U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times

Advertisements

I'm in the camp that says our nation has too many stores.

Opening our nation to the global economy has stagnated incomes for the middle class who would be the shoppers for any mall.

Last time I was at the Outlets there were several vacancies; building more stores seems iffy for investors.

Traditional shopping malls continue to die out.

When many millions of dollars are invested in something like this we tend to think "they" know what they're doing, but the economic collapse of 2008-2009 showed the fallacy of that thinking....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:10 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Biggest gripe about Southglenn is the inconvenience of parking on Friday and Saturday nights. So I'm sure they designed this with an eye on having this not be an issue. Since there is no residential development a short walk away and no transit having it be a compact walkable space was probably the last thing on their minds.
Your statement is totally incorrect.

There is substantial public transit serving the Streets of Southglenn. There is a Transfer Stop location at Race and Davies just on that west border at Race and Davies This means all the buses coordinate times to this location for ease of transfer. The route buses are 0L, 24, 66 and 67. It is marked with a capital T in bold on the RTD system map.

Also, there is substantial residential housing right across the street on the west, the southeast and on the south. There are apartments, condos and single family homes. All this housing is very walkable to the shopping. In addition, there is the upscale expensive housing on the Streets of Southglenn Property.

You would not notice all this is all you do is drive to Southglenn. I know about the buses because I am a frequent public transit user and I am very familiar with the routes. I have taken been at the stop nearby and have walked to Southglenn. Also, housing has been around Southglenn Mall since the establishment of the mall and consequently exist with the redevelopment of Streets of Southglenn.

Livecontent

Old 11-21-2014, 11:12 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,061,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Opening our nation to the global economy has stagnated incomes for the middle class who would be the shoppers for any mall.

Last time I was at the Outlets there were several vacancies; building more stores seems iffy for investors.

When many millions of dollars are invested in something like this we tend to think "they" know what they're doing, but the economic collapse of 2008-2009 showed the fallacy of that thinking....
They filled in many of the vacancies and tore down the church to build some more retail. During the depths of recession it did look like a looming problem, but it has greatly turned around.

We could probably use fewer stores, but those outlets are packed just about every weekend. I think people from all over the Front Range consider them a reason to get out and go to Castle Rock.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,813,077 times
Yes the outlets have a LOT of vacancies. It seems like the entire north portion is vacant. This new shopping center will not be outlet stores from what I understand.

I believe I remember reading that CR is giving tax incentives to new businesses wanting to be a part of this. They will not give the incentives to businesses who already exist and who just want to move.

Castle Rock getting one of largest new malls in U.S.

Castle Rock OKs $24M incentive deal for $180M Promenade retail project - Denver Business Journal

I do have concerns for the traffic that this will bring, but I think this is why they are in the process of building the new overpass and connecting it to I25.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:18 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,061,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Your statement is totally incorrect.

There is substantial public transit serving the Streets of Southglenn. There is a Transfer Stop location at Race and Davies just on that west border at Race and Davies This means all the buses coordinate times to this location for ease of transfer. The route buses are 0L, 24, 66 and 67. It is marked with a capital T in bold on the RTD system map.

Also, there is substantial residential housing right across the street on the west, the southeast and on the south. There are apartments, condos and single family homes. All this housing is very walkable to the shopping. In addition, there is the upscale expensive housing on the Streets of Southglenn Property.

You would not notice all this is all you do is drive to Southglenn. I know about the buses because I am a frequent public transit user and I am very familiar with the routes. I have taken been at the stop nearby and have walked to Southglenn. Also, housing has been around Southglenn Mall since the establishment of the mall and consequently exist with the redevelopment of Streets of Southglenn.

Livecontent
What did I say that makes you think I don't know there us transit there? Parking still is distant on Friday nights. We are talking about Castle Rock where there is none of this.

Chill out, tired of you jumping on people after you have jumped to faulty conclusions.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I agree that we have too many stores but you are missing a big point. These malls that have failed are being converted to more upscale shopping, restaurants and housing. They are replete with high priced shops that catered not so much to the middle class but to the upper class that has money and wants to spend money. These developments become entertainment destinations just as the malls did in the past but very much more higher priced and upscale.

We have Villa Italia that become Belmar. I have spend time walking around and looking. It is also added to by the included big box stores that the article you have references took shopper away from the malls. It is includes upscale housing with residents that can afford to spend.

Southglenn Mall has become Streets of Southglenn. Again all upscale shops and restaurants.

The same has happened with the former mall in Boulder which includes now big boxes and smaller luxury stores.

Even malls that are now busy and trendy have included more upscale shopping and with the additional of walkable outdoor pedestrian streets. You can see that in the Flatirons Mall and the Park Meadows. Let us not forget the upscale Cherry Creek Mall.

Northglenn Mall has become a site for mostly big box so that it only transfers the shopping dollars from the former mall these stores.

There are many new shopping street mall sites that have been built and are very busy and attract the shoppers with money from Northfield to Southlands for example.

The construction of the redevelopment of Westminster Mall has now commenced with it turning into the likes of Belmar.

Southwest Mall has started redevelopment and now is calling itself Southwest Plaza Mall.

What we are seeing is not that the malls are dying because there is no money to be spend but what we are seeing is the transformation of these shopping points to attract the demographics that have the money and like to spend.

It is just a evolution of development and whether you and I agree that there are too many stores, makes no difference. It does not matter if some segment of society has less disposable income; it only matters if a merchant can attract that segment that has money and the rich are getting richer. If there is a perceived market then they will be built; if shops are able to move merchandise, either upscale food or expensive clothing, then they will succeed. You can pontificate all you want but what is being seen these newer shopping attractions are doing very well.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or