U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,125,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
The latest news where deputies thrashed the guy to take drugs out from mouth is okay in my eyes even if they are using excessive force.
I'm okay with cops using excessive force against known criminals
What are you thoughts about these cops falsifying their reports and then conducting an illegal and unconstitutional search and seizure on a bystander?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 12:37 PM

1,149 posts, read 981,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What are you thoughts about these cops falsifying their reports and then conducting an illegal and unconstitutional search and seizure on a bystander?
That's wrong and that's why FBI is now investigating.
They shouldn't have searched that guys tablet and deleted videos to cover their tracks.
That's even after the guy said they can't do that without warrant or something.
That means those cops knew they did something wrong right then and there.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:05 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,481,461 times
Quote:
I'm okay with cops using excessive force against known criminals (that is still not within cops' rights-just my opinion) but not during initial encounter as the person they are after may be completely innocent.
I should clarify that I am not OK with excessive force. Once a person is subdued or the threat removed then they need to turn off the force. However I am OK with a cop protecting themselves with equal force. For instance if someone tries to get their gun then I'm OK with them shooting them before they do. If someone tries to hit them them or hurt them then I'm OK with the perp being hit, hurt or even shot. I would not be OK with this force used if the perp was in handcuffs, laying on the ground, unless they were trying to get up and still come at the police. I don't think the public should get to trod on the police and then claim they had force used on them when they were trying to do the same thing to the police.

I just watched a longer video of the Cleveland incident. The folks are questioning why the kid got shot so quick. I don't think the police really need to wait to see if the kid pulls a gun on them. Standing on a public street waving a gun at people is enough in my book for them to assign a sharp shooter and shoot the person. If they got any sort of verbal warning in ahead of time then that is a bonus but not necessary in my book. The cop has a family to go home to also and I don't see any need for him to take any risk or put his life on the line for a person standing in the street waving a gun a people who also have the right to walk their streets without someone waving a gun at them.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:19 PM

13,219 posts, read 24,286,892 times
A few years ago, I had a very unpleasant experience with DPD. I felt like the officers immediately jumped to conclusions without hearing both sides of the story, and used their authority to treat everyone involved like lesser humans.

That being said, I've had comparatively pleasant experiences with Aurora Police, and Douglas County Sheriff. Greenwood Village Police and Arapahoe County Sheriff run their areas almost like police states. With every other local agency I've had contact with, the experiences were comparatively benign.

I'm not going to say that the police here (overall) are any better or worse than other places around the country (I've also had overly unpleasant experiences in CA, for example), but the agencies with the most problems don't exactly make it unclear.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,875,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Greenwood Village Police and Arapahoe County Sheriff run their areas almost like police states.
This past summer, I got a phone call from the GVPD asking about a car that I own and that my son drives and had parked in front of his friend's house. When I asked what the problem was, he said he was calling to see why the car was parked on the street.

The exchange went something like this:
Me: Is there a problem with the car?
Officer: I was just wondering why the car is parked here.
Me: Is the car parked illegally?
Officer: No.
Me: Is the street a public street or a private street.
Officer: It's a public street.
Me: Is there anything you can see in the car to cause any alarm?
Officer: No.
Me: Then why are you calling me?
Officer: I received a call from a neighbor saying that a suspicious car was parked on the street.
Me: How can a car be suspicious? Suspicious is a behavior, and a car does not have behavior.
Officer: The neighbor did not recognize the car.
Me (pretty steamed by this point): Does the neighbor know every car that he sees parked on the street? I bet not. What is suspicious about the car? Let me tell you. It's a Ford. I bet if the neighbor looked out and saw a BMW or an Audi, he wouldn't have called police.
Officer: What is your son doing over here.
Me: He's visiting a friend, but what does that matter. He could have parked the car and take a walk along the Highline Canal. His car could have run out of gas and he is going to get some gas to put in his car. He could have parked it there and met a friend and drove off in his friend's car. It is a public street. He is not illegally parked, and there is no reason whatsoever for you to call me asking about it. He has a right to park it there.

The exchange went for a few more minutes, while he tried to backtrack a little, especially after I asked for his name, badge number, and name of his supervisor. You can draw your own conclusions, but it was just another example of police trying to keep the "wrong" sort of people out of Greenwood Village.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 PM

695 posts, read 800,663 times
Being a former police officer, I still have many friends who are police officers. I enjoy their company and they are also upset with rouge cops and a majority of the breed who have developed an "us against them mentality."

Old 11-30-2014, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,424 times
Of all the bad happenings with cops..I think it all started when every State decided that a cop is a cop 24 hours a day regardless if on the clock or not. That just thrives an ego trip in them to act like they are above everything at any time..just fricking clock out and be a human again until you click back in st*paid!!! Save your job or change career.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,703,850 times
We do apparently have a high rate of police brutality, but I've never had any problems with cops other than their bigger-than-you attitude problems.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 AM

6,897 posts, read 6,480,286 times
Quote:
Yes, my thoughts exactly.
The latest news where deputies thrashed the guy to take drugs out from mouth is okay in my eyes even if they are using excessive force.
I'm okay with cops using excessive force against known criminals (that is still not within cops' rights-just my opinion) but not during initial encounter as the person they are after may be completely innocent.

The captain who shoved fan in Coors field is now demoted.
That was just too much aggression from that captain.
Denver Police captain caught on tape shoving fan at Coors Field gets demoted | FOX31 Denver

Behavior like these must be controlled otherwise it'll be you or me during a regular traffic stop facing the same thing.

Good thing is DPD is investigating and punishing those involved cops.
Bad thing is the payout to victims will come from my paycheck.

Excessive by definition is more than necessary to get the job done. Why would anyone ever be alright with the use of excessive force?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,667,286 times
Newsflash, just because there are news stories about bad things doesn't mean it applies across the board. OPs logic is so old and I'm just tired of it. "The news said this so it must apply to real life!"

I'm a black male that has had zero problems with police because I have manners. I can admit I did something wrong and say "yes sir no sir", sorry sir ill slow down etc.

This is easy stuff guys. Dont get stumbling drunk in public or start fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or