denver instead. I'm sure I would like many things about it (I've visited, but only for a day) since it's a larger metro area with access to amazing outdoor activities (both important to me). The thing I question is how well I'd fare weather wise? I read that the Denver area averages about 50" of snow a year, and gets pretty cold; though technically Buffalo receives about 90" of snow annually, the city itself gets much less (maybe 48-50") since much of it stays South of the city itself. It does get VERY cold though, especially given the wind and weather that come in from Lake Erie.

So . . .

1.)My friend's family in Denver claims that Winter (in the city of Denver itself) isn't as bad as my reading seems to make it sound. Is that true? What is it really like? It there a lot of sunshine too?

2.) What is the cost of living like? Could I live downtown or close to it for that same $700-800/month? If not, is there reliable public transportation that could take me around (I have a car, but prefer to use mass transit or walk if at all possible)?

Thanks for any input you can provide. And yes, I have looked at Craigslist and the forums here, but wanted to ask my own questions based on my own context/wants. :-)

P.S. - I am currently teaching online for Colorado State University's Global Campus if that matters.
1.) Your friend's family is correct. Denver is not as bad in real life as on paper. IRL, it's usually warm (40s/50s) and sunny in January.
March is Colorado's Snowiest Month Along the Front Range - Skyview Weather

2.) There are many COL calculators on the web. You'd be hard put to find an apt. for $700-800/mo. More like $100-$1200. Mass transit has already been addressed.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:43 PM

13,953 posts, read 20,207,715 times
I lived in Lewiston, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for 4 years.
There is no "real" Winter in Denver compared with greater Buffalo.

What sets Denver apart from many other cities is the cost of rent and house prices. Much higher.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,935,380 times
When seeing the much higher rent, keep in mind that the taxes are lower out here. You may save quite a bit which would at least reduce the impact. If you were going to be buying a house long term, the lower value of property taxes would make it a much more compelling case to live in Colorado. I tend to suggest people leave NY whenever possible, but I think you have two very solid options.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Taxes and Death

Good perspective!

One of the issues I have with living in New York State are the HIGH taxes; income, sales and property - they get you at all levels.

I don't foresee buying a home anytime soon due to having a "student loan mortgage", but I paid $4,000 in state income taxes here last year alone, which I think is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
When seeing the much higher rent, keep in mind that the taxes are lower out here. You may save quite a bit which would at least reduce the impact. If you were going to be buying a house long term, the lower value of property taxes would make it a much more compelling case to live in Colorado. I tend to suggest people leave NY whenever possible, but I think you have two very solid options.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:28 AM

13,953 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default CO State Taxes

Quote:
I paid $4,000 in state income taxes
Our Federal AGI was $71K
Our Colorado taxes were $2.3K
YMMV

Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM

695 posts, read 802,206 times
Buffalo/Denver:

Both hockey teams suck (GO LEAFS GO)

The Buffalo Chophouse is much better than any steakhouse here

Drive 90 miles and be in the NYC of Canada (Toronto)

Buffalo Bills hopefully will get their new stadium on the river with easy access - We'e stuck with Sports Authority which on game day is boxed in with traffic

Denver has a more varied concert and arts scene than Buffalo (hence the drive to Toronto)

You have Buffalo Wings - We have Rocky Mountain Oysters

You have a great Italian neighborhood - our long standing, great Italian neighborhood has since been taken over and it's called "The Highlands"

Our downtown is better

Your crime rate is higher

Your home prices are way lower

You have William Mattar - We have Franklin Azar

Have only been to North Carolina a few times. Would never live there.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:44 AM

Decent! Similar to my AGI -- but lower state taxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our Federal AGI was $71K
Our Colorado taxes were $2.3K
YMMV

Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM

LOL!

I don't care about hockey - or any sports actually. :-)

Been to the Chophouse - it was OK - overpriced. Had MUCH better in Seattle and NYC and Philly (and in Buffalo too actually).

Toronto is great - but expensive and cold. Been there plenty (and it's 2.5 hours away in traffic).

I don't care about the Bills - nor financing a new stadium - which this region cannot afford.

I want to live somewhere where I don't have to drive 2 hours to see great concerts; I can be in Raleigh from Durham in 30 minutes (and were I to stay in Buffalo, the First Niagara Center gets many big name acts, as does the massive University of Buffalo).

I would miss REAL Buffalo Wings - though I don't eat them too often.

Our Italian Neighborhood is kinda sad, actually -- not really much there. Some good food, yes.

I've been to the beach in NC and loved it, and just spent a week in Durham/Chapel Hill and loved it.

the Buffalo metro get's 90" of snow a year, Denver metro 50" -- Raleigh metro 6". :-)

I never really intended to compare Buffalo to Denver -- because I am not planning to stay here (7 years has been more than enough).

As far as your downtown, our crime rate and home prices -- cannot argue at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Buffalo/Denver:

Both hockey teams suck (GO LEAFS GO)

The Buffalo Chophouse is much better than any steakhouse here

Drive 90 miles and be in the NYC of Canada (Toronto)

Buffalo Bills hopefully will get their new stadium on the river with easy access - We'e stuck with Sports Authority which on game day is boxed in with traffic

Denver has a more varied concert and arts scene than Buffalo (hence the drive to Toronto)

You have Buffalo Wings - We have Rocky Mountain Oysters

You have a great Italian neighborhood - our long standing, great Italian neighborhood has since been taken over and it's called "The Highlands"

Our downtown is better

Your crime rate is higher

Your home prices are way lower

You have William Mattar - We have Franklin Azar

Have only been to North Carolina a few times. Would never live there.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:20 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,514,698 times
Quote:
LOL!

I don't care about hockey - or any sports actually. :-)

Been to the Chophouse - it was OK - overpriced. Had MUCH better in Seattle and NYC and Philly (and in Buffalo too actually).

Toronto is great - but expensive and cold. Been there plenty (and it's 2.5 hours away in traffic).

I don't care about the Bills - nor financing a new stadium - which this region cannot afford.

I want to live somewhere where I don't have to drive 2 hours to see great concerts; I can be in Raleigh from Durham in 30 minutes (and were I to stay in Buffalo, the First Niagara Center gets many big name acts, as does the massive University of Buffalo).

I would miss REAL Buffalo Wings - though I don't eat them too often.

Our Italian Neighborhood is kinda sad, actually -- not really much there. Some good food, yes.

I've been to the beach in NC and loved it, and just spent a week in Durham/Chapel Hill and loved it.

the Buffalo metro get's 90" of snow a year, Denver metro 50" -- Raleigh metro 6". :-)

I never really intended to compare Buffalo to Denver -- because I am not planning to stay here (7 years has been more than enough).

As far as your downtown, our crime rate and home prices -- cannot argue at all.
I would have said the same about Football. The obsession of Buffalo to build a football stadium when the area is dying and in such poverty is ridiculous but that says something about that area's mentality. I do not care about sports and the frivolities of the fanatics but Denver can at least afford the expenditure. I can remember old War Memorial Stadium and then the ridiculous building of the stadium in Orchard Park.

Denver was much smarter. Mile Hi Stadium and Coors Field are well located and are easily reached by public transit. Coors Field created a great renewal of the area near Downtown and now areas around Mile Hi Stadium are seeing the birth of renaissance.

Buffalo better get use to Toronto because when it is possible, money will rule and the Bills will move to Toronto or perhaps Las Vegas--regardless of the promises to the drooling fans. Football has been and always will be about money and a larger market will give the owners more bang for their investment.

I am of Sicilian Italian decent and Buffalo's Italian neighborhood was dead even when I was growing up in the 50s. Keep in mind that many ethnics moved out to the suburbs and the Italians were on the West side along Lake Erie, so the there was no where to go but disbursed. As such, the Polish on the East side of Buffalo went east to Cheektowaga. Here in Denver, many Italians move to west to Wheat Ridge and Arvada. The Sons of Italy Hall is in Wheat Ridge, so we still have some Italian aspects in the suburbs.

Denver city neighborhoods are thriving with influx of money and investments--many Buffalo neighborhoods are falling further into decay. Also, since Denver is thriving, it takes along the contiguous older suburbs into renewal and growth. That certainly cannot be said about Cheektowaga bordering the ghettos of East Buffalo.

Buffalo Wings is a simple bar preparation that are easily replicated all over the country. Buffalo has nothing so unique about this product than cannot be found here.

I also think the Chophouse is not that great and overpriced. There are many fine restaurants in this area. Buffalo did not and does not have the food quality that it often touted. I am a Graduate of the CIA in Hyde Park and that is my assessment. Denver has much better quality and now more expansive cuisine because this area is attracting the best and the brightest while Buffalo is well, still just Buffalo.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-08-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or