U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 AM

695 posts, read 798,833 times

Advertisements

Been here for 33 yrs. I would definitely return home to NYC, but competition for jobs is fierce in the legal field. Would also move to Toronto, but would need a sponsor for work. Considered moving to Buffalo last year, but wasn't happy with the job offer, so I stayed here.

As long as I can avoid I-25 and I-70 during peak times, I'm pretty happy. Have a seculded place in the foothills, but within 45 minutes of Larimer Square, so it's not bad. Would like to see some hockey teams along the lines of QMJHL, OHL, and the WHL in the area, but I have to settle for the Original 6 and Canadian teams that stop in to play the losers at the Pepsi Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 PM

79 posts, read 82,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Climatologist: 30-Year Cold Spell Strikes Earth Might be that clobal cooling coming on.

where to begin {sigh} ....

- firstly every reputable scientist in the world believes in the figures that overall temps worldwide have been the highest in many decades - and are climbing

- NewsMax is not a reputable news site. It is the National Enquirer of news. It makes Readers Digest look like a PhD thesis.It is where press releases go to when they decide to give up and die. It is read and quoted only by those who know no better.

- John L. Casey, the scam artist quoted in the article, is not a climatologist. He studies math and physics as an undergrad and his Masters degree is actually in management . That is not a climatologist even though he plays on on the Web and has a web site (doesn't everybody?) that attempts to get you to to give him money to further his "research"

Old 11-20-2014, 01:19 PM

370 posts, read 393,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Climatologist: 30-Year Cold Spell Strikes Earth Might be that clobal cooling coming on.
Global Analysis - Annual 2013 | State of the Climate | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/servic...301-201312.gif

2013 was the 3rd warmest year on record. All of the top 10 have been since 1998 forward.

The map basically shows it was really cold in the Northestern US and parts of Europe last year. Everywhere else was average to warmer than normal.

And I trust NOAA way more than Ben Casey or anything that filthy propaganda rag Newsmax has to say about anything.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,872,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
I grew up in Mississippi. My first duty station in the Army was Fort Drum, in 'sunny' Upstate New York. Never saw snow like that in my life (before or since).
After my ETS date, I swore I'd never leave the South again.
So I moved to Colorado four years and about one week ago.
I've given up on trying to figure out how it all panned out.
My dad used to do his army physician training at Fort Drum. That place is the north pole, it never stops snowing up that way its ridiculous and its so long at night in upstate NY. Small world.. thats nuts.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 PM

13,213 posts, read 24,250,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
I've loved everything about it here from day one. But just this year, and just very recently, I feel that I'm kind of over it. One things for sure: I am not at all looking forward to the snow this winter, when in the past I would jot down in my journal the date of 'the first snow of the year.' I so looked forward to it!
I want to be able to run to the store without scraping my car, putting on socks (I live in flip flops), sliding around the roads, etc. I don't really mind the cold, it's mainly just the snow.
Maybe I've just outgrown it? I don't really know. And I don't know where I would go if I left. Grew up in Miami but I know that's a place I definitely don't want to be.
Anyone find themselves in the same predicament? What did you do/where did you go?
I've been here 7 years. So Cal native.

I still get excited about the snow, but am kind of just neutral about the extreme cold. I kind of just motor on through it, scraping/brushing the cars, driving/etc, none of it bothers me at all.

Last week when it was cold and snowed, it seemed to drag on longer than usual, and I could see how that could be trying for some people. The thing I hate about it is how short the days are. I'm not so sure I'd want it like that for weeks/months on end. I am PO'ed that my snow is just about gone, however.

Every time I think about another place I have to pinch myself and remember that basically everything I could ever want is right here. That just about everywhere else would be a downgrade for one reason or another.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,488,742 times
I grew up in NYC and Buffalo. Came up here from Texas, 36 years ago. Had much snow growing up and if that was not enough I had a job that took me to the Antarctic.

I like cold and snow but not as much as Buffalo. Cold is good because it helps to control insect populations where in the south, they continue to thrive all year. It also prevents many people from squatting in unheated abandoned buildings and on the street.

It is also nice to get away from outside yard work and just snuggle indoors for a few months. The world because much quieter as people slow down and stay indoors. It gives me the isolation that I sometimes prefer. Ah, I am speaking for myself but if my aching arthritic joints ruled--they would demand a warmer climate.

Severe cold is hard but it has one advantage, it cannot snow a great deal when it is way below freezing. Cold air cannot hold moisture as much as warmer air. I know this to be true as in the Antarctic there are places that are normally 50 plus degrees below zero and it rarely snows and some areas have not snowed for millions of years. However, there is wind blowing over the thick ice had all those many years to accumulate.

That is the problem when we start talking about the warming environment which may mean more snow. As in the case in Buffalo today, the cold air flowed too early over the still warm lake and picked up moisture. If the lakes start maintain higher temperatures much longer through the winter, then there will be much more of the blizzards we are now seeing.

Livecontent

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,941,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
I've loved everything about it here from day one. But just this year, and just very recently, I feel that I'm kind of over it. One things for sure: I am not at all looking forward to the snow this winter, when in the past I would jot down in my journal the date of 'the first snow of the year.' I so looked forward to it!
I want to be able to run to the store without scraping my car, putting on socks (I live in flip flops), sliding around the roads, etc. I don't really mind the cold, it's mainly just the snow.
Maybe I've just outgrown it? I don't really know. And I don't know where I would go if I left. Grew up in Miami but I know that's a place I definitely don't want to be.
Anyone find themselves in the same predicament? What did you do/where did you go?
I like the cold, and the snow it depends...more than 4 inches it messes everything up, less than an inch it becomes ice too easily.

As for you OP, Arizona (Phoenix metro or Tucson) or Gulf Coast of Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or