U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:47 PM

42 posts, read 54,200 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to area.

Who is the best cell phone provider? Looking for a company with the best savings too.

Also, who has the best Internet/basic cable packages/service in area. Looking for best savings, combined with service.

Who do you use? Recommends? Best way to save $

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 03:00 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
There is many different opinions as there are users.

There is really only two main internet providers. Comcast is the traditional cable service that runs the cable internet and Century Link is the traditional phone company that runs a DSL internet service.

I like Comcast as I think traditional cable it is more reliable and faster than a DSL line. However, CenturyLink has implemented new technology that is claimed to be faster and reliable--but it is only installed a set few areas, usually the high income areas so they can suck up more bucks!

They both bundle cell phone and TV.

There are satellite TV services, Direct Link and Dish. Many channels, much junk and they encourage you to buy more than you need.

There are a plethora of cell phone providers and it is hard to say what works well with each of us. Obviously, what is important if it works were you live and work.

For me:

I only have high speed internet through Comcast for as long as high speed internet has been offered. I have bought my own modem and saved hundreds of dollars over the years. I would never pay $8 a month to rent from Comcast for a modem. You can buy one for about $60.

I have never had cable or satellite TV. I amnot too much a fan of TV. In this area, it is very easy to get over the air TV in high definition with multiple channels, with a cheap antenna, as many of transmission sites are located on Lookout Mountain near Golden. Since, you picked Golden to live, you can get excellent reception and it cost nothing. I scan 50 plus channels in Arvada.

Today much TV is over the internet and it appears that is they way of the future. Depends on what you watch and enjoy. I do not watch sports and most movies are trash to me but I can get hundreds of movies free from my public library contract with hoopla. I tend to read extensively on my tablet and computers--so I do not need all the nonsense. Of course, I never buy books as there are thousands and thousands of ebooks and printed books, all free from the library or other sources.

I have a home phone through CenturyLink. It is expensive but very reliable with many services and of course the best support for 911 and FAX, if you have a need. It is certainly more secure than much of the VOIP telephony.

There are many VOIP services available that work well enough However, perhaps as a single person, you only need a cell phone.

I have a minimal cell phone that cost me $10 a year, pay as you go. I do not have a smartphone. I do not care to text everybody all the time like some teenager--hi I luv ya, I am in the bathroom, where are you! or send idiotic photos, all day long.

I have a tablet which I have a free google voice number that works for calling and receiving and works through all my computers. Yea, I can do all that social networking that is available on the tablet with texting and sending photos but I think it mostly a waste!

The cheapest for any services is only buy what you really need. You can easily be tempted to buy much more of overpriced garbage. If I need a smartphone--I buy it up front.

I would never buy any of these over priced phones from a provider on a time payment. I am not a stupid poor person who buys more than they can afford. I only buy what I can afford and incur no debt. There are many pay as you go plans that work well and can save money.

That is my opinion and I sure you will hear others,

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-28-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 03:45 PM

14,018 posts, read 20,323,805 times
1. Best cell phone. You need good signal strength at: your work location, your house/apt. Cannot answer the question without testing.

2. Internet/cable. It is a duopoly. Comcast or CenturyLink. Some people love/hate one or the other. All evidence is anecdotal.

3. TV is satellite. Another duopoly. Dish or DirectTV. Some people love/hate one or the other. All evidence is anecdotal.

Do not expect significant price differences.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,504,493 times
Over the Air TV is the best thing to get in Denver. Add Netflix or similar if you want more watching opportunities but getting by with Over the Air is easy. We have plenty of free TV.

For cell phone coverage is best to inquire of those where you live and work so as to have coverage in both locations. If you go to the mountains for work or play then Verizon is probably the best for coverage on trails and at campgrounds. Some carriers have very poor coverage and no roaming when you get away from the metro area.

Century Link for DSL vs. Comcast for cable internet depends on where you live also. In some locations you can get both. Then you just have to compare rates and neighbor recommendations.

Basically you need to wait until you get a place to live and then see what is available.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:40 PM

42 posts, read 54,200 times
LiveContent- Thanks for all the wonderful advice and saving I will incur following your tips!

By the way:

When buying Internet how do you know what package and speed to buy? Its all so confusing, so many choices!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-08-2014 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 12-08-2014, 09:56 PM

38 posts, read 43,161 times
This place claims to offer gigabit speeds with prices comparable with Google Fiber FORETHOUGHT.net Internet for home - FORETHOUGHT.net - anyone ever use them? I have a feeling they only do apartment buildings not individual homes but hoping I'm wrong

Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodnmic View Post
LiveContent- Thanks for all the wonderful advice and saving I will incur following your tips!

By the way:

When buying Internet how do you know what package and speed to buy? Its all so confusing, so many choices!
I have Comcast Performance Speed which is 25 Mbps down and 5 up. That is more than sufficient. However, Comcast has announced they are doubling these speed tiers at no cost in a few weeks for the Performance, Blast and Extreme. So, I will be at 50 down which much more than I need now. So, they will try to sell you more than you need and not tell you that the speed is increasing but Performance is all you need.

I pay $66.95 a month. It is more because I do not have any package of TV or their Telephone. As, I said I do not watch Television and the savings of $10 will not offset the price of basic cable which I think is now $22 a month.

Their Telephone is a big scam as they require you to rent the telephony modem ( it is different than the standard modem) at $8 a month and then, believe it or not, they require you now to buy the backup battery in case of power failure. Since you are single in an apartment, you only need a cell phone.

Yes, you can buy the telephony modem but it is hard to get and expensive and they seem to want to charge a install fee. If you do not buy their telephony then you can just buy a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for about $60--you will need DOCSIS 3.0 for these speeds--DO NOT BUY a DOCSIS 2.2 modem as they are out of date and will not work at these speeds.

There is no issue installing your own modem. You buy it, plug it in; call them up and give them the MAC address and they immediately provision it on their network. The router is just very easy today as you plug it in and it has all these automatic stuff for the non technical to get it to connect to the modem.

However, they will try to sell you a combined Modem/router and pay an install and if you have that need then you that is what you need to do if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. I personally do not like a combined modem/router because it is easier to troubleshoot separate devices and the router do change technologies more often--I have bought several over the years.

I have had cable internet as long as it has been around--Comcast bought the system from the old AT&T which initially installed it. I think I have had it over 20 years and have saved a big bundle by buying my own modems. I have gone through 3 modems over the years as the DOCSIS standards changes but with that small cost, it still saves money.

The more you buy, the more you will pay and the more you will be scammed. In addition, I would never sign any contract to save money.

You could go with CenturyLink and rent or buy a DSL modem but I do not care what they allege, I do not think the DSL system is as good as cable internet. However, they are now installing some different hybrid stuff that may be good but I cannot speak of it. It will first be installed down near your richer neighborhoods in the South Town but I do not know much about it as I do not have the need as it is not available here in the north.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-08-2014 at 10:45 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 AM

122 posts, read 134,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Best cell phone. You need good signal strength at: your work location, your house/apt. Cannot answer the question without testing.

2. Internet/cable. It is a duopoly. Comcast or CenturyLink. Some people love/hate one or the other. All evidence is anecdotal.

3. TV is satellite. Another duopoly. Dish or DirectTV. Some people love/hate one or the other. All evidence is anecdotal.

Do not expect significant price differences.
Is the internet traffic filtered (closed ports)? Can you host a web site on your computer at home for example?

In the past I had to switch internet providers because they were blocking incoming requests on port 80. They offered a non-restricted "business" account which was twice the price and 3 times slower than the personal account.

What is the case with Comcast and CenturyLink?

What are the upload speeds for Comcast - I cannot find them.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:31 PM

2,693 posts, read 2,342,941 times
It would be great if the Denver metro area had Google Fiber, we need more ISP variety.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 PM

14,018 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Default Wasted space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
It would be great if the Denver metro area had Google Fiber, we need more ISP variety.
We don't.
Next on your wish list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or