Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 PM

556 posts, read 762,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I took a huge gamble moving out here, and it hasn't panned out so far. **** happens and I am not going to bash a place because of my misfortune to this point. I am only pointing out the way that I see things out here. I am really torn by this place.

-The weather is better than the Midwest, but it isn't paradise like coastal southern and central California or Hawaii.
-The mountains are beautiful, but I am beginning to not like being land locked.
-There is a lot of outdoor recreation, but it is quite a drive and or overcrowded. In the winter the mountains are useless for us non-skiers/snowboards.
-The unemployment stats are misleading. The economy appears to be strong, but the only high paying and abundant jobs are in technology. Every other sector is extremely competitive and or low paying (<$40k). Most of the jobs are low paying (<$15 per hour) hourly jobs. These wages would be fine in Texas or other areas of the South where housing isn't an arm and a leg, but it isn't enough out here.
-Home prices are reaching West Coast/Northeast prices and rent is not far behind.
-The drivers here are terrible. Most drivers are passive and lackadaisical. Most people drive like they are stoned.
-I love the natural beauty, but making a living here is difficult. I don't hate it, but I am ready to move on if things don't get better soon. It is economic, not personal.

I have come to terms with the fact that more than likely I will be forced to work in retail and will be heading back to Chicago once my lease is up. If my car didn't crap out on me, I could probably string it out another 6-9 months after my first lease with a full time and a part time job or two-three part time jobs, but I have too many expenses and there is no point living here if I cannot enjoy the outdoors. Moving back used to bother me, but I know back in Chicagoland I have a much better chance for a career in logistics with pay that is better than out here, and I can save money by living with friends or a family member until I get a job.

To be 100% honest if I could go back in time I would have stayed in Chicago and taken a lot of trips out here, or I would have signed a 6 or 9 month lease.
My wife and I have been talking about moving to Denver for 5 years now and I feel that the move will most likely happen in the next 18 months. As a result I find this post and thread rather interesting.

A part of me is slightly concerned by the comments people are making, but the other part of me is slightly amused. I suppose it all depends on where you moved to Denver from. I would be coming from LA so the talk of awful traffic is rather silly (no offense). I guess my desire is to move to provide a better life for my family which Denver seems like a better opportunity than LA, at least from a life satisfaction perspective. Can I make more money in LA? Without a doubt. Will I be happier? I highly doubt it.

Now, I might be wrong in this area, and of course lining up a job or simply just taking my existing job with me will be prerequisites, but I'd prefer to find something new in all honesty. However, I chuckle at the idea of housing costs be anywhere near west coast (at least LA or SF). I could buy three houses in Denver for a house with 1,000 less sq. ft. in an LA neighborhood that isn't crappy. So I guess it's all perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:49 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
My wife and I have been talking about moving to Denver for 5 years now and I feel that the move will most likely happen in the next 18 months. As a result I find this post and thread rather interesting.

A part of me is slightly concerned by the comments people are making, but the other part of me is slightly amused. I suppose it all depends on where you moved to Denver from. I would be coming from LA so the talk of awful traffic is rather silly (no offense). I guess my desire is to move to provide a better life for my family which Denver seems like a better opportunity than LA, at least from a life satisfaction perspective. Can I make more money in LA? Without a doubt. Will I be happier? I highly doubt it.

Now, I might be wrong in this area, and of course lining up a job or simply just taking my existing job with me will be prerequisites, but I'd prefer to find something new in all honesty. However, I chuckle at the idea of housing costs be anywhere near west coast (at least LA or SF). I could buy three houses in Denver for a house with 1,000 less sq. ft. in an LA neighborhood that isn't crappy. So I guess it's all perspective.
One of my good friends moved here from Sherman Oaks not too long ago. He has been very happy with the move.

He says the quality is of life is much better.

Real estate, while cheaper than LA, is more expensive than he expected in the desirable city neighborhoods. Example: the 4300 sq/ft lot with an old house on it next door to me was just purchased for $510K by a builder and the house is being completely torn down any day now. The new 3,000 sq/ft house that is going up has already been sold for $1.38M.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:57 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I took a huge gamble moving out here, and it hasn't panned out so far. **** happens and I am not going to bash a place because of my misfortune to this point. I am only pointing out the way that I see things out here. I am really torn by this place.

-The weather is better than the Midwest, but it isn't paradise like coastal southern and central California or Hawaii.
-The mountains are beautiful, but I am beginning to not like being land locked.
-There is a lot of outdoor recreation, but it is quite a drive and or overcrowded. In the winter the mountains are useless for us non-skiers/snowboards.
-The unemployment stats are misleading. The economy appears to be strong, but the only high paying and abundant jobs are in technology. Every other sector is extremely competitive and or low paying (<$40k). Most of the jobs are low paying (<$15 per hour) hourly jobs. These wages would be fine in Texas or other areas of the South where housing isn't an arm and a leg, but it isn't enough out here.
-Home prices are reaching West Coast/Northeast prices and rent is not far behind.
-The drivers here are terrible. Most drivers are passive and lackadaisical. Most people drive like they are stoned.
-I love the natural beauty, but making a living here is difficult. I don't hate it, but I am ready to move on if things don't get better soon. It is economic, not personal.

I have come to terms with the fact that more than likely I will be forced to work in retail and will be heading back to Chicago once my lease is up. If my car didn't crap out on me, I could probably string it out another 6-9 months after my first lease with a full time and a part time job or two-three part time jobs, but I have too many expenses and there is no point living here if I cannot enjoy the outdoors. Moving back used to bother me, but I know back in Chicagoland I have a much better chance for a career in logistics with pay that is better than out here, and I can save money by living with friends or a family member until I get a job.

To be 100% honest if I could go back in time I would have stayed in Chicago and taken a lot of trips out here, or I would have signed a 6 or 9 month lease.
You have made some statements that I found just not a correct view of the area. First, you do not need to go to the mountains for recreation. There is more than ample outdoor recreation available in all the parks, trails, water, open space, nature preserves and recreational facilities in the cities, counties, state and federal resources in all around the municipalities and along the foothills.

They are within very close drive; you can walk or drive to many and much is available on public transit. You can easily find yourself on a trail that is surrounded by nature and there will be no one nearby as they are much less crowded. If you always want to go with the crowd--you will find a crowd; take the path less trodden and you will find a piece of the peace of nature.

Since, you do not ski or snowboard then you really do not have a need to fight the traffic on the highway to those places. Resources of are readily available nearby during the winter and while it may be a snowing blizzard up in the mountain, you will find it clear and warmer here on the plains.

You need to take the time and get out of your car; look around and you will see much.

So, you find the drivers here passive. Well, that statement would come from someone aggressive and too much in a hurry--perhaps you need to slow down and show some patience.

I am sorry you are upset by the wages and you do agree that the higher wages go to those who acquired skills and have technical education--you have given yourself the solution to your problem!

Livecontent

Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
One of my good friends moved here from Sherman Oaks not too long ago. He has been very happy with the move.

He says the quality is of life is much better.

Real estate, while cheaper than LA, is more expensive than he expected in the desirable city neighborhoods. Example: the 4300 sq/ft lot with an old house on it next door to me was just purchased for $510K by a builder and the house is being completely torn down any day now. The new 3,000 sq/ft house that is going up has already been sold for $1.38M.
We've been looking in the Highlands Ranch area where you can buy a very nice house for under $350,000. We don't really want anything more than 2,200 Sq. Ft. Since anything bigger just seems silly and ripe for filling it with useless "stuff". So in comparison to where I currently live, that same house is a million plus and 50 years older.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
We've been looking in the Highlands Ranch area where you can buy a very nice house for under $350,000. We don't really want anything more than 2,200 Sq. Ft. Since anything bigger just seems silly and ripe for filling it with useless "stuff". So in comparison to where I currently live, that same house is a million plus and 50 years older.
No doubt there are more expensive areas in LA and you can be much closer to the city center at the $350K price point in a safe suburban neighborhood. Just want to make sure you know that living in the city is not as cheap as some people think. Highlands Ranch is suburbia. If that's what you are after, you will be quite happy. My buddy wanted to be closer in to town and was a bit surprised.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
No doubt there are more expensive areas in LA and you can be much closer to the city center at the $350K price point in a safe suburban neighborhood. Just want to make sure you know that living in the city is not as cheap as some people think. Highlands Ranch is suburbia. If that's what you are after, you will be quite happy. My buddy wanted to be closer in to town and was a bit surprised.
I've grown up in the suburbs of LA and I have a family of my own now. I want nothing to do with a city center other than to visit it for sporting events from time to time. Give me soccer games on the weekends and trails to run/bike please

Old 11-26-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I've grown up in the suburbs of LA and I have a family of my own now. I want nothing to do with a city center other than to visit it for sporting events from time to time. Give me soccer games on the weekends and trails to run/bike please
Yeah I hear you, but the city neighborhoods are not quite what you're picturing. Plenty of soccer games, families, and trails. Just smaller lots and better restaurants.

In any case HR sounds like what you're after.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:

I moved here from Orange County and while the traffic in LA is definitely worse, it can be surprisingly awful in Denver. Part of it is poor freeway design, and many freeways have never been widened to keep up with population growth.

As far as houses go, we sold a 1000 sq. foot condo in OC and got a 2100 sq. ft. house in Denver for only a little more than we sold the condo for. But prices crashed a lot harder in OC and our house in Denver has gained value, so we could actually move back to our old neighborhood and buy a house today.

In metro Denver, houses are a lot cheaper the further out you go. We live in the city where they're pricier.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:06 PM

246 posts, read 649,831 times
Just moved from Hawaii (born & raised there) to Aurora area. I am coming from a place where the cost of living is rated 2.34 times higher than the national average and also above that of SF and NYC. Traffic is rated worst in the nation compared to LA (we flip flop depending on the poll taken). The average means cost of homes are around $650,000.

My observations:
Driving around Aurora reminds me of Las Vegas (I lived there for 1.5 years, a few years ago), large clusters of brand new or under construction housing next to huge open unbuilt land. Suburban sprawl around the city center with dependency on driving to get to stores.

Cost of living is way cheaper than Hawaii! Everything appears to be around 20~25% less on average.

As for traffic, everyone drives slow, to my surprise, wayyyyyyy slower than in Hawaii. I thought I'd have issues adjusting with the weather, luckily I have't driven in a snow storm. People complain about slow drivers everywhere but comparing Hawaii to Denver, Id say it makes sense, Honolulu is a bigger metropolitan city and navigating thru the crowd in Honolulu can be ridiculously stressful. Seems that Denver still has that small city pace which is what I hoped for (which would explain the slow driving, even in the fast lane), and the reason why I had to get out of Honolulu, its just too crowded there. I'm trading places with y'all mainlanders who moved to Hawaii and made it crowded, leaving big voids here for me to enjoy the open spread out space with my new Coloradoan neighbors!

For those that have issues with the development of Denver, put this into perspective. I had to move from Honolulu because traffic is as bad as LA. LA ok? We have a light rail being built but it runs from the boonies to town, ineffective of capturing the majority of riders just outside the central city area or the University.

If I last beyond a year here in Aurora, I'll be able to ride the east rail line which will be up around sometime in 2016 which will take me from near my apartment directly next to my office.

I chatted up with some locals at the DMV, they were down to earth and treated me like just another guy, no problem fitting in. Conversed with about 25 people in 3 days from apartment managers, to electricity/cable providers, many salespeople, bank mangers, and car rental salespeople and they all were nice. Although, I used my Aloha spirit (translation be nice and start with a smile) goes a long, long way.

So far positive all around, except horrible access to good Asian markets and goods (I'm Japanese Okinawan). The best markets here still have pretty limited stuff, Vegas actually had great quantity and quality of stuff. Guess not to many Asians except seemingly for the Vietnamese, many Vietnamese grocery and Pho restaurants. Guess I'll have to depend on family to USPS care packages regularly.

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 11-26-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 06:37 PM

117 posts, read 138,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
...I thought I'd have issues adjusting with the weather, luckily I have't driven in a snow storm. People complain about slow drivers everywhere but comparing Hawaii to Denver, Id say it makes sense, Honolulu is a bigger metropolitan city and navigating thru the crowd in Honolulu can be ridiculously stressful. Seems that Denver still has that small city pace which is what I hoped for (which would explain the slow driving, even in the fast lane), and the reason why I had to get out of Honolulu, its just too crowded there...
FYI, Denver is a MUCH, MUCH larger city than Honolulu...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver