U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:23 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,163,320 times

Advertisements

^ good points!

I have been driving for about 48 years. I never try to get into any contest with other aggressive drivers. If I can pull over, I will. If I can move out of their way, I will. You never really know what sort of nut you are dealing with and with many carrying guns, it is best just to let them go on their way.

Obviously, at times it is difficult to move quickly or impossible to move out of their way. Then it becomes a problem, especially when the crazy driver becomes more irate and angry. I just let them steam and avoid any eye contact or any action that would increase the severity of the confrontation.

If a driver cuts me off--I just accept the situation. Many times it is just a mistake and not a premeditated action and so why get angry. After all, there are times when I made a stupid mistake and cut a driver off; so I try to accept that we are all just people trying our best. These morons who go after other drivers because they feel for revenge are just sick people.

I have avoided many problems on the road. There are times, when some situations have got me stressed and then I just pull off the road and relax myself. I do not want to have anger built which reduces my attention to driving or or take out the anger on another driver as I am driving along. That is one reason, I avoid highways because I can easily and quickly stop driving and pull to the side.

Consequently, I have a low insurance risk with only a few minor tickets and have not been ticketed in almost 20 years.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-28-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDaly View Post
Drivers generally don't loose their cool for no reason. If you caused your "villain" driver to have to slow down because of your overtaking, then you are at fault. Sorry. 20 Car lengths at 80 MPH is not much. q12
LOL. If only the seas would part for me, like this, with everyone immediately vacating my lane the moment I became visible in it, and remaining out of it until I deigned to proceed, all for fear of making me slow down for a moment. And I think 20-30 car lengths is plenty when everyone is going roughly the same speed (and remember, the guy had plenty of room, even after I had gained the lane, and a vehicle right in front of me already in the lane, also working on passing).

But of course it is always appropriate to punish other motorists when they offend you, by subjecting them to road rage, using your vehicle as a weapon, making rude gestures, etc. After all, they are the ones at fault ... at least in your own mind, which is all that really matters! Get in my way, I will see that you get what you deserve! Sarcasm alert... oh, too late, sorry. Though I admit, this is apparently how the Colorado State Patrol viewed the matter, in this instance, even if the dispatcher couldn't actually tell me what the law was (so that I could maybe comply with it). They really did seem to think I was at fault, and had no interest in how the other guy behaved.

For myself, this sort of endangerment doesn't seem like much of an alternative, compared to lifting for 3 seconds when the turn signal comes on 20-30 car lengths ahead of me, allowing the other motorist to finish their pass safely, and avoiding the whole mess.

Like I said, I have seen more of this (inflicted on myself and others, all seemingly unprovoked) in the Denver metro area than anywhere else in the country. Really unpleasant.

I already use mass transit, for commuting, when it is possible, and in general I drive as little as possible, use low traffic density routes when possible, and etc. 2-way or even 4-way dash cameras sound like a good idea, I may look into that.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:40 PM

1,141 posts, read 928,826 times
Leave textbook/dmv rules to where it belongs... in the book.
When you are on the road, drive per road conditions keeping the DMV rules as a guideline.
If you change lanes into some drivers' (Those drivers are with mentality that it's their private road) personal space, they'll speed up and come behind you.
Anyways, if someone on the left lane is coming with a reasonable distance between that car and the car in front, I don't merge because I'd be cutting that safe distance in half for the car behind.
Why do you think the car in left lane has that much space?
For you to change lane?
No.
It's for himself as a buffer.
If you change lane, there is some aggravation.
Some show it with what you experience coming up behind you and giving you a middle finger. That kind of drivers are everywhere so it's no new news.
Others will just frown and slow down to keep the same distance behind you that they had with another car in front before.
Another suggestion is if you give turn signal and the car behind tries to speed up, wait for it, don't force yourself.

As far as dashcam, one of my cars has both front and rear dascams but that won't be enough to do anything unless he touches you.
It's hard to judge distance even if you have video plus why go through all the trouble just to prove you are right and to save few seconds?

But you are here to vent so vent away...

Old 11-28-2014, 04:46 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,435,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
If you must drive, then to further reduce the severe hazards of driving, it is best to avoid high speed highways. You will still be at risk with other road but the risks in collisions are much less.

I do not take the highways. I leave ample time to get to where I need to go....Yes, I am retired and have more freedom in times of travel.
Shocker that you are retired. Taking back roads is not really a sober option for the OP traveling between CS and Denver.

@OP: I am curious what section of I25 that was. I have made that round trip more than 100 times. I would say the fastest and most chaotic section of I25 is the north bound section from the outlet mall to 470. I believe that a large part of the problem is the reduced speed limit (down to 65) traveling through Castle Rock. I think they are required to reduce the speed through CR under federal law. But I think that section of 65mph confuses a lot of people, and traffic flow gets disrupted. Some people fail to see the 65 sign coming into CR, and continue to drive 80 in the 65, others fail to see the 75 sign exiting CR, and continue to drive 65 in the 75. I think this frustrates a lot of people and adds to aggressive driving problems. CR just isn't big enough to need that reduced speed through the town.

My personal highway pet peeve is people that pass on the right, and this also happens most frequently in that north bound section of I25 between CR and 470.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:15 PM

91 posts, read 140,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
LOL. If only the seas would part for me, like this, with everyone immediately vacating my lane the moment I became visible in it, and remaining out of it until I deigned to proceed, all for fear of making me slow down for a moment. And I think 20-30 car lengths is plenty when everyone is going roughly the same speed (and remember, the guy had plenty of room, even after I had gained the lane, and a vehicle right in front of me already in the lane, also working on passing).

But of course it is always appropriate to punish other motorists when they offend you, by subjecting them to road rage, using your vehicle as a weapon, making rude gestures, etc. After all, they are the ones at fault ... at least in your own mind, which is all that really matters! Get in my way, I will see that you get what you deserve! Sarcasm alert... oh, too late, sorry. Though I admit, this is apparently how the Colorado State Patrol viewed the matter, in this instance, even if the dispatcher couldn't actually tell me what the law was (so that I could maybe comply with it). They really did seem to think I was at fault, and had no interest in how the other guy behaved.

For myself, this sort of endangerment doesn't seem like much of an alternative, compared to lifting for 3 seconds when the turn signal comes on 20-30 car lengths ahead of me, allowing the other motorist to finish their pass safely, and avoiding the whole mess.

Like I said, I have seen more of this (inflicted on myself and others, all seemingly unprovoked) in the Denver metro area than anywhere else in the country. Really unpleasant.

I already use mass transit, for commuting, when it is possible, and in general I drive as little as possible, use low traffic density routes when possible, and etc. 2-way or even 4-way dash cameras sound like a good idea, I may look into that.
So if you have been enduring this for as long as you say, then this behavior is well known to you and you would drive accordingly, no? For the record - 80 MPH is 117 Ft / Sec, so essentially the guy behind you was less than a second behind you when you pulled out to pass - less if you were going slower than 80 MPH, which I would suggest you probably were. While I don't condone his behavior, you may not be quite as innocent as you believe.

The one point I do agree with you on is that Denver area drivers are without doubt some of the worst drivers anywhere, and like you, I have driven in a lot of different locales.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
The one point I do agree with you on is that Denver area drivers are without doubt some of the worst drivers anywhere, and like you, I have driven in a lot of different locales.
I disagree.
Having driven in much worse cities like the ones in Texas, Denver drivers are much polite.
Some are so much polite that they fall into dumb drivers category who fear of getting tickets as soon as they go over speed limit even if it means slowing down the whole rush hour traffic.

Middle finger or honking is not considered too aggressive when it's due to someone doing something like changing lane without enough space, without signal, or those dumbo who drive at 50mph on a 65mph highway on the left lane and don't give way for miles.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,390 times
Quote:
So if you have been enduring this for as long as you say, then this behavior is well known to you and you would drive accordingly, no? For the record - 80 MPH is 117 Ft / Sec, so essentially the guy behind you was less than a second behind you when you pulled out to pass - less if you were going slower than 80 MPH, which I would suggest you probably were. While I don't condone his behavior, you may not be quite as innocent as you believe
Er... more like 3-4 seconds (20+ car lengths, not 7-8 car lengths... he really was quite a way behind me, and I really did think I was OK to do what I did), and I checked my speedometer shortly before starting my pass (I check it every 5-10 seconds, habitually, especially when merging into potentially faster traffic, so that I can increase to the prevailing speed of traffic if necessary). But I take your point... anyone can be a dangerous sociopath, provoked by the most trivial act, and the wise man lives his life accordingly.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 AM

472 posts, read 666,296 times
Quote:
Ask yourself, do you really need to take the highways as much as you do. You can allow a little more time to get to your destinations and just travel slower on other roads. You can avoid the problems of high speed where avoidance of accidents are more difficult.

I do not take the highways. I leave ample time to get to where I need to go. I do not need to compete at high speeds with others.
Actually on a medium or large arterial surface street I'm more concerned about accidents, mainly due to the possibility of a nutjob blowing a red light and t-boning me, especially at night. On higher speed streets, even approaching greens, I give a quick look down the perpendicular directions to make sure it's clear. (Also for somebody doing a premature left turn on green.) Same for slower neighborhood streets where a kid could blow a four way stop, etc.

On a predicatable freeway you can usually see a reckless driver, speed demon, or drunk driver well enough in advance - (in the rear view or approaching them), to act accordingly and be evasive.

I also appreciate it when people look up after texting a few words to check in on the road too.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Ask yourself, do you really need to take the highways as much as you do. You can allow a little more time to get to your destinations and just travel slower on other roads. On these other roads it is much easier to avoid these enraged fast drivers because you can pull over and let them pass. You can avoid the problems of high speed where avoidance of accidents are more difficult.
Ask yourself, do you really have to go out of home?
Just stay home and you'll avoid all traffic problems.
And we can play football on the highways.
Avoiding highways is not a solution unless driver is not confident.
I've few friends whose wives never drive on highways.
Being careful is what matters while driving.

Side streets are more stressful than highways. I've tried all available routes to work and I rather stay on highways even if it's slower than go through side streets that have 100's of traffic lights. There is a lot more risk of traffic cameras, someone turning in your lane from intersection and especially the time it takes. If you have bad luck, you'll spend over an hour just waiting on traffic lights. Sometimes the sequence is so bad, every single light turns red.
Drive 25 miles in Denver at rush hour traffic and you'll feel your legs hurting after alternating gas and brakes constantly.

Last edited by Mystery123; 11-29-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,949,899 times
I spent almost a year commuting to work on I-25 from the Springs to Denver, 80mph, bumper to bumper driving, and no safe following distance no matter what the weather. I'm happy to drive 80mph, but not if I can only have a 12 foot following distance. I've watched crazed drivers decide that my 55 mph in the middle of a blizzard with the road glaze ice decide that they just HAD to pass me, no matter what. Over the 8 months of my commute I saw at least 3 cars attempt this maneuver and slip slide away off of I-25 and down into a snow bank or a ditch. Fortunately, none were hurt, and they got no sympathy from me. 4WD don't mean 4 wheel brakes, and if you hit a patch of ice the right way (or wrong, depending), your snappy new SUV with 4 wheel or all wheel skids just as good as anything else out there on the road. I used to briefly escape this insanity on the return drive home, by exiting at Larkspur. Don't know what it's like now, but that nice little stretch from Larkspur to Palmer Lake was a welcome relief. I usually had the highway all to myself, too. Bet that's no longer true, but it was nice once upon a time.

Out here on the Western Slope, I channel a couple of different driving personas. There's the country me who moseys along on the Forest Service roads, taking my time, listening to Chuck Pyle, and giving anyone coming the other way that back roads, one hand raised slightly off the steering wheel gesture of acknowledgement. I hate having anyone behind me when I'm ambling along that way, and I always pull over as soon as I can, so I can be rid of them and them of me. Then there's the cowgirl from hell me, taking the mountain curves at impossible speeds and passing the slow poke tourists with major annoyance in my black little heart. But I'll tell you what; I'd rather drive Highway 550 over Red Mountain Pass in the middle of a snow storm than go back to the 80mph, bumper to bumper driving which characterizes the Front Range. I'm amazed ya'll haven't killed yourselves in traffic accidents with Denver and the Springs becoming ghost towns as a result of all the carnage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver