U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 PM

77 posts, read 95,986 times

Advertisements

A new Morningstar community will be going into the redeveloped plaza at 38th and Kipling along with the Sprouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM

695 posts, read 801,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Thank You for this information. Now, that know that you grew up in NYC, your opinion matters much to me about Italian Food. I believe this restaurant was in the old Arvada plaza and was displaced with the property being redeveloped for a Walmart. I wanted to try it but everytime I went, there were lines waiting.

Wheat Ridge is home to many small independent restaurants and many Italian. North Denver was were many Italians settled. As it happens, as immigrants prosperity improves, they and subsequent generations move to the suburbs. What initially happens. they tend to move in a direct line out to the contiguous suburbs. Consequently, many ethnic Italians found a home in Wheat Ridge; so much so that the Sons of Italy Hall that was built in the 1950s is in Wheat Ridge on West 32nd. Just a little bit of knowledge for newcomers!

Livecontent
Mama Sanninos was started by former employees of Three Sons. The latter was originally a great Italian restaurant on 44/Tennyson around the corner from the Oriental Theater. It then moved to 47/Federal for several years. It is now out in West Arvada. Have never been to the west Arvada location. The concept at the other locations was like eating a Sunday Italian dinner complete with an olive tray, something very difficult to find at any restaurant.

As you mentioned, North Denver was once a great Italian neighborhood. You can still see some of the remaining Italians if you go to Gaetano's for lunch or Sunday mass at Our Lady of Mount Carmel (35/Navajo). Read North Side Story, by Phil Goodstein.

Patsy's Italian Restaurant is at 3651 Navajo. It has a great atmosphere, but in my opinion, the food could be better. However, that's only my thoughts.

Carl's Italian Restaurant on 3800 West 38 Street is really good and the pictures on the wall are worth a thousand memories.

There is a new Italian restaurant out in East Aurora entitled Holy Cannolli. The owners are from the Italian section of St. Louis ("The Hill"). The food is incredible. The deserts straight out of Little Italy in the Bronx.

For Italian pasteries, you need to go to Dolce Sicilia at 32/Wadsworth. My favorite. Also, Vincenza's at 8000 W 44th Ave.

Mangia!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:00 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Mama Sanninos was started by former employees of Three Sons. The latter was originally a great Italian restaurant on 44/Tennyson around the corner from the Oriental Theater. It then moved to 47/Federal for several years. It is now out in West Arvada. Have never been to the west Arvada location. The concept at the other locations was like eating a Sunday Italian dinner complete with an olive tray, something very difficult to find at any restaurant.

As you mentioned, North Denver was once a great Italian neighborhood. You can still see some of the remaining Italians if you go to Gaetano's for lunch or Sunday mass at Our Lady of Mount Carmel (35/Navajo). Read North Side Story, by Phil Goodstein.

Patsy's Italian Restaurant is at 3651 Navajo. It has a great atmosphere, but in my opinion, the food could be better. However, that's only my thoughts.

Carl's Italian Restaurant on 3800 West 38 Street is really good and the pictures on the wall are worth a thousand memories.

There is a new Italian restaurant out in East Aurora entitled Holy Cannolli. The owners are from the Italian section of St. Louis ("The Hill"). The food is incredible. The deserts straight out of Little Italy in the Bronx.

For Italian pasteries, you need to go to Dolce Sicilia at 32/Wadsworth. My favorite. Also, Vincenza's at 8000 W 44th Ave.

Mangia!
Thank You,

I do know all these restaurants. I was to Three Sons in North Denver at both locations. The restaurant was sold and they moved it to West Arvada. I had no idea what they thought they were doing as they bought the goodwill with the name then they moved it so far west it did them no good. I had a house right near by and the food is not the same and overpriced.

I have been to Carl's many times and often to Dolce Sicilia; slobbering on my way home, eating a cannoli in the car! Vincenza's is also one my favorite haunts.

Since you are from the Bronx, Patsy's has to remind you of many spot in NYC--ya know the places that make you feel you are back in the past, ready to duck down under the table when the bullets fly.

I can also remember Cugino's and Valenti's which was very popular.

I have not been to Gaetano's for years. It changed hands to the Hickenlooper's organization then was resold again. I first went to Gaetano's when I came to Denver about 36 years ago. I was admiring the Frank Sinatra display; I started talking; my New Yawk accent was noticed and I was invited over to a table and I met some of the Smaldone Family. Latter I sold food and the wholesale Denargo Market and Pueblo were places I called on; met some other interesting Italians who were in the trade. Ah, that was many years ago.

I should mention that I am of Sicilian Ancestry and grew up in Queens and Buffalo; my father grew up in Brooklyn--Borough Park. I latter worked in Manhattan at the big named hotels--I graduated from the CIA in Hyde Park.

Ciao,

Livecontent

Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelvedere View Post
A new Morningstar community will be going into the redeveloped plaza at 38th and Kipling along with the Sprouts.
I past it today. It is a good location as it is right near the Wheat Ridge Recreation Center which sits adjacent to the Clear Creek Trail. Also, there is a new park across the street on Kipling.

Livecontent

Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,185,940 times
Quote:
Thank You,

I do know all these restaurants. I was to Three Sons in North Denver at both locations. The restaurant was sold and they moved it to West Arvada. I had no idea what they thought they were doing as they bought the goodwill with the name then they moved it so far west it did them no good. I had a house right near by and the food is not the same and overpriced.

I have been to Carl's many times and often to Dolce Sicilia; slobbering on my way home, eating a cannoli in the car! Vincenza's is also one my favorite haunts.

Since you are from the Bronx, Patsy's has to remind you of many spot in NYC--ya know the places that make you feel you are back in the past, ready to duck down under the table when the bullets fly.

I have not been to Gaetano's for years. It changed hands to the Hickenlooper's organization then was resold again. I first went to Gaetano's when I came to Denver about 36 years ago. I was admiring the Frank Sinatra display; I started talking; my New Yawk accent was noticed and I was invited over to a table and I met some of the Smaldone Family. Latter I sold food and the wholesale Denargo Market and Pueblo were places I called on; met some other interesting Italians who were in the trade. Ah, that was many years ago.

I should mention that I am of Sicilian Ancestry and grew up in Queens and Buffalo; my father grew up in Brooklyn--Borough Park. I latter worked in Manhattan at the big named hotels--I graduated from the CIA in Hyde Park.

Ciao,

Livecontent
CIA, would that be the Central Intelligence Agency? or Culinary Institute of America? Just curious.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:31 AM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
CIA, would that be the Central Intelligence Agency? or Culinary Institute of America? Just curious.
Either way, he has to kill you if he tells you.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Thank You,

Ciao,

Livecontent
Patsy's does remind me of Louie's restaurant in the Bronx. Louie's was the location of filming where Michael killed the underworld boss and the corrupt cop in the Godfather. One of my high school (Mount Saint Michael Academy) buddies was Tony Ribustello. His family owned Ribustello's Funeral Home on Morris Park Avenue in the Bronx. They did all the mob funerals in that place.

I never met any of the Smaldones. There is a excellent book written by former Denver Post writer Dick Kreck entitled "Smaldone - The Untold Story of an American Crime Family." I picked up mine at the Tattered Cover a few years ago. When I was a cop in Aravada in the 80's, I let it be known that I hung out at Gaetano's. One of the "brass" told me to stop going there. I told him to "f*&k off."

I loved that mural of Sinatra that was behind the bar. They should have left it there. However, the men's bathroom in the new place is definitely old world and I love the Denver PD poster with all the mug shots that is hanging in the bathroom.

You are probably familiar with Lombardi Brothers Meats; an old North Denver business.

I have been to Buffalo many times. They have an incredible Italian neighborhood. One of my favorite Italian restaurants in Queens was "Villa Bianca." It used to be on Northern Boulevard.

Johnny D

Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 AM

305 posts, read 319,979 times
Dont need CO becoming the FL of the west, dont need a flock of old people... wait, it snows, hard, in Denver, old peoples worst enemy.
Dont worry guys youre safe.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Actually I did both. My service in the Army was in Military Intelligence (Ya, I know the joke--a drum roll for George Carlin!) and the Culinary Institute. It is interesting there were subjects I could not disclose about my Army work and also there were stories about my cooking I could not disclose.

In NYC, we did catered dinners for the high and mighty of the world: the leaders of countries, well known celebrity, extremely wealthy folks, bankers and investors, corporate meetings--some of these meetings, events, dinners, parties and trysts required non-disclosure agreements. It would not have been wise to let the world know which country's leader were plotting with who; who was at certain parties; what meetings would effect the financial markets and of course what was the private lives of celebrities with their sexual encounters.

So, yes I would have to kill you if I told you; or worse for me with some events for the "wise guys"--I would end up in cement, deep in the East River.

Livecontent

Old 11-20-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
So, yes I would have to kill you if I told you; or worse for me with some events for the "wise guys"--I would end up in cement, deep in the East River.

Livecontent
South Platte River is the new dumping ground these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or