U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:53 PM

546 posts, read 1,485,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Incidentally, none of my tickets have come from the cameras, all of them were from those Photo Enforcement vans that always seem to position themselves in places for maximum infraction potential (i.e., spots where the speed limit changes/lowers, often with no obvious reason why). School zones are a different story. I definitely support them there.
Wow, we have these!! Something else to watch out for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 PM

655 posts, read 1,804,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I ran through a red light near Centennial airport.
I go through that light everyday and thought/remembered it had longer yellow light before changing to red but maybe they changed the timing.
The big question is where was this camera? I'm not aware of any red light cameras by Centennial Airport (unless you're counting the one at Arapahoe & Yosemite as near Centennial Airport). The City of Centennial doesn't operate any.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:31 AM

1,149 posts, read 983,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
The big question is where was this camera? I'm not aware of any red light cameras by Centennial Airport (unless you're counting the one at Arapahoe & Yosemite as near Centennial Airport). The City of Centennial doesn't operate any.
Red light camera doesn't mean it has to have flash lights.
Almost all intersections have cameras on top pointing down in all directions.

Something like this:

It's in the intersection of Lima and Ester.
As you can see in the google street view, it has cameras on top of all 4 lights:

My wife got a ticket on left turn few years ago and the video and screenshots were from cameras like the one above, not the big red light camera on the side.
She was behind a truck and didn't see the green arrow has changed when the truck made the turn.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic light... yellow light timing rule in Centennial-lima-ester.jpg  

Last edited by Mystery123; 11-11-2014 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
Keep in mind that many of the cameras that you see are NOT for identifying violations. Some of the previous posts do not understand this issue and some pictures posted clearly indicated cameras for signal control. Many are for traffic flow, change light timing and to identify that a car is waiting for a signal change such as a left turn arrow.

We have had problems with this system near my home and many times it would fail to initiate a left turn signal. I contacted CDOT and they told me that there are some problems with the technology at this location. They were planning to put a road pressure plate to indicate a car waiting when they rebuilt the intersection.

This link gives you some information
Video Cameras at Signalized Intersections

Other than that, stop trying to jump the light and relax. There are too many going through lights. You try to justify your behavior with all this technical baloney on the law but we know that many have no patience or concern for others. These cameras are there to catch these dangerous drivers and I fully support the implementation and the citations necessary.

Livecontent

Old 11-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Red light camera doesn't mean it has to have flash lights.
Almost all intersections have cameras on top pointing down in all directions.

Something like this:

It's in the intersection of Lima and Ester.
As you can see in the google street view, it has cameras on top of all 4 lights:

My wife got a ticket on left turn few years ago and the video and screenshots were from cameras like the one above, not the big red light camera on the side.
She was behind a truck and didn't see the green arrow has changed when the truck made the turn.
A few things - Lima & Easter is actually outside city limits and it is in unincorporated Arapahoe County. It doesn't matter though since neither Arapahoe County or Centennial does Red Light Photo enforcement.

Where was your wife's ticket?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM

1,149 posts, read 983,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
A few things - Lima & Easter is actually outside city limits and it is in unincorporated Arapahoe County. It doesn't matter though since neither Arapahoe County or Centennial does Red Light Photo enforcement.

Where was your wife's ticket?
Her's was in Fort Worth, TX before we moved here but with similar cameras like those on top of lights.
There was no flash, no side camera etc...

Neither Arapahoe County or Centennial does Red Light Photo enforcement?
That's a very good news.
But what are they there for then?

Last edited by Mystery123; 11-11-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Her's was in Fort Worth, TX before we moved here but with similar cameras like those on top of lights.
There was no flash, no side camera etc...

Neither Arapahoe County or Centennial does Red Light Photo enforcement?
That's a very good news.
But what are they there for then?
Well - not unincorporated Arapahoe County. Some cities in Arapahoe County have them As Livecontent said they can be used for monitoring traffic for changing lights, accident investigation and other reasons. In Colorado there has to be a sign announcing the red light photo enforcement a certain distance before the intersection (maybe 1/2 block?).

The most frustrating to me is the intersections where you can begin your left turn (enter the intersection) while the arrow is green and not be able to complete it before it turns to red. Fortunately the red light cameras seem to only trip if you cross the white line after the light has turned red rather than tripping if you haven't exited the intersection before it turns red.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 8,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Nope.

Colorado traffic code allows you to enter an intersection on the Yellow, but you must be clear of the intersection when the light turns Red or you have "run" the red light.

If the intersection has an appropriately timed yellow light, then when it turns yellow and you have appropriate time/distance to stop, you are expected to do so in response to the warning that the light is about to change to red.

If you are very close and to the intersection and it is not reasonably possible to stop before entering at or below the posted speed limit and you continue through, you should be clear of the intersection before the light turns red.

Nope.

https://www.codot.gov/business/rules...affic_Code.pdf

Scroll to Part 6, Section 604 (page 45):

a) Green indication: (I) Vehicular traffic facing a circular green signal may proceed straight through or turn right or left unless a sign at such place prohibits such turn; but vehicular traffic, including vehicles turning right or left, shall yield the right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection and to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk at the time such signal is exhibited.

(b) Steady yellow indication:
(I) Vehicular traffic facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter.

(c) Steady red indication:
(I) Vehicular traffic facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line but, if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown...

A yellow light is only a warning that a red light is coming. There is no prohibition on entering an intersection while the light is yellow, and nothing saying you must clear it before the light turns red. There is a reason that signals stay red in all directions for a few seconds...that is to clear the intersection.

Also see Running Red Lights and Stop Signs in Colorado | DrivingLaws.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver