U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:12 PM

370 posts, read 394,579 times

Advertisements

Do not come to Colorado to go to Metro.

It's an OK school, for older, non-traditional students and 19 year old students with mediocre high school grades who live in Arvada or Thornton with their parents and don't want to spend a lot of money to get an education. The education generally isn't terrible, but it's nothing to brag about either.

And $400 gets you nothing here. Literally. Not even a room. Try $700 a month if you want to be within walking or reasonable public transport distance to the university. Denver is expensive and getting more so by the day.

I'm not an expert on pilot careers, but listen closely to those who have offered advice. Think long and hard before coming out here, especially for Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 07:47 PM

254 posts, read 428,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If you truly want to be a pilot (assuming pilot here), I would recommend:

1) Trying to get into the Naval or Airforce Academy.
With all due respect, OP will have a very low chance of admission with a 2.9 GPA. The military academies are very highly selective institutions (in other words, high GPAs are required for admission.)

Old 11-28-2014, 08:08 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
I went to Embry-Riddle Prescott, AZ for Aerospace Engineering, and most of the pilots I met there said that the college degree is a waste of time and $$$... their parents paid for it all anyways.

If you truly want to be a pilot (assuming pilot here), I would recommend:

1) Trying to get into the Naval or Airforce Academy.
2) Goto a local college and get a science degree, then go into the Military as an officer for flight ops.
3) Goto a local college and get a science degree, then go to a civilian flight school, get a job as a right seat commuter pilot making 28k a year until you get enough hours to go commercial.
4) Move somewhere thinking you will like it, attend a school you know nothing about and hope things workout.
Naval or Air Force academy admissions require being at or near the top of your class and have a letter of recommendation from a member of congress, the Vice President, or President in addition to many other criteria.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:35 PM

529 posts, read 1,250,201 times
OP,

Hi, Metro Grad Here!

The previous posters on this thread have absolutely no idea what they are talking about! Obviously none of them know anything about the Aviation/Aerospace program nor have any of them ever gone to Metro according to their comments. They are just the typical ignorant Metro bashers who know absolutely nothing other than Metro's outdated reputation based on admission requirements.

MSU Denver has one of the best aviation programs in the country, definitely on par if not better than the University of North Dakota that someone mentioned earlier!

Metro is not a school known for overall prestigious academics sure, but when talking about the aviation program it is actually one of the best in the nation. Metro's aerospace program has been rated among the top 5 in the nation for the last 10 years and graduates have gone onto great careers in the Aerospace world. Many of them go on to fly commercially, or for the military. Metro has an ROTC program in cooperation with CU Boulder and I had many class mates who went on to fly for the Air Force. The Metro Flight team has won the Loening Trophy several times over the years, this trophy is the oldest and most prestigious collegiate aviation award. So yeah Metro students are pretty good pilots!

Metro has beaten the USAF Academy in flight competitions on at least one occasion in the last few years! Also Metro offers degrees in the non-flying side of aviation as well such as airport management and air traffic control. They also offer space systems degrees including space commercialization with classes taught by veterans of the Air Force Space Command and using top of the line software systems and simulators. So yeah Metro's Aerospace program is Pretty Darn Good!

Here's a link to the recent Loening Trophy win Metro State College of Denver's aviation team is on a higher plane - The Denver Post

Oh Yeah, My sister went to the University of Denver (DU) which is a highly rated school for academics, she got a degree in music but she's currently waiting tables because she couldn't get a job in the music industry. Just because a school is rated lower than another overall doesn't mean that specific programs at the "inferior" school aren't superior or more beneficial than other programs at the "better" school. Simply looking at the school itself as the main reason for getting a specific degree is ridiculous!

Oh Yeah, I also have a friend from CU Boulder who got a degree in History who is also now waiting tables! See my point. All these ignorant and clueless posters on this thread claim that Metro is a bad school and CU and DU are superior, yet I work for Lockheed now after attending Metro and my "smarter" friends who went to CU and DU are waiting tables. How is this possible if Metro is a terrible school?

All the aviation professors at Metro are either ex-military or come from schools like Embry Riddle and the USAFA or USNA. Several of my professors who went to Embry Riddle for their degrees have said that the education you get in the Aerospace department at Metro is every bit as good as the one you can get at Embry Riddle! One of these men was Tim Barth who is now the airport manager at Longmont Airport and has 35 years experience as a pilot and with airport operations. Look him up if you'd like.

Also Colorado is full of jobs right now in the aviation and aerospace industries and employers like Lockheed, and United Airlines have very close ties with Metro (this is what helped me get a job) and this is a great time to invest in a degree in Aviation at Metro! It will pay off big time!!

Joe Rice is the head of Government Relations at Lockheed Martin Space Systems, and he has close ties with Metro and is a Metro grad himself. He helped me get my job and he is a shining example of Metro's prominence and image in the Aerospace world.

Here is his info
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-rice/54/368/214

The people who think that anyone who goes to Metro must be stupid and couldn't get into a better college are incredibly narrow minded and ignorant so don't let them fool you or sour your opinion on Metro. I got accepted to CU Boulder and University of Denver but I chose Metro for their Aerospace Operations and Space Commercialization Degree which was unique to Metro and only offered at Metro. If you enjoy hardcore partying and beer pong then go to CU Boulder but if you only care about your education and not parties then Metro is a great choice. I got to enjoy the cheaper Metro tuition and just six months after graduating I got a job doing the same thing that CU Boulder grads do who paid 5 times as much as I did for their education. It's a pretty sweet deal! My sister is still paying off her DU student loans on a waitresses pay and will be for several more years. I on the other hand have a MUCH better job and no student loans and I went to such an "inferior" school! See how the cocky and senseless ignorance of people can prevent the truth and a promising future from exposing itself?

I currently work at Lockheed Martin alongside graduates from Colorado School of Mines and CU Boulder. I help design satellite orbits and mission scenarios and thanks to the training I got at Metro I was very prepared for this job. My professors were mostly ex-military and very experienced. My orbital mechanics class was taught by a retired Brig. Gen from the USAF Space command and he was able to help me get in touch with both the Air Force and Lockheed Martin for job interviews and he provided me the opportunity to attend several courses at Peterson AFB (the same course that USAF personnel attend) to gain additional skills that I would need. I'm a civilian working for Lockheed but I work closely with the US Military and it was imperative that I got the training I did with the USAF thanks to my professor at Metro State!!

Again don't let the negative and ignorant impression of Metro that people exhibit turn you away from what is an excellent program at an "inferior" school! The negative image of Metro is based on an out-dated and incredibly non-specific and ignorant mindset.

In regards to pilots though, I have friends who graduated from Metro and are currently flying for United Airlines and Federal Express and they got their jobs thanks to their education and training at Metro State! So if you want to be a pilot then you have a good shot of doing that at Metro. The military is also an option and as I mentioned I have a few friends who currently fly for the USAF who graduated from Metro as well. Most of the professors who teach the flying courses are all ex-military pilots so yeah they're pretty experienced with what they're teaching.

I currently work at Lockheed Martin alongside graduates from Colorado School of Mines and CU Boulder. I help design satellite flight paths and mission scenarios and thanks to the training I got at Metro I was very prepared for this job. My professors were mostly ex-military and very experienced. My orbital mechanics class was taught by a retired Brig. Gen from the USAF Space command and he was able to help me get in touch with both the Air Force and Lockheed Martin for job interviews and he provided me the opportunity to attend several courses at Peterson AFB (the same course that USAF personnel attend) to gain additional skills that I would need. I'm a civilian working for Lockheed but I work closely with the US Military and it was imperative that I got the training I did with the USAF thanks to my professor at Metro State!! Another Professor I had is nationally known for his work on Aviation security and has been interviewed by CNN and USA Today multiple times. He has written several inter-nationally used textbooks on the subject as well. He is a Metro grad and a former Coast Guard officer, so yeah Metro has smart and incredibly successful professors.

So I say go for it OP, moving to Colorado to attend Metro for a degree in aviation is definitely a smart move. I wouldn't move to Denver to attend Metro for any other degree program (although the hospitality and journalism programs are also very highly rated) but if you're sights are set on Aviation then that 100% changes the situation! I knew a few students from Europe who came to Metro for an Aviation degree so you will definitely not be the first person from a foreign country to come to Colorado to attend Metro.

See what a great school Metro is for aviation and aerospace? And to think all these previous posters who had no clue about Metro almost turned you away from a prestigious and promising program!

-Here are some links that provide info on how prestigious Metro's aviation program is!

Metropolitan State College of Denver

Metro State College of Denver offers Aviation Education | Airport Journals

Metropolitan State University of Denver College Portrait

https://www.msudenver.edu/aviation/

http://www.msudenver.edu/newsroom/ne...ring-day.shtml

https://www.pinterest.com/caseyflies...ing-center-to/

http://yourhub.denverpost.com/blog/2...nterest/53303/

Here are links to bios of Metro's experienced and talented aviation faculty

MSU Denver A to Z | MSU Denver A to Z | MSU Denver

Here is a link that provides info from a student who moved to Colorado from France to attend Metro for the aviation program.

Campuscene

Last edited by JMM64; 11-29-2014 at 12:15 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 01:47 AM

529 posts, read 1,250,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
OP,

Hi, Metro Grad Here!

The previous posters on this thread have absolutely no idea what they are talking about! Obviously none of them know anything about the Aviation/Aerospace program nor have any of them ever gone to Metro according to their comments. They are just the typical ignorant Metro bashers who know absolutely nothing other than Metro's outdated reputation based on admission requirements.

MSU Denver has one of the best aviation programs in the country, definitely on par if not better than the University of North Dakota that someone mentioned earlier!

Metro is not a school known for overall prestigious academics sure, but when talking about the aviation program it is actually one of the best in the nation. Metro's aerospace program has been rated among the top 5 in the nation for the last 10 years and graduates have gone onto great careers in the Aerospace world. Many of them go on to fly commercially, or for the military. Metro has an ROTC program in cooperation with CU Boulder and I had many class mates who went on to fly for the Air Force. The Metro Flight team has won the Loening Trophy several times over the years, this trophy is the oldest and most prestigious collegiate aviation award. So yeah Metro students are pretty good pilots!

Metro has beaten the USAF Academy in flight competitions on at least one occasion in the last few years! Also Metro offers degrees in the non-flying side of aviation as well such as airport management and air traffic control. They also offer space systems degrees including space commercialization with classes taught by veterans of the Air Force Space Command and using top of the line software systems and simulators. So yeah Metro's Aerospace program is Pretty Darn Good!

Here's a link to the recent Loening Trophy win Metro State College of Denver's aviation team is on a higher plane - The Denver Post

Oh Yeah, My sister went to the University of Denver (DU) which is a highly rated school for academics, she got a degree in music but she's currently waiting tables because she couldn't get a job in the music industry. Just because a school is rated lower than another overall doesn't mean that specific programs at the "inferior" school aren't superior or more beneficial than other programs at the "better" school. Simply looking at the school itself as the main reason for getting a specific degree is ridiculous!

Oh Yeah, I also have a friend from CU Boulder who got a degree in History who is also now waiting tables! See my point. All these ignorant and clueless posters on this thread claim that Metro is a bad school and CU and DU are superior, yet I work for Lockheed now after attending Metro and my "smarter" friends who went to CU and DU are waiting tables. How is this possible if Metro is a terrible school?

All the aviation professors at Metro are either ex-military or come from schools like Embry Riddle and the USAFA or USNA. Several of my professors who went to Embry Riddle for their degrees have said that the education you get in the Aerospace department at Metro is every bit as good as the one you can get at Embry Riddle! One of these men was Tim Barth who is now the airport manager at Longmont Airport and has 35 years experience as a pilot and with airport operations. Look him up if you'd like.

Also Colorado is full of jobs right now in the aviation and aerospace industries and employers like Lockheed, and United Airlines have very close ties with Metro (this is what helped me get a job) and this is a great time to invest in a degree in Aviation at Metro! It will pay off big time!!

Joe Rice is the head of Government Relations at Lockheed Martin Space Systems, and he has close ties with Metro and is a Metro grad himself. He helped me get my job and he is a shining example of Metro's prominence and image in the Aerospace world.

Here is his info
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-rice/54/368/214

The people who think that anyone who goes to Metro must be stupid and couldn't get into a better college are incredibly narrow minded and ignorant so don't let them fool you or sour your opinion on Metro. I got accepted to CU Boulder and University of Denver but I chose Metro for their Aerospace Operations and Space Commercialization Degree which was unique to Metro and only offered at Metro. If you enjoy hardcore partying and beer pong then go to CU Boulder but if you only care about your education and not parties then Metro is a great choice. I got to enjoy the cheaper Metro tuition and just six months after graduating I got a job doing the same thing that CU Boulder grads do who paid 5 times as much as I did for their education. It's a pretty sweet deal! My sister is still paying off her DU student loans on a waitresses pay and will be for several more years. I on the other hand have a MUCH better job and no student loans and I went to such an "inferior" school! See how the cocky and senseless ignorance of people can prevent the truth and a promising future from exposing itself?

I currently work at Lockheed Martin alongside graduates from Colorado School of Mines and CU Boulder. I help design satellite orbits and mission scenarios and thanks to the training I got at Metro I was very prepared for this job. My professors were mostly ex-military and very experienced. My orbital mechanics class was taught by a retired Brig. Gen from the USAF Space command and he was able to help me get in touch with both the Air Force and Lockheed Martin for job interviews and he provided me the opportunity to attend several courses at Peterson AFB (the same course that USAF personnel attend) to gain additional skills that I would need. I'm a civilian working for Lockheed but I work closely with the US Military and it was imperative that I got the training I did with the USAF thanks to my professor at Metro State!!

Again don't let the negative and ignorant impression of Metro that people exhibit turn you away from what is an excellent program at an "inferior" school! The negative image of Metro is based on an out-dated and incredibly non-specific and ignorant mindset.

In regards to pilots though, I have friends who graduated from Metro and are currently flying for United Airlines and Federal Express and they got their jobs thanks to their education and training at Metro State! So if you want to be a pilot then you have a good shot of doing that at Metro. The military is also an option and as I mentioned I have a few friends who currently fly for the USAF who graduated from Metro as well. Most of the professors who teach the flying courses are all ex-military pilots so yeah they're pretty experienced with what they're teaching.

I currently work at Lockheed Martin alongside graduates from Colorado School of Mines and CU Boulder. I help design satellite flight paths and mission scenarios and thanks to the training I got at Metro I was very prepared for this job. My professors were mostly ex-military and very experienced. My orbital mechanics class was taught by a retired Brig. Gen from the USAF Space command and he was able to help me get in touch with both the Air Force and Lockheed Martin for job interviews and he provided me the opportunity to attend several courses at Peterson AFB (the same course that USAF personnel attend) to gain additional skills that I would need. I'm a civilian working for Lockheed but I work closely with the US Military and it was imperative that I got the training I did with the USAF thanks to my professor at Metro State!! Another Professor I had is nationally known for his work on Aviation security and has been interviewed by CNN and USA Today multiple times. He has written several inter-nationally used textbooks on the subject as well. He is a Metro grad and a former Coast Guard officer, so yeah Metro has smart and incredibly successful professors.

So I say go for it OP, moving to Colorado to attend Metro for a degree in aviation is definitely a smart move. I wouldn't move to Denver to attend Metro for any other degree program (although the hospitality and journalism programs are also very highly rated) but if you're sights are set on Aviation then that 100% changes the situation! I knew a few students from Europe who came to Metro for an Aviation degree so you will definitely not be the first person from a foreign country to come to Colorado to attend Metro.

See what a great school Metro is for aviation and aerospace? And to think all these previous posters who had no clue about Metro almost turned you away from a prestigious and promising program!

-Here are some links that provide info on how prestigious Metro's aviation program is!

Metropolitan State College of Denver

Metro State College of Denver offers Aviation Education | Airport Journals

Metropolitan State University of Denver College Portrait

https://www.msudenver.edu/aviation/

October | Newsroom | MSU Denver

https://www.pinterest.com/caseyflies...ing-center-to/

MSU Denver

Here are links to bios of Metro's experienced and talented aviation faculty

Here is a link that provides info from a student who moved to Colorado from France to attend Metro for the aviation program.

Campuscene
OP,

Sorry for the repeated paragraphs, I was rearranging what I wrote and forgot to delete the originals.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:18 AM

16 posts, read 14,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
Do not come to Colorado to go to Metro.

It's an OK school, for older, non-traditional students and 19 year old students with mediocre high school grades who live in Arvada or Thornton with their parents and don't want to spend a lot of money to get an education. The education generally isn't terrible, but it's nothing to brag about either.

And $400 gets you nothing here. Literally. Not even a room. Try $700 a month if you want to be within walking or reasonable public transport distance to the university. Denver is expensive and getting more so by the day.

I'm not an expert on pilot careers, but listen closely to those who have offered advice. Think long and hard before coming out here, especially for Metro.
thank you for your advice .my deam is to be a pilot ,however it will be ok for me if i do not follow that path , as long as i have a job that is airport , aviation , or aerospace related .

Old 12-01-2014, 10:16 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,901,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
With all due respect, OP will have a very low chance of admission with a 2.9 GPA. The military academies are very highly selective institutions (in other words, high GPAs are required for admission.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Naval or Air Force academy admissions require being at or near the top of your class and have a letter of recommendation from a member of congress, the Vice President, or President in addition to many other criteria.
I was just laying out general options... yes a 2.9 gpa will probably make it difficult for Option 1.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,901,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamna View Post
Mach50, since you are in the field , what do you think of getting a bachelor's in either one of the two concentations below at Metro :
Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative
Aviation and Aerospace Operations
I am actually not in the field. I switched careers to Software Engineering long ago.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:25 AM

918 posts, read 983,858 times
Quote:
I was just laying out general options... yes a 2.9 gpa will probably make it difficult for Option 1.
Considering that the majority of US military pilots are produced through ROTC programs, the academy admission options being a non-starter for the OP is not a dead-end. I know of a few MSU Denver grad's who used the Air Force ROTC program as a pathway to a flight career in the Air Force and have quite successful. There's a little saying about junior officer's origins in the services: Academy grads are impossible because they think they already know everything, ROTC grads can't be trusted to go to the bathroom alone, and OCS/BOT grads just want to drink beer with the NCO's.

Metro State's aviation and aerospace program is quite good and the millions that the school is pouring into improving it will only make it better. It's true the school does not have the name recognition of the University of South Dakota (which isn't exactly well-known either) it wouldn't be the worst option for the OP. The university's academic and admissions reputation is now out of date considering that it has more selective admission criteria than many of the other "highly regarded" institutions in Colorado such as Western State, Colorado Mesa, UNC, CSU Pueblo, or Adams State (hell, CU Boulder admits a higher ratio of it's applicants than does MSU Denver, though I'm sure the applicant pool is significantly better at CU). Yes, the school does have a mission role to provide an educational opportunity to non-traditional students and has to admit anyone over the age of 20 who can meet the admission requirements, but the selectivity of admissions for traditional students belies the school's previous reputation.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend paying an out of state tuition cost for the program, but MSU Denver is a career pathway that the OP should still consider as it certainly has the degree programs in which he has expressed interest and the cost would be pretty damn reasonable once he's established residency. The aviation and aerospace program also has a decent career placement program and has done a good job of fostering connections with various companies in the aviation industry.

Last edited by wong21fr; 12-01-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 12:15 PM

918 posts, read 983,858 times
Another question to the OP: are you a US citizen? Because some of the career paths that are being batted around, such as being a military pilot or an air traffic controller, are going to require US citizenship, either de facto or de jure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver