U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,787,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Winter park is not to far away either, and its actually run by the city of Denver. There is the ski train that leaves from union station downtown and will take you up there and bring you back at the end of the day. It is definately a must for any ski trip
Except you have to pay for the train trip itself ($50 r/t). Coupled with lift ticket, it's not really that cheap, especially compared to the $50-odd you pay at Loveland.

I have heard that the train trip is very nice, although I've never done it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:56 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,124,283 times
For an out of towner, I think Winter Park offers the best combination of proximity to Denver, nearby lodging, and good skiing. Second choice would be Breckenridge, but it'll take you an extra half hour of driving and some extra money to go there over Winter Park. I skied Loveland and Eldora when I lived out there, but I would not consider either one if I was making the trek from the East Coast, even if it was just for a quick trip.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM

57 posts, read 242,796 times
how much does the ski train cost and how long does it take? i can't find the info on google...

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,232,366 times
Loveland is a great ski area, is quite convenient and has a very good (and patient) ski school program (I learned to ski there at 13). Georgetown has several small motels that are reasonable, but are frequently unavailable in bad weather. You will most certainly want to check this out before heading up.

The ski train is a wonderful idea for Winter Park and the best part is you won't have to drive! It can be pricey (when adding up per-person tickets), but the travel time and convenience are many times well worth spending a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolavanatta View Post
how much does the ski train cost and how long does it take? i can't find the info on google...
See this link - devoted to the Ski Train! All Aboard the Ski Train!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-09-2008 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 AM

676 posts, read 2,542,790 times
Another awsome thing is that you can hang out in the observation car during the trip and the views from there are just awesome. My family did it years ago when I was a kid and to this day I still remember that trip and the views from the train

Old 12-17-2009, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 10,518 times
this is our first time to denver! we want to fly in on a friday, 2 night stay and fly back on sunday. we are looking for a lodge environment that we can walk to the pubs and shops at night and ski in the day. we want something romantic, very cheap. we are looking for the best way to achieve a weekend ski trip for the novice...we will need to rent ski clothes, skiis , lifts and whatever else. we want to experience the total ambiance of the skiing and nite life! Does anyone have any suggestions. I can get airfare for 2 on southwest for $441.00 round trip...we are looking to go Feb 5th...please send your recommendations. this is the deal...we will set foot of the plane and have no idea where to do go and what to do...deer in headlights!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria ross View Post
this is our first time to denver! we want to fly in on a friday, 2 night stay and fly back on sunday. we are looking for a lodge environment that we can walk to the pubs and shops at night and ski in the day. we want something romantic, very cheap. we are looking for the best way to achieve a weekend ski trip for the novice...we will need to rent ski clothes, skiis , lifts and whatever else. we want to experience the total ambiance of the skiing and nite life! Does anyone have any suggestions. I can get airfare for 2 on southwest for $441.00 round trip...we are looking to go Feb 5th...please send your recommendations. this is the deal...we will set foot of the plane and have no idea where to do go and what to do...deer in headlights!
You might contact a travel agency that could put together a package for you. Some ski areas have buses that take people from the airport to the ski area. Might be good for you if you are unfamiliar with the area and also with driving in the mtns, possibly in snow. I have not heard of renting ski clothes, but I guess it's possible.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM

54 posts, read 178,068 times
In that case I would highly advise you go to winter park, it's the most "Colorado" ski area you will find with a short drive.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 PM

151 posts, read 356,794 times
I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian and give the thumbs down to Loveland. If you're really going to come all the way from Orlando to see Colorado ski country for the first time, at least go for a decent resort. Loveland's setting isn't so hot and the snow is below average.

Winter Park would be good, or go for one of the Summit County resorts...Copper Mountain or Keystone. Then you'll really get the full experience.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,395,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria ross View Post
Closest ski area with an excellent "never-ever" program, IMO, would be Loveland. You don't even need to go to the West slope side of the Eisenhower tunnel, so it's much closer than the comprehensive ski resorts.

You'll need to stay someplace else, though, and my choice for closest to the ski area would be Georgetown, just down the hill a bit from Loveland Ski area.
As it's not a resort town tied to a major ski resort, it's a lot less expensive ... an old mining town now more into tourism. It's got restaurants, bars, and some shopping all within walking distance of a number of modest accomodations.

Alternatively, you could head over the hill from Loveland and stay in the Dillon/Silverthorne area. Again, lots of lodging, and lots of choices for your evening's entertainment and dining. But this area is more "pricey" than Georgetown because it's close by a number of Summit County ski areas, and there's the free area bus service to places like Keystone (which wouldn't be a "never-ever" choice for me), or not too far from Copper Mountain.

But before you commit to trying to put your own package together, I'd suggest you contact the various ski resorts and see what you can get for a package deal. There's a lot of promotions going on this year and you may be able to get the whole thing ... lodging, lift tickets, gear, instruction ... for less money than you could do it yourself.

I spoke today with one of my tenants in Vail ... he's a lodge general manager ... and he said that the industry mood right now is to offer a lot of included items as inducements to get folks to come to ski this season. They've actually got more paid skier days this year than last year, but for a much lower price point. In short, they've had to do more for less money, and they're working harder than ever to keep the tourist trade happy. Who knows? you might even get a package with ground transportation up to a ski resort area along with the rest of your package, and not have to deal with a rental car or independent ground transportation to get to your destination.

FWIW, "cheap" is a relative term when it comes to having really nice accomodations within walking distance of all the things you want to do for your ski get away trip. You didn't mention your budget limits, but a few days for two can run into some serious money during ski season, even in the off-peak weeks.

Your weekend schedule is going to be pretty tight, timewise ... depending upon when you must get back to DIA for your return flight. Sunday can be a real bear to get back down the hill, depending upon road conditions and the traffic density heading East on I-70. What with returning rental gear, checking out of your lodgings, transport back to DIA ... you may not even be able to ski on Sunday, or for not more than an hour or so. Perhaps your only skiing will be on Saturday and you'll have the time for a nice Sunday leisurely breakfast and travels ....

I'm also going to be a little contrary here, FF ... it's way early in this ski season, and everybody's short of the snow conditions we'd like to see. Loveland is way ahead of Winter Park or Copper for lifts open and terrain to ski right now. For a "never-ever" or infrequent skiers ... the more difficult terrain that needs a lot more snow right now for base and cover isn't going to affect where they ski. They're headed for bunny slopes, not diamonds. And there's a lot of scenic vistas and gorgeous terrain at Loveland, too ... along with some pretty tough stuff if you're into the challenges that the major resorts have, too. Unless/until we see a lot more snow, it's anybody's guess where the "best" skiing will be in Colorado this season by Feb.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-17-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or