U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 07:20 AM

9 posts, read 12,200 times

Advertisements

Let me explain a bit first. I'm 22 years old with two certifications in digital and graphic designing.

I've lived in florida my entire life, and i hate it here. Between the old people, my insane family, and the expensive living, it just isnt the place for someone middle class and just starting a life. Everyone else my age here has moved somewhere due to living costs, or still lives with their mom. I hate it here.

So after some digging i decided colorados economy is doing the best and id really like to live there. Id be moving in june/july with about 5k in my pocket. Maybe a bit more.

I am moving with my older dad, two dogs, and fiancé. We all are scrounging up as much as we can, and we would be living in a 2bdr 1bath . Duplex or house, whatever we could do. I think i may be able to get a job before i go there, which is what i really want ideally, but im worried 5k wont be enough or that we wont find jobs in time. Castle rock seems to have alot of jobs available, so its why i chose there.

Ive seen alot of this website in my searches and you guys are honestly really helpful. Is 5k enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:14 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,934,395 times
5K is pretty tight for making a job without a move. Colorado's economy isn't bad, but we're also not topping the country. Moving is expensive, find the job first. If you can't find the job first, it means the economy isn't as strong as you were hoping for, and that would undermine your entire thesis.

I agree with you that Colorado is a wonderful place to live and Castle Rock is a beautiful area. However, you won't find landlords that are very comfortable renting to someone with only 5k in cash and no job, they tend to want to see employment before signing a lease.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Those are good points.

I checked with the job listings as of right now and i qualify for alot of the jobs currently available. Granted im moving in 7 months time, but that did make me feel more comfortable. How much in yoir opinion do you think i should save up?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:50 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
...Castle rock seems to have alot of jobs available, so its why i chose there...

in..digital and graphic designing...

vs. Denver and the all the high tech companies located in the nearer suburbs...

I do not think so! With your $5000 in savings, you will be sucking it up with a longer commute!

Livecontent

Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 AM

Also a good point. But if im doing graphic design work, its going to be freelancing. And freelancing does not require me to be there. Hell, ive done jobs for people ive never met in different states.

I would be more then willing to do a customer service job if i have too. Which ive seen several adverts for.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:25 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
$5k might be a bit tight when you start adding up costs. When you move, will you just pack up what you can fit in the car? If so, then you will either need to find a furnished rental or buy furniture. Be sure to factor in those costs.

Have you looked through the threads discussing rental rates in the Denver area? Filter through those and check Craigslist for a good idea of how much a "decent" two bedroom will cost. Add in the application fees, security deposit, first and last month rent, and you can see how this adds up quickly. Then you have two dogs. First, that cuts down on apartments that are willing to rent to you and, secondly, you will be paying a pet deposit on top of all the other fees.

I assume that the fiancé and maybe the Dad will also be looking for jobs? Unless they freelance like you, they will want to be living somewhere within a reasonable commute distance to work. Getting from Castle Rock to just the south end of the Denver metro area in bad weather can be challenge.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:46 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,814,648 times
I live in Castle Rock and there definitely isn't a lot of jobs available here. If there are, it is retail or something like that. I know very few people who live AND work in CR. Most (myself and my wife included) commute about 35-45 min north into the Denver Tech Center for work.

If you have never visited Colorado, I would highly recommend coming out first and driving around. There are plenty of areas to rent that would be closer to where all the jobs would be. You mentioned that you could freelance, but what about your father and your fiancé?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Where would you recommend i move then? And i searched online for the jobs, and they seem to have alot available. Maybe just dated wanted ads then?

My father is more into the cooking buisness and my fiance will work any job he can get his hands on. Alot of people in this thread are saying denver, but isnt denver expensive?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:04 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,814,648 times
My thought would be to look for employment, have employment before you move out here, then look for places near your employer.

Colorado has a lot of great cities. Look for jobs in Colorado Springs, look in Denver, look in Boulder, look in Ft. Collins, look all over the place.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:42 PM

My only reserves in living in places like that is the living prices. Seems like in cities like that it would be expensive to live. My fiance is just a high school grad with a few year of job experience under his belt. And my father has to work easier jobs like that for his health as well. What would you recommend location wise for jobs like that?

Thank you for the replies by the way.. Its my first time moving so far and im a bit worried
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or