Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,047 times

Advertisements

So I just got a job in the DTC area and will be moving from Florida to Denver in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to the cold as I hate heat/humidity and really want to try mountain-related activities. I need some help deciding where to live. I've looked at some places online and will make my decision after I get there and have a tour of a few, but I could use some help narrowing it down by location. Here are my criteria in order of importance:

-I'm looking to spend up to ~$1,200 a month on rent and utilities.

-I'll probably go out 1-2 times a week, so I'd like to be in/near an urban area with nice bars/restaurants and people my age. The less driving to get there the better.

-I don't want to have to fight for parking, so an area with actual parking spots, not parking on the street, or at least an easy time finding parking on the street.

-A commute to work no more than ~45 minutes.

-A walkable area where I could run in the mornings/evenings. Also I might get a dog at some point so pet-friendly.

Places that caught my eye were LoDo, Five Points, Cherry Creek, Park Hill, Stapleton, and Lowry. LoDo, Five Points and Cherry Creek seem slightly more expensive than I'd like. I read that Stapleton had a huge baby boom which made me think it has a slightly older crowd in their 30s. And I read Lowry is dead at night. Don't recall anything about Park Hill. Is any of this accurate? I'd appreciate some recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:08 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,375,274 times
All your choices that you mentions are terrible for a commute. I would suggest you look much closer to the DTC.

There are walkable areas near and actually in the DTC that have apartments. I would look for apartments up and down Yosemite and off Hampden to the north of the DTC. I would look off Bellview and Arapahoe.

However, your choices indicate that you are wanting a dense walkable area of shops, restaurants and bars which are indicative of the areas that you have selected but there are other areas closer. In addition those choices have tight street parking but in the south near the DTC, you will find parking lots.

I would then look to the west at University and Arapahoe near and in the Streets of Southglenn in Centennial. I would also consider looking to the south into Lone Tree where amenities abound that attract the younger crowd.

You can also choose to think about living near one of the light rail station and having an easy commute into the DTC, if it fits your job location and hours. I would then think about near the South Pearl/Louisiana Station. You will definitely find a young crowd also near Denver University at University and Evans with a train station nearby.

There are parks and amenities all over the Denver area and the south towns have extensive places to enjoy and then you will be closer to the DTC.

Ah, but the rub is that rents are sky high all over as there is a housing shortage with all these folks streaming into Colorado.

Livecontent

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Live close to work.
Maybe, downtown Littleton would be ok.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,505,074 times
The West Wash Park to DTC commute isn't bad, but budget will be a little tough. It would be my number one choice if I were you.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,203,160 times
There are some very nice bars in the Tech Center area, but other than happy hour on Fridays, they are pretty slow. Really the only place that is going to meet your social criteria (presumably single women in their 20s) is downtown Denver. But I don't understand the logic of commuting 35 minutes each way to downtown Denver 5 days a week to be only 10 minutes from the social scene you desire 1 or 2 nights a week, when you could live 10 minutes or less from work, pay $300+/month less, and commute (possibly on the light rail) to said downtown social scene 30 minutes each way 1 or 2 nights a week. The 20s single women that you will see at said Denver social scene don't live downtown either.

Last edited by Robert5; 12-07-2014 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
But I don't understand the logic of commuting 35 minutes each way to downtown Denver 5 days a week to be only 10 minutes from the social scene you desire 1 or 2 nights a week, when you could live 10 minutes or less from work, pay $300+/month less, and commute (possibly on the light rail) to said downtown social scene 30 minutes each way 1 or 2 nights a week. The 20s single women that you will see at said Denver social scene don't live downtown either.
Very good point. I was going off my current situation where my daily commute is ~40 minutes. But you're right, it makes much more sense for my daily commute to be shorter than a weekly one.

So the areas I'm hearing are basically between Belleview and County Line?
Lone Tree seems a bit too far from the city and based off its wikipedia article seems filled with older, married people. And expensive. What attracts a young crowd to that area?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 AM

3,115 posts, read 5,024,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There are walkable areas near and actually in the DTC that have apartments. I would look for apartments up and down Yosemite and off Hampden to the north of the DTC. I would look off Bellview and Arapahoe.
For more urban (slightly more gritty) experience look off Hampden.

For more suburban look off Arapahoe.

Both these areas have alot that you can walk to including the light rail.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 AM

6,718 posts, read 6,437,816 times
lol, if you're like me, it's a bit overwhelming moving to an unknown city so I've decided to rent something short term until I can figure out which way is up. I've found a good deal of short term rentals that typically require a 30 day minimum. I'm looking to move into something like that initially, learn my way around Denver and then move into something more permanent. They cost a little more, but trying to figure out where to live in Denver from a forum is difficult at best. Don't get me wrong, the help here on this forum is invaluable, but for a newcomer, it can be like learning a foreign language.

Cheers!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-08-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 AM

694 posts, read 1,036,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Live close to work.
Maybe, downtown Littleton would be ok.
DT Littleton would work; however, depending on where you're making bank in the DTC, you'll mostly be on surface streets (which will be jammed during rush hour and slow along Arapahoe due to several schools) to get over to the DTC.

Great bars, boutique shops, and running trails in DT Littleton. Also, for great bike riding, take Santa Fe South to C-470 and hop on the bike trail.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,375,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c6h12o6 View Post
Very good point. I was going off my current situation where my daily commute is ~40 minutes. But you're right, it makes much more sense for my daily commute to be shorter than a weekly one.

So the areas I'm hearing are basically between Belleview and County Line?
Lone Tree seems a bit too far from the city and based off its wikipedia article seems filled with older, married people. And expensive. What attracts a young crowd to that area?
The distance from the city is not only measured by miles, it is also measured by how fast one can get from one point to another or if there is a need to go anywhere else or into the city. What I mean is that Lone Tree is extremely well served by Public Transit that can connect fast to the DTC and to downtown Denver. It is also completely covered by Call-n-Ride that will pick you up at your residents and take you anywhere within the city and to the transit points and return you to your home. So, essentially you are closer to everything with this public transit. Since Lone Tree is wealthy it has recently invested a big pile of its own monies to stimulate a further expansion of the rail to the southern parts of the city.

Being wealthy is another big advantage is that it attracts first all the new restaurants, stores and venues that come into the area. It is also centered by one of the major shopping areas. This makes the residents think they have it all around them within close proximity and they can easily get to the unique amenities of downtown Denver very quickly with the good public transit.

Lone Tree is not all older married people. If you look closely you will see extensive large new condominiums and luxury apartments that exist in Lone Tree. The residents of these are young professionals with good salaries. Many work in the DTC, Downtown Denver, offices in Lone Tree but also in other very large office parks which are close and adjacent to Lone Tree--Inverness Park and Meridian Office Park. These are homes to large corporate sites that attract these young professionals. So, you will then find bars, restaurants all around Lone Tree where the young well paid congregate.

Do not make the mistake and assume that these large homes are only resided by the married. You will find many wealthy single professionals that can afford living there. If I was young and wanted to meet a smart young woman who makes a good salary--I would hang around Lone Tree.

Also, keep another idea in your head. You are now 24, soon you will be 25 and then 30 and then 35 and so on... Those ages and companions are not so far into your future--it will come quickly. The ones you will want to be around will be older, more sophisticated and experienced with successful achievements as you will also become in an few years. Consequently, you will see those "young 20s somethings" in the dust of your past as you move on...Those companions are found in places like Lone Tree.

I know much about the area as I have family that reside there and once in my distant past, when I was young, I worked in Inverness Park. The area around is now much bigger and more attractive to young professionals.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-08-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver