U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

My husband and I are in our early 30's and relocating to Denver this winter. I've read great things on this forum about the Highlands area and Wash Park, but would love to get some feedback specific to our situation & interests if any of you would be willing to share your local expertise.

Me: working at UC Aurora
Him: TBD - will be on the job hunt
Kids: Not yet... but looking to start within 1-2 years. Therefore, not super worried about quality of schools yet, but definitely that of child care options and generally young family-friendliness.
Pets: we've got a 60lb lab mix

We've bounced around a lot - SF, Seattle, Portland, Philly... so if it helps, here are the neighborhoods we've enjoyed in the past.
SF: Dolores Park, lower Pac Heights
Seattle: Queen Anne, Ballard, Green Lake
Portland: SE Portland (Division area, for example), Mississippi, Alberta
Philly: Queen Village, Fitler Square

We are hoping for an older 'hood with some mature greenery. My husband is a chef and we'd love to be within walking distance to artisan bakeries/cafes and a couple of great restaurants, as well as a natural foods grocery store. While we really enjoy a great bourbon cocktail, the bar scene isn't super important at this point. The Highlands area sounds nice, but I'd prefer a <10 mile/25 min commute and wondering if it would be easier to be on the east side of the city. Would that make much of a difference while working in Aurora? Hours are fairly typical.

Proximity to an off-leash dog park or nice park (doesn't have to be particularly big) would be awesome. Looking to spend $1800-2100 for a 2 bed/1-2 bath bungalow-style house or apartment (ideally with easy outside access for the dog). Love older homes with character, don't mind small rooms/closets/baths, etc.

Thanks a million in advance! Really appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,488,646 times
Take a look at the area SE of the intersection of Colorado and Mississippi. It is an area called Virginia Village.

Here are some rentals there currently.

4855 E Kansas Dr, Denver, CO 80246 is For Rent - Zillow

1365 S Clermont St, Denver, CO 80222 is For Rent - Zillow

1285 S Hudson St, Denver, CO 80246 is For Rent - Zillow

Nearby Garland Park:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/garland-park-denver

Through it runs Cherry Creek Trail. A spectacular trail that you could walk the dog on every day.
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/cherry-creek-trail
I would pick the Hudson St. listing just for the access to this trail. Pics of the trail:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cher...w=1536&bih=709

Just across Colorado (to the West) is Bonnie Brae. Older more quaint architecture.

1176 S Clayton St, Denver, CO 80210 is For Rent - Zillow

Read the descriptions of some of the rentals. They give an idea of what is in the area. You can search on the terms like Gaylord Street Shops to see what is included.
eat

Just to the north of Virginia Village is an area called Glendale.
Glendale, CO - Official Website - Places to Eat
There are alot of chains on the list but there are also independents. The area has alot of very close amenities.

Last edited by mic111; 12-06-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Look west of Quebec and east of I-25.
Look north of 6th Avenue and south of 45th.

Decent for your commute.

Be prepared for the price of rents.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:08 PM

323 posts, read 428,461 times
Highland and Berkeley sound like neighborhoods that fit the bill for your lifestyle, but commuting across downtown is never fun during rush hour. The area where all of the new and hottest restaurants are locating is RiNo (River North), but the area is a redeveloping industrial area north of downtown, so the homes are mostly modern condos or lofts. It is near Five Points, which has a lot of older Victorian types of homes and some bungalows. Other areas to consider are Baker, which reminds me a lot of Portland, and Congress Park, which has a lot of Bungalows and some Four Squares. Park Hill would be an easy commute to the Anschutz campus, feels very similar to Northern California bungalow areas (reminds me of North Berkeley, CA), but doesn't have the density of restaurants and walkable amenities as the other neighborhoods. Here are dog park locations in Denver: Dog Parks | Denver Parks and Recreation.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:21 PM

Here are example of home rentals in each of these neighborhoods:

Park Hill: 1606 Eudora St, Denver, CO 80220 is For Rent - Zillow
Congress Park: 1046 Adams St, Denver, CO 80206 is For Rent - Zillow
Baker: 32 W 3rd Ave, Denver, CO 80223 is For Rent - Zillow
Highland: 3301 W 34th Ave, Denver, CO 80211 is For Rent - Zillow

Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
From a commute standpoint I would be looking in Park Hill or Congress Park. Getting from Wash Park or Highland to CU Med Center will suck.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM

384 posts, read 407,287 times
I am only addressing a snippet of the OP but you mentioned kids as in 1-2 years and you were not that concerned about schools yet.

First, there are some good elementary schools in DPS, but I've met a lot of people (dozens - literally) that left the city in their mid-30's when the kids approached school age and moved to the suburbs. Just at our school and in our neighborhood we've seen a large influx of people from the Highlands, Uptown, and even downtown lofts who eventually traded the convenience of great restaurants for suburban life with decent schools, a little yard, and off street parking.

I only mention this as you really do need to plan for schools eventually, even if it's not in your immediate future.

I'll also note that many of these people I've met were young hipsters (not using that in a negative fashion at all) who bought in not so nice areas when younger and more tolerant of the negatives of city living and benefited greatly as they fixed up their homes and watched others move in and do the same - making a lot off their homes when they decided to sell.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,621 times
Thanks all for the insight.

Claire S, your comments definitely echo what I'm reading. We're honing in on Congress Park and Park Hill for the ease of commute and their consistent recommendation. I'm a little worried that there doesn't seem to be many places on the market right now (at least looking at craigslist) - I'm sure most people avoid moving during Dec/Jan!

It's beginning to look like we might have to secure housing sight unseen - yikes. If anyone knows of any really solid apartment buildings in the area, I'd appreciate recommendations.

Step33 - these are great thoughts and I'll keep that in mind. I think it's unlikely we'll be moving into a place for more than 2-3 years, but it definitely doesn't hurt to land in a good district.

Thanks again all.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Denver is a very competitive rental market. I happen to be on the Park Hill Neighborhood Facebook page and have seen a number of folks post rentals there - which may give you a competitive advantage since many users will post there before craigslist. Visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/42587221225/.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:47 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default You are moving to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoDEN View Post
a little worried that there doesn't seem to be many places on the market right now
Denver is one the tightest places in the country for both rentals and purchase.
The rental vacancy rate for single-family houses is 2%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver