U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 PM

27 posts, read 53,174 times

Advertisements

Do people in Colorado have in ground outdoor pools?

I am looking to move in the denver/aurora area and the only homes with pools I can find are indoor pools and those home are over $1m.
Is it a really bad idea to have an indoor pool in Colorado?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 8 days ago)

10,876 posts, read 29,272,530 times
Pools are not popular, less than 2% of single family houses have in ground pools.

Heated pools are expensive to heat. Many communities have pools. Lots of houses have hot tubs.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,655,721 times
I count at least 5 here > https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...9aeed43d2e2426

Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,495,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You do not know this area well as your post shows! Of course, pools are more common in very expensive homes, as in the view you cited. That does not contradict the fact that home pools are not that common. The OP indicated that she found pools in million dollar which you could assume she could not afford.

Livecontent

Old 12-02-2014, 09:26 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,237,425 times
As long as I've lived here (nearly 18 years), I've yet to meet anybody who has their own pool.

I'm going to take a guess and say several reasons are at play on this.

1.) Colorado is not a water-rich state. People might find it costly/impractical to keep up a pool as a result.

2.) Colorado's weather can be pretty iffy--we've seen snow in late May and early September. Not necessarily a *common* occurrence, but it happens often enough that people may figure not much point in having a pool that they can only keep open for three months.

a.) Something else to consider is the school year in Colorado. It seems a lot of school districts start in early/mid-August, and get out in early/mid-May. We've already established opening a pool in May probably isn't all that feasible for this area, and once the kids are back in school all day, keeping it open it probably too much trouble for so little use. So really....maybe a family would get two and a half months use out of their own pool, if they had one.

3.) I think, because of the lower humidity, Colorado just doesn't tend to feel as hot...so therefore, people don't have the urge to swim to cool off that they might in more humid areas.

4.) From what I've seen...backyards in Colorado aren't very large. At least, not large enough to contain a pool and leave any backyard left. My backyard where I grew up was easily twice the size of the majority of backyards I've seen here.

I'm speaking as somebody who grew up in St. Louis, and my family (and many others in my very middle-class neighborhood) had pools in the backyard. But in St. Louis, my dad could usually get the pool ready late April/early May (sometimes even earlier, like late March, depending), and keep it going until usually mid-September, sometimes late September. (He always closed it when the leaves started to fall, since the tree in our backyard hung over the pool.) But you're talking five to six months, and also in an area where water is plentiful, and our school year (at the time) was Labor Day weekend to Memorial Day weekend, so we kids were able to take advantage of having our own pool during the hottest season of the year.

I also saw a lot of middle-class families in Tulsa (when I lived there) with their own pools, but Tulsa's situation would be similar to St. Louis's--in fact, being a little farther south, Tulsa enjoyed a slightly longer 'pool season' than St. Louis did.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 PM

86,830 posts, read 102,147,201 times
At least one home in my neighborhood has an in-ground pool, and a number of us have above-ground pools. The Colorado summer is at least as hot as that of upstate New York, where pools are very popular.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,113,032 times
Denver born and raised here. I've never once been to a home in the Denver metro area that has a pool.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:26 AM

4,691 posts, read 4,313,834 times
I've lived all over Colorado, Denver included, and while I'm sure there's probably an outdoor pool here or there, I've never seen one. As others have noted, Colorado's/Denver's climate really isn't very pool friendly. Plus, Denver has watering restrictions in the summer months and an outdoor pool might be included along with your lawn. In my part of Colorado, you get major cost penalties if you use over a given amount of water per month. Leave the garden hose running all night by accident and surprise! Your water bill just got doubled. In Colorado there's also a certain social stigma toward people who openly squander gallons and gallons of precious water on something like an outdoor pool. If you're looking to buy in an upscale million dollar plus neighborhood, you could probably get away with it, but even if you're a billionaire, I'd advise against it. Water is just too precious out here. Why squander it on a pool? It's like taking a bath in champaign.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:11 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,823,707 times
I love swimming. In Ft Collins we swam at Horsetooth Reservoir.

In Denver, we used to swim at the YMCA or at Congress Park Public Pool. (Cherry Creek Reservoir just never seemed that clean.)

When I was an adult with my own kids and could finally afford it, we joined Virginia Vale Swim Club. I even kept the membership when my kids had outgrown going there, because I just like to swim, and it was quieter and not so crowded.

I did know a couple people with in-ground pools in Denver. It's safe to say that they were well-to-do.
I can't imagine the cost of heating a large in-ground pool during the Denver winter, but one of them did because they enjoy swimming year-round.

I also agree with Katiana that Denver summers feel plenty hot. A temporary above-ground pool can be refreshing and not all that costly. A quick google showed plenty of businesses that deal in above-ground pools, ditto for in-ground. I assume that some Coloradans are out there supporting these companies, though I couldn't say how many.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 AM

5,134 posts, read 3,655,721 times
There are pools in the suburbs. I realize that pools are not the norm in the Denver area, but spend some time playing with the Google satellite view over areas like Parker. I'm sure these homes are all $700K+, but many have pools. There are also public pools and water parks >

Top Waterparks And Pools In Denver CBS Denver

Nine of the best pools in and around Denver - The Denver Post

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-03-2014 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or