U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 13,902 times

Advertisements

I am doing a lot of research for our move in January and Lakewood seamed like a nice, suburban type of area. Then someone suggested the Belmar area. From what I can gather it is a city-type development (ie shops, bars, restaurants, housing) in Lakewood. If this is so it sounds perfect for us, but Im still not certain. Anyone familiar with the area?
Thanks

PS. Mike, thanks for the advice on searching I found what I Was looking for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 PM

10,904 posts, read 29,386,676 times
yes, Belmar is a new hip urban area (it's the old Villa Italia site) at Alameda & Wadsworth. Has every store and retuarant type know to mankind. Lofts, townhomes...single family nearby.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:02 PM

15 posts, read 98,151 times
Default Love it!!!!

I grew up about 5 miles from Belmar and had been gone about 15 years. I absolutely love living here. I just moved to Belmar in "The Falls Apts". There is also "Belmar Park" residences and a ton of new lofts under construction. Not only is it a great area to live in (everthing you want/need is within walking distance) but it's also 10-15 minutes to downtown, all the major sports stadiums, mountains, Red Rocks, 30-90 minutes to skiing/hiking/camping, mountain vacation spots (check out Glenwood Springs), and other shopping areas. This is also a dog friendly area. It is much more affordable than other "hip-urban" areas closer to downtown. The only area in Denver I would leave this place to live in would be the Washington Park area...but it's way too pricey. I highly recommend Belmar!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
I think you should take a look and decide for yourself. I used to live in W. Denver, was familiar with the area when it was the old Villa Italia Mall. We were just down there yesterday, for probably the first time in years for me. It seems as if Lakewood is trying to make a downtown area in a city that has no downtown. The stores are mostly high-end chains: Victoria's Secret, Coldwater Creek, lots of chain restaurants. There are several condo buildings going up. Location, as stated before, is excellent for mtn access. The surrounding area is 50s, 60s and 70s ranches. We were at a church in the area that is celebrating its 50th anniversary.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
I would call Belmar a Yuppie faux old development with overpriced stores that creative people like---on the Southeast corner of Alameda and Wadsworth. It looks nice and does have a Whole Food Market and nice condo developments.

The shops across the street on the southwest corner are more practical with nice restaurants and a King Soopers, grocery. Just behind it is the New Lakewood City Hall Complex. It also has the a brand new Jefferson County Library, Belmar Branch, with a nice park to the south. This has become the center of Lakewood with good services in the area.

The Northeast corner of the intersection has more established business and chain fast food restaurants and a Home Depot are across the Street to the North of the Belmar Center.

On the Northwest corner of the intersection is more shopping and a main Kaiser Permanente Medical Clinic down the road on Alameda. In addition, there will be a new hospital(relocation of St. Anthony's) that is being built further down on Alameda near Union, on the Federal Center.

I suggest a good area of housing is along Garrison, running north and south of of Alameda, West of Wadsworth. There are extensive parks, south of Alameda,west of Garrison, that extend to Kipling.

Living in proximity to this intersection will give you a good mix of old and new, good bus transportation, and access to city services and a library.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM

697 posts, read 3,047,064 times
My wife's dad lives in Belmar and he loves it. Anyone know of any areas similar to Belmar? I have looked at Stapleton too but am exploring all options. This is the type of community we were in when we lived in Las Vegas and I love the convienence.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM

694 posts, read 1,792,567 times
If you mean "similar to Belmar" to mean new urbanist (mixed-use), here's a short list. Of the new urbanist neighborhoods in Colorado I know of, Belmar is the most "urban".

Stapleton, Denver
Lowry, Denver
Highlands Garden Village, Denver
Bradburn Village, Westminster
Prospect New Town, Longmont
Holiday, Boulder
South Main, Buena Vista

However, there are many, many "old urbanist" areas of Denver that are great mixed-use, walkable areas as well.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM

697 posts, read 3,047,064 times
I guess that walkability is my lure to the area. It does not have to be a "hip" area to live. I love that these areas are so accessible without a car. My wife and I currently enjoy walking to the grocery store and to dinner here in Cheyenne. Walking is a great way to exercise without knowing you are doing it.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
I guess that walkability is my lure to the area. It does not have to be a "hip" area to live. I love that these areas are so accessible without a car. My wife and I currently enjoy walking to the grocery store and to dinner here in Cheyenne. Walking is a great way to exercise without knowing you are doing it.
I see this request often on this forum and I think the best way to find a walkable neighborhood is to look for the transportation and shopping first and find a home in the proximate area.

Google now provides on their map website the ability to see the public transit stops on the map. In addition, you can add an option to see all the supermarkets on the map.

I would find an area which has a good 7 days a week bus or rail line and shopping/entertainment within close walkable proximity. There are many areas in the city and the the suburbs that have their own walkable community with good transportation. They may not be the "hip" area like Belmar but will have good attributes for a neighborhood.

If you are looking for a Belmar feel area, I would suggest the redeveloped Southglenn Mall at Arapahoe and University. This is in the city of Centennial. It is called the Street at Southglenn Centennial, CO - Official Website - The Streets at Southglenn (http://www.centennialcolorado.com/index.asp?NID=124 - broken link)

Other areas that are good are:

Applewood on Youngfield in Wheat Ridge/Lakewood/Golden

Old Town Arvada and including West 58th (Ralston Road in Arvada.

Union/Green Mountain in Lakewood

Bear Valley, Darthmouth and Sheridan in Lakewood/Denver

Old Town Westminster, Federal and West 72nd. New Rail station is proposed for this area

120th and Sheridan in Westminster/Broomfield

Southwest Mall area, Wadsworth and Bowles, Lakewood, near Columbine

West 38th and Sheridan to West 38th and Wadsworth, good area King Soopers on Sheridan, Safeway on Wadsworth, Lutheran Hospital down the road west and the gentrified areas in Berkeley/Denver to the east.

i just picked areas along the West side because that is my favorite area and where I live but there are many, many more in Aurora, Denver etc. etc., etc. etc.

Livecontent

Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,885 times
Or why not just move downtown? Denver has an extremely safe and well developed Downtown. Why live in a fake urban setting when you can have the real thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or