U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:27 AM

1,057 posts, read 845,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We don't.
Next on your wish list.
What's wrong with increased competition? Nobody would force you to get Google Fiber if it was available on the Front Range. Heck, it doesn't even have to be Google Fiber, it could be some other firm.

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 01:26 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
What's wrong with increased competition? Nobody would force you to get Google Fiber if it was available on the Front Range. Heck, it doesn't even have to be Google Fiber, it could be some other firm.

- skbl17
Google has no plans for a fiber system in Denver. Even in the few cities that they do have plans for, they are having major problems getting started, and much of their planned fiber may never get built. Google doesn't really have an interest in building a lot of fiber. They are just trying to spur development.

In short Fiber-To-The-Premises (FTTP) sounds nice, but it is really not cost effective to build. From a consumer point of view, FTTP tends to cost much more then DSL or cable (especially for installation) and have speeds no greater then that of cable.

Your best bet for fiber will probably come from Comcast or CenturyLink. Though if somebody was to build a third system, that would certainly be good for prices, but don't hold your breath for that to happen, for the above reasons.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:04 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
The 3rd provider will most likely be from cities. Longmont is starting to roll out NextLight which had 1 gig download speeds for $50 a month. There are some regulatory issues that cities have to overcome before they can offer service, but it can be done.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:20 AM

384 posts, read 407,119 times
Not sure on here, but didn't some states ban cities from getting in the ISP business (basically to lock in the incumbent cable co's).

I'd love to see more options, Comcast is driving me crazy, but I don't want to go to CenturyLink either

Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 AM

5,192 posts, read 8,318,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Not sure on here, but didn't some states ban cities from getting in the ISP business (basically to lock in the incumbent cable co's).

I'd love to see more options, Comcast is driving me crazy, but I don't want to go to CenturyLink either
Yes, but the FCC is moving to overturn those bans, which of course the industry is contesting.

The FCC rules against state limits on city-run Internet - The Washington Post

Re alternatives to cable or DSL providers, there are WiMAX and 4G LTE "hotspot" providers of Internet access. And satellite, with its issues.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:38 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
Do not get Comcast's X1 Platform. Totally blows. I've had to call them 19 times since Sept. Had a technician come out twice in one day. Very expensive and their internet blows as well-constantly freezing and slow. I can't wait to get rid of them in May

Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM

20,975 posts, read 11,624,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Do not get Comcast's X1 Platform. Totally blows. I've had to call them 19 times since Sept. Had a technician come out twice in one day. Very expensive and their internet blows as well-constantly freezing and slow. I can't wait to get rid of them in May
Maybe it varies by location? I've had it since November, and no issues.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:51 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
Maybe it does but here in Lakewood it blows

Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM

20,975 posts, read 11,624,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Maybe it does but here in Lakewood it blows
I'm in Stapleton, in an area that was just being built out. So maybe it's the newer cables or something....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or