U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 PM

127 posts, read 271,740 times

Advertisements

I just looked up the ski train and it says it has been sold and is no longer running. Too bad because it looked like a great thing to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.rain View Post
I just looked up the ski train and it says it has been sold and is no longer running. Too bad because it looked like a great thing to do!
There is talk of reviving it, but probably not this season. It's fun, kind of a pain to go to downtown Denver to get the train, then drive back home in the evening, but still, fun.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 AM

229 posts, read 672,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria ross View Post
this is our first time to denver! we want to fly in on a friday, 2 night stay and fly back on sunday. we are looking for a lodge environment that we can walk to the pubs and shops at night and ski in the day. we want something romantic, very cheap. we are looking for the best way to achieve a weekend ski trip for the novice...we will need to rent ski clothes, skiis , lifts and whatever else. we want to experience the total ambiance of the skiing and nite life! Does anyone have any suggestions. I can get airfare for 2 on southwest for $441.00 round trip...we are looking to go Feb 5th...please send your recommendations. this is the deal...we will set foot of the plane and have no idea where to do go and what to do...deer in headlights!
Friday to Sunday is a real short stay to get from DIA to mountains and back. A flight delay or bad roads could destroy your vacation. A place like Salt Lake City may be easier for a trip like that if you can find airline deals into it.

For Colorado, one option is to find an acceptable place where you can cancel a reservation close to the last minute. Then, just before your trip, work sites like Priceline, last minute chamber of commerce sites (like Vailonsale.com), and search for last minute deals on expedia. That strategy works for me a lot. Last winter I stayed at a 4-star ski-in ski-out place by doing that and paid the same price I would've paid for the dumpier further out chain that I canceled last minute.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,838,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is talk of reviving it, but probably not this season. It's fun, kind of a pain to go to downtown Denver to get the train, then drive back home in the evening, but still, fun.
I recall seeing something on the news a few weeks ago saying it has been bought and revived, and will be running this winter.

Google is your friend:
All are aboard plan to revive Ski Train runs - The Denver Post

Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Well, cool! It is fun!

Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,024,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
Friday to Sunday is a real short stay to get from DIA to mountains and back. A flight delay or bad roads could destroy your vacation. A place like Salt Lake City may be easier for a trip like that if you can find airline deals into it.

For Colorado, one option is to find an acceptable place where you can cancel a reservation close to the last minute. Then, just before your trip, work sites like Priceline, last minute chamber of commerce sites (like Vailonsale.com), and search for last minute deals on expedia. That strategy works for me a lot. Last winter I stayed at a 4-star ski-in ski-out place by doing that and paid the same price I would've paid for the dumpier further out chain that I canceled last minute.
I have stayed at the Lodge Tower for $89 dollars a night through last min deals on Vailonsale.com, not a four star hotel, but the location can't be beat. Vail and Breckenridge are my two favorite front range options. This year bookings are down by as much as 30% down from last season so far, seems like this could be a banner year for those who wait till the last second.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:36 PM

20,916 posts, read 39,207,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I recall seeing something on the news a few weeks ago saying it has been bought and revived, and will be running this winter.

Google is your friend:
All are aboard plan to revive Ski Train runs - The Denver Post
Looks like it's going to start running on 27 Dec. Engines for the train were seen in Denver recently.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM

3,150 posts, read 7,259,322 times
Colorado Train Rio Grande Scenic Railroad - Rio Grande Scenic ski train

$34 round trip if you book early.

What I do not understand is why you can't travel on Friday and return on Sunday. They only sell round trip / same day tickets.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:20 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,056,995 times
I know it's a little off topic, but i was wondering if Denver had an equivalent to Colorado Springs Pikes Peak.

I ask because in May i came to Colorado with my brother and wanted to show him snow, but i knew only ski resorts, even though closed, would be the place that might still have them. Long story short, We went from planning to see Monarch to the much closer Pikes Peak. We stayed in Pueblo. Now that I'm moving to Lakewood in March, would there be a place to take family incase they visit in June or July. Even if the temps are just colder. We went to Pikes PEak May 16th and it was 80 at the base and 48įF w/snow on top.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM

2,591 posts, read 6,005,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Colorado Train Rio Grande Scenic Railroad - Rio Grande Scenic ski train

$34 round trip if you book early.

What I do not understand is why you can't travel on Friday and return on Sunday. They only sell round trip / same day tickets.
It looks like they will be offering travel and stay over options. From the page you linked (look on the right side of the page), they also sell train/lift ticket packages, and train/lodging packages.
Quote:
Slopeside Sleeper Package
$139 and up, per person(double occupancy)
SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICING. . .
Reserve before midnight December 24th, 2009
Call Winter Park Resort to book at 888-221-4575

Includes:

* Coach seat
* Lift Ticket
* Lodging

Ride the Ski Train from Denver to Winter Park, spend a night or more and enjoy a relaxing, scenic ride to Winter Park. Package includes round trip coach train and lodging. Lift tickets, lessons and equipment rentals also available as add-ons. Overnight packages valid for Ski Train departures beginning January 2, 2010. Ski Train operates Saturday and Sunday through March 28, 2010. Friday departures available starting February 5, Thursday departures begin February 18, 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or